PDA

View Full Version : Pre-spawning behavior

BurtonKoi
05-16-2009, 07:37 PM
In years past, I have always waited to see the main event on whatever day it lands on. This year, I was wondering, if there were any pre-spawning behaviors of either males or females along with timeframes that I could observe?

rosekoi
05-16-2009, 07:39 PM
You pervert ;):D:

Koijazz
05-16-2009, 07:48 PM
They'll breed when the temp is at least in the 70s during the day time. When I put my male and female together in the pool, the female and the male swim all over the place and she's all wiggly. For some reason she pushes the male around too. If you have plants in the water, they'll hang around those a lot looking interested, not scared.

tyco4357
05-16-2009, 10:07 PM
You may see a mock spawn, no spawning but getting ready. Males may chase males and females may chase females. The females will usually sit on the bottom and wait till the temp is just right. I usually have this happen at nighttime. The males will also go down to the bottom next to the females. When she decides to take off, it's time! They can start as early as 1-2 in the morning, but more likely around 4-5 and go to about 9-10 am. You may also see the females at the edge of the pond. They are not making any kind of a nest but trying to decide where they want to lay their eggs. It's just some weird behavior that they do.

BurtonKoi
05-16-2009, 11:44 PM
You pervert ;):D:

I know, I was hoping there was some sort of foreplay! :clap:

I guess I should say why I asked this question, other than being a perv. Tonight, my males are being aggressive to all in the pond. Lots of nipping, pushing and the females are just hanging around taking it. This is unusual behavior.

lukef
05-17-2009, 12:45 AM
If he starts following her around like amale dog does to a female dog before she is even close to being in heat then it'll be within 24hrs.

I was at KoiAmerica 2 years ago and a guy thought I was admiring his koi. he had just put them in the tank.
i told him, "Nope."
I am wondering what they are doing here as they are just about to spawn..he looked close and asked a couple of people and then the koi were taken home.
it couldn't have been any more obvious..he had his nose shoved up her vent and was swimming her into the side of the tank.