PDA

View Full Version : Some mudpond q's

Midorigoi
04-21-2009, 05:08 PM
I *might* have access to a 100x50 ft mudpond about 4 ft deep over the summer, it's on a very good friend's property and is less than 30 mins away from my house! :cheer:

My questions are:

There are a TON of aquatic salamanders (the um word n e w t is censored?????:confused:)and frogs in this pond, I have never seen any bullfrogs except for this one MASSIVE one that was at least 12" in girth which worries me a bit, but I haven't seen one that big for a while.

Besides the bullfrogs, which I know are bad for the koi, is there anything I should worry about with the salamanders? They are only poisinous in their eft stage I believe. :yes:

Also the pond has quite a thick layer of leaf litter and I've seen a bunch of odd bugs in there like worms and such. Is this leaf litter bad and should I try to get it out (which will be a big task! :eek1:)

HAMMERHEAD
04-23-2009, 06:16 AM
I *might* have access to a 100x50 ft mudpond about 4 ft deep over the summer, it's on a very good friend's property and is less than 30 mins away from my house! :cheer:

My questions are:

There are a TON of aquatic salamanders (the um word n e w t is censored?????:confused:)and frogs in this pond, I have never seen any bullfrogs except for this one MASSIVE one that was at least 12" in girth which worries me a bit, but I haven't seen one that big for a while.

Besides the bullfrogs, which I know are bad for the koi, is there anything I should worry about with the salamanders? They are only poisinous in their eft stage I believe. :yes:

Also the pond has quite a thick layer of leaf litter and I've seen a bunch of odd bugs in there like worms and such. Is this leaf litter bad and should I try to get it out (which will be a big task! :eek1:)

Dont know much about salamanders but an old dirty pond might not be great to throw koi in. Most ponds get limed to help kill parasites before intoducing koi