PDA

View Full Version : Koi Fry Questions...Please advise

Cindy_AL
04-28-2009, 11:50 AM
I have koi eggs that I purchased which spawned last Wed or Thursday... received last Friday. I assume all that are going to hatch have done so. I was told to leave the hornwort (which the eggs were attached) in the tank even though there were alot of bad eggs but I read somewhere on this forum that you should remove it. Im confused as to what I should do.

I have kept a good check on the water quality & last night was the first time the ammonia levels were alittle elevated. I dissolved some of the ammonia remover tabs & poured it into the pool. (I have them in a large plastic kiddie pool in my garage with airstones) Because I took the water from our pond to fill the pool, it has alot of dead algae settled on the bottom. Im afraid to try to syphon it out because I may take babies too. Would it be ok to leave it until the fry are big enough to see better? I cannot remember the name of the stuff to reduce ammonia.. its like gravel in in a mesh bag.... anyway, I have one of those in the pool too.

The water temp had been between 75-79 degrees since they arrived but last night it had dropped to about 73 degrees. As far as the hatched fry are concerned, does the water temp need to be at a certain temp? I do not have a heater in there right now and according to the weather, I wouldnt expect the water temp to drop below 70 at any time.

I would GUESS that I may have 80-100 fry. Not nearly as many as I have heard of others having. Some are dark colored & easy to see but some are clear looking. Is that typical? I figured they would all be the same color when they hatched. So since I know many will not make it, I want to do all I can to make sure I am doing what I should. So last night I moved about 20 into a 10 gallon tank until they get alittle bigger then to a 50 gal rubbermaid container. I feel like if I have them in different tanks then maybe I will have a better survival rate. (especially if the ammonia spikes or something else happens that could kill everything in that tank)

Sorry for so many questions.... have tried to get the answers on my own but I just get more confused when I read different recommendations at different websites.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cindy

Finny
04-28-2009, 03:12 PM
I would leave the hornwort and the bad eggs alone in the kiddie pool. I would try to get a constant trickle of pond water in and out your kiddie pool somehow so that the water in the fry tank don't go foul on you. The bad eggs provide food for the bugs (infusoria) which in turn provide food for the koi fries. If you decide to remove the hornwort and the bad eggs keep them in a bucket and watch the bugs grow. You can use those bugs to feed the fries.

If you have a good water turn over rate, I wouldn't even worry about the gunk at the bottom of the tank as they also provide food for the koi fries to munch on. The key for me is a constant exchange of water in the koi fries container with the fresh water main koi pond. If you can do this you don't need to add chemicals.

Zeolite is the gravel stuff.

Koi fries come in all sort of color that is where the fun come in.

Good luck

Cindy_AL
04-28-2009, 04:13 PM
What about the temp... should I get a heater?

Finny
04-29-2009, 03:13 PM
You don't need a water heater.

I just want to emphasize the important of the constant exchange of water with the main pond. This would keep your water in the tub fresh and constant temperature. The key words are constant exchange. If you can't do this then please ignore my previous comment.

Cindy_AL
04-29-2009, 04:34 PM
I dont have a problem with the constant water change but I am having a crisis with my fish in the pond. I have posted a thread requesting advice so right now I am waiting to hear what the problem could be. If there is a parasite problem, should I still be using the pond water as an exchange in the fry tanks?

stephen
04-29-2009, 04:58 PM
I would remove the garbage and slowly change a lot of water making sure the temperature and pH does not change much.

Cindy_AL
05-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Most of the fry is over a wk old now. I became much more concerned about the dead algae on the bottom of the pool because I started finding tiny little red worms. I spent the entire day transferring each individual fish into a 50 gal tank so that I could completely empty & clean the pool. I counted over 200 fry.

I found a baby snail in one of the fry tanks today. Its pretty tiny.. Is it ok to leave it?

I have been diligently checking all 3 tanks for ammonia & doing the water changes. I am having to use my tap water since our pond is still being treated with Quick Cure. (Ick & Fungus) I have lost 1 goldfish & there are a few other who are not doing so well. All 7 of my koi are eating & seem to be fairing much better than the goldfish & shubunkins. I have had such an overwhelming week.

Cindy_AL
05-02-2009, 09:31 PM
BTW... I forgot to ask... I understand that most of the fry wont make it... at what age can I be more hopeful for their survival? When do most die? Just wondered if there was a magic age that they may be out of the woods for the most part.

tyco4357
05-02-2009, 11:00 PM
The worms you saw are fine, they will not hurt the fry, when they get bigger the fry will eat them. The snail is fine too, the more the merrier, they fry will eventually eat those too. they will suck them out of the shell. Yes, usually you can expect to lose about 60 percent. You just lose them as you go. The most will probably be in the beginning and then taper off. When they get a little bigger you will be able to see the deformed ones. There is no magic age tho. Make sure when you do a water change you use amquel. That helps to keep the nitrites and ammonia in check and dechlors the water too. When I raise my fry, in the beginning they are in 5 gallon rubbermaids, easy enough for me to change. I do complete water changes every 2 days and use amquel. They do fine. If you don't have the time then you need to find what is easy for you. Later when they are about a month I put them in my 400 gal baby vat to grow with sponge filters already seasoned in there.

Cindy_AL
05-03-2009, 08:00 AM
I have just been using a regular dechlorinator. I dont have amquel ... is that similar to Stress-Coat?

The worms look like they were hatching out of the algae or something in the algae. Some of the were pretty long and one end looked alot wide than the other. It scared me like something out of a sci-fi movie. Didnt want to take any chances.

I have them in a 50 gal rubbermaid container. (but its only filled halfway) It takes up alot less room. Are you saying it would be ok to keep them in that for awhile? If so, how long? Sure would make things easier for me.