PDA

View Full Version : Found fry in my settling chamber

rcmike
05-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Hey guys, yesterday I was draining my SC and saw some things wriggling on the lid of my Answer when the top came out of the water. I stopped draining it when I saw them. They are still pretty tiny and any effort to remove them would probably kill most of them, besides they are so tiny they are very hard to find. I am sure there are probably in the main pond but so small I can't find them in the algae. Would it be a good idea to delay draining the SC until the fry get a little bigger? I have a very low bioload. I raised some fry last year in an aquarium and some were left in the smaller pond I had then and the ones in the pond grew very fast compared to the ones in the aquarium. Unfortunately they turned out to be koi/goldfish hybrids. :no: I did learn from the experience though. I would like to leave them in the pond somehow, maybe in some sort of a net enclosure when they get a little bigger. Any advice on what to do now? I have some fish fry raising experience, even raised some seahorses before, but I'm looking for an easy way. I would be happy if I just have a few live.

jejjcook
05-03-2009, 11:52 PM
I was about to drain my settling chamber yesterday and found fry as well. I netted 200 to 300 and moved to an aquarium. There are still more in the SC but hard to get. I don't really want/need any more koi but did not want to pump them out either. I'll work on finding a home for the survivors.

Shorty
05-04-2009, 03:37 PM
I always find fry in my filter system. You should try to pull some out and raise them, it will be fun. Your SC probably has tons of great stuff for fry to eat, so the ones left in there will have plenty to eat and grow with. But if not sorted, the tobies will eat the smaller fry and you will only have a few after a while.

Got any pictures?

rcmike
05-04-2009, 06:46 PM
I may try to get some out when they get a tiny bit bigger. I have a hard time even seeing them in there. I don't think I can get a very good picture. :)

rcmike
05-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Any hints on getting them to come to the top so I can get them out? The SC is really just a 55 gal. barral with an answer in it so it would be hard to get anything out below the answer. Do you think turning off all the water flow and putting a light over it at night might lure them to the top?

rainblood
05-06-2009, 07:57 PM
I would leave them. They've made it this far...

Shorty
05-07-2009, 04:09 AM
Any hints on getting them to come to the top so I can get them out? The SC is really just a 55 gal. barral with an answer in it so it would be hard to get anything out below the answer. Do you think turning off all the water flow and putting a light over it at night might lure them to the top?

Idea 1 --
- block plumbing in and out of the barrel
- setup a siphon to 2nd barrel - with like 1" hose
- pump water from 2nd barrel back to 1st
- make sure pump has intake screen so doesn't suck the fry into it.
- then can remove a lot of the water from barrel 2, and will have easier access to the fry.

I've done this, it doesn't get all the fry, and my filters are above ground so what I did was basically siphon 80% of the water to barrel 2, and then I scooped the rest of the water out.

Idea 2 ---
- almost same as 1, except just setup siphon and barrel 2 while your original barrel is running. Some fry will get sucked up in the siphon, and the setup acts like a trap, getting the fry into the 2nd barrel where they are easier to access.

Idea 3 ---
shut off the plumbing to the barrel, and hand scoop all the water to another barrel. After fully transferred, reduce the water in barrel 2 and transfer the fry to their new destination.

The problem you will run into with any of the ideas is a large amount of muck will end up in your 2nd barrel, and you have to work through it to seperate your fry, which will hide in the muck. Even after you think you have them all, put the muck in a container with water, and let the muck settle. The stragglers will appear after the muck has settled.

Shorty

rcmike
06-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Well, after a few days the first batch was found in the filter they all disappeared. I think maybe the water got to cold for them since we had a cold spell during that time. I saw a few more yesterday so I am going to try and get them out today hopefully. My barrels are above ground too so that will help. I also thought about just opening the drain just a little so I don't stir up the muck so much and draining the water into some sort of chamber with screen on the output to keep the fry from being washed through.
These fry seem larger and more active than the first batch was. Hopefully I can save at least some of them.:yes: