PDA

View Full Version : Newbie fry question

DougA
04-20-2009, 12:05 PM
I've had a large pond (7,000+ gal) set up for nearly a year and thought it was now time to add some Koi. There are lots of emerging lilies, oxygenating plants, little critters like salamanders & smaller frogs and of course, lots of spring algae.

I just bought 8 Koi that are 2-3" and I'm trying to decide if and how they should be fed. I wasn't thinking that maybe I should try to train them for feeding in a small area first. It's pretty hard just to find them let alone feed them. My inclination is that they will find enough food on their own and be just fine. I did toss some flakes near where they were but they just swam away. Since the water is still cold, I'm not super worried but am I right to assume that they will find enough food on their own to survive?

If I add some 4" Koi, should I assume that there won't be any problems with munching on the smaller ones?

Thanks for your help. I'll post a few pix when things green up a bit more. It's still early Spring in Ontario.

Hirogoi
04-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Nah, they should be just fine. I'd be more worried about the frogs eating them.

DougA
04-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks so much. I'll keep my eye on the frogs. Too expensive to feed the frogs that's for sure.