PDA

View Full Version : Best suitor......?

gonecadd
05-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Friends of mine have a shiro utsuri that is either holding eggs or she's carrying a lot of fat. Their fish never spawn.

They were asking me about possibly doing a controled spawn and her best possible mate. Neither of us have another shiro utsuri so.......
Would you breed her with:
Hi Utsuri
Shiro
Failed Goromo (lost his color and is now all white)

What possible outcome of fry would you get with the Shiro Utsuri and the Hi Utsuri?
Other than more utsuri, would you get Showa or Sanke?

Also, this is a pretty big girl , about 24 inches, but we don't want her all banged up. Should we try to get one male about her size? A smaller male? Or two small males?

NaturesCall
05-06-2009, 11:31 PM
Your playing with fire if your going to mate her with a fish from another pond without quarantining the mate.

Joey S
05-07-2009, 12:47 AM
Karen, I can appreciate your friend's dilemna...We had a very large female Kohaku that seemed to be permanently laden with eggs. Even a winter fast didn't seem to help her absorb or drop her eggs. Most of our other fish at the time were no where near her size or maturity. We finally purchased a nice Male Kohaku from a friend and added him to the pond...nothing after two years. Ultimately, both were rehomed via our club Auction. I don't know that she ever found her mate and spawned...

So, what can I say...I have no idea about the best mating/pairing...If it is the health of the female that is of concern, I guess I would leave her alone...fast her if need be hoping that she would absorb her eggs. If that doesn't happen, then cross that bridge later.

gonecadd
05-07-2009, 12:48 AM
We're just thinking at this point.
BUT the fish are clean.
They would most likely use two of their own. I suggested the two utsuris. They have a very wide variety of koi and no two of the same or not a male and female. Most of their pond are males.

gonecadd
05-07-2009, 12:57 AM
They were thinking of blocking off one end of their pond with a huge piece of plexiglass, and putting the female and one or two males in that end but I really think she would get hurt in there. It would also be a very small area, IMO.

IF they go through with this I've advised that they either get an Intex pool or I've offered my QT for the spawn which I can keep a close eye on them here and the walls are padded. They would have approx. 1200 gallons to play in.

I'm guessing their fish don't try to spawn in the pond because there are no plants for the females.

Joey S
05-07-2009, 01:06 AM
Your original question was what to pair this female with...Well I would ask you and your friend to back up a minute....The first question would be WHY the decision to promote a spawn? Are they concerned that the female is egg laden? Do they WANT to have a spawn? Are they prepared to deal with (nurture) the results of a spawn? Do they want to raise fry/fish?

Edit: When the fish want to spawn/are ready, they are not thinking about plants. :rolleyes:

gonecadd
05-07-2009, 11:00 PM
The main reason for a possible spawn is that they fear the female is egg laden.
She's a big girl but I can't decide if she's holding eggs or fat.
She doesn't quiet look like my females when they have eggs. They carry down low, and kinda get wide. This girl has a big underbelly from her gill plates down.
I'm thinking she's got a lot of fat on her but they feed her lots better food than I feed mine. Hikarii I think.

Back to the main question.....What would you breed a shiro utsuri with? besides another shiro utsuri.

Super Kindai
05-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Her best possible mate is Hi Uturi..(IMO) since they have relatively closer blood.
you can get Shiro Uturi, Hi Uturi, Showa, Shiro muji, and grayish-black color fish as if magoi. Also, possibly few Kohaku and few jet black color fish as if Karasugoi.

gonecadd
05-09-2009, 01:21 AM
Hi Super.
Well Hi Utsuri was my first suggestion to them.
I figured that could give the babies a combination of black, red, white.