PDA

View Full Version : My Koi Bred!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Koijazz
04-19-2009, 08:44 PM
This morning, I checked on my two koi who were in the breeding pool and they had bred!!:clap::yahoo::cheer::wee_hee: Already the eggs are developing eyes; they're not pitch black yet, just gray. The male was a 19 inch Ochiba and the female a 12 inch mutt. Hopefully I'll get some fish that can be considered actual breeds instead of mutts. The female's girth was 10 inches before the spawning and now it's about 6-7 inches! When should I add the malachite green? So far I've only spotted two unfertilized eggs but I'm sure that there's lots more. Here's some pics:

tyco4357
04-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Very good, expect fry in the next 3-7 days. Have fun!

Koijazz
04-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Over night the water temp. stayed at 70 degrees F. It didn't get that cold either. On Friday and Saturday night it's suppose to get down to 45 degrees F. I have two heaters, one a 200 watt and the other is about 75 watts I think. With the two heaters and the plastic tarp on top, will the water temp. stay pretty stable? Any advice would be helpful. Also, will it be okay to put in some malachite green today? Here's some more pics.

Koijazz
04-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Forgot to ask, when should I start hatching brine shrimp eggs. I know that at 82 degrees the eggs hatch in 24 hrs, but mine will only be at the same temp as the pool, so about 70-72 degrees. Any idea how long it will take to hatch the eggs?

Koijazz
04-20-2009, 10:08 PM
This morning the water was 70 and now it's 78 because the temp got to the 90s today. Is this okay? I know it's bad for the fry, but what about the eggs?

koikate
04-21-2009, 02:37 PM
The directions at the Malachite green site says that it's safe for koi eggs and will keep them from developing fungus, so you must be able to add it right away. And 78 degrees is just about right for fry.

Midorigoi
04-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Woa holy moly thats a TON OF EGGS! :eek1::eek1:

Good luck with em'! :yes:

Koijazz
04-22-2009, 10:40 AM
Yeah:yahoo::clap::cool::cheer:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I found a few fry this morning. I don't think I'll get that large of a hatch rate though. I didn't get the malachite green in on time and I don't want to do it now 'cause it will kill the fry. There are a lot of bad eggs:no: Here's the one good pic. The fry in it's circled.

Koijazz
04-22-2009, 01:25 PM
since I didn't get the malachite green in on time, there's a lot of fuzzy eggs. How good of a chance is there that there will still be a lot of good eggs?

Cowiche Ponder
04-22-2009, 01:32 PM
koijaz..your koi spawned..not bred... :D:

tyco4357
04-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Forgot to ask, when should I start hatching brine shrimp eggs. I know that at 82 degrees the eggs hatch in 24 hrs, but mine will only be at the same temp as the pool, so about 70-72 degrees. Any idea how long it will take to hatch the eggs?

It will take about a day to 2 for the eggs to hatch. You should start soon.

Koijazz
04-23-2009, 07:21 PM
I found this on a website "Koi fry can develop at temperatures as low as l7C(63F), in which case their incubation will take five or six days, or as high as 25C(77F), which will decrease their hatching time." Since my water temps have gotten to 78, could I have fried the eggs?! I can't find the three fry I found yesterday and have seen no new fry. Last year, all the good eggs were hatched by now.

jonathan
04-23-2009, 09:03 PM
give it another day or so. They apear out of the blue !!! ( or atleast mine did)

Hirogoi
04-26-2009, 12:25 PM
How are they doing?

Luck
04-26-2009, 12:29 PM
as far as the bad eggs go they need to be removed right away. The eggs will breakdown and cause a big ammonia spike and kill all your fry.

Koijazz
04-26-2009, 02:14 PM
No more have hatched and I can't find those three I found, so now they're grass fertilizer :(

Luck
04-26-2009, 04:32 PM
breeding is tough stuff!! Makes you really appreciate those that do it for a living!
My first time, out of 400 fry, I got two to survive!

Koijazz
04-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Since I apparently separated my koi too soon, my female still had some eggs left over. We're trying to see if maybe she'll breed again if she hasn't already obsorbed her eggs. I want to use the same male, but will he be ready to fertilize eggs again? It's been a week since I used him last.

Luck
04-26-2009, 08:12 PM
I think males are ready anytime:D:

Koijazz
04-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Well, they're back in the pool again. Fingers are crossed that she'll empty herself completely this time!

Koijazz
04-30-2009, 12:56 AM
After dinner I look in the pool and found eggs!:yahoo::cheer::clap: I've been busy trying to find malachite green which no store seems to know exists! So I had to buy Ich Away which contains Malachite Green that I used last year. So now I have beautiful blue water!!! I bailed water and replaced water until my back ached but was fortunate enough that the hose water was pretty much the same temp. as in the pool. Hopefully they'll all be healthy eggs and hatch!

Koijazz
05-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Here's a pic of one of the many eggs with eyes! If they're healthy, they should hatch tomorrow, day 3 correct?

Koijazz
05-03-2009, 10:58 AM
I just checked and found at least a dozen fry hatched!!! I know more are hatched that I can't find because one of the spawning material was loaded with eggs hardly has any. They are so cute. I'll post pics later. They look the same as the fry from the first hatch.

Koijazz
05-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Here's the promised picture. Within a small area I've counted 65 fry so far:yahoo::clap::cheer:

Poppajohn
05-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Grats . I raised my first few last year and it was really fun. They are all pond mutts but it was just fun raising them. Hoping to do it again this year with the 12' intex pool I purchased to raise them in. Well good luck and enjoy.:cool:

Koijazz
05-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Here's another pic. Within a small area I counted 100 so there's at least a couple hundred in the pool!!:yahoo:

Koijazz
05-04-2009, 07:56 PM
I measured them and they are 1/4"! Lat year, they weren't nearly as big as they are now at only a day old!

Luck
05-04-2009, 11:00 PM
what are you feeding them?

Koijazz
05-05-2009, 10:34 AM
For the moment they are getting string algae and algae wafers. I have ordered micro worms that should come in soon. I was going to hatch my brine shrimp eggs but they won't hatch. I tried when my first koi eggs were laid but only two hatched after five days. So if you have any advice on hatching brine shrimp eggs I'm all ears!

Luck
05-05-2009, 12:20 PM
80 degree water will hatch them, the colder the water the longer they take to hatch. Air and salt also, like the directions state...

Koijazz
05-05-2009, 06:21 PM
How do you keep the water at 80 degrees? I just weighed down the bottle of brine shrimp eggs in the pool to keep it at the same temp as the pool water which was always in the 70s last time.
When can I remove the spawning material? They're made of boiled plastic bags torn into strips and it looks kinda trashy with torn plastic bags floating around.

Luck
05-06-2009, 12:39 AM
I would get it out of there, might be unfertilized eggs that are decaying and adding ammonia to the water.

Koijazz
05-07-2009, 01:04 PM
I have updated my website so it has what's happened so far with years koi breeding. Here's the address: www.koijazz.webs.com

ladyfish
05-07-2009, 06:46 PM
koijaz..your koi spawned..not bred... :D:

When the koi spawn, do you have to get the eggs out of the pond? Will they hatch if you don't? If you don't put that medicine mentioned on the eggs will they all get fungus and die? I am all ears as my 2 males started actively pursuing my female yesterday. And I would like to be prepared. Thanks ahead of time!:yes:

I don't know if this is the right place to put a question. I've never done this before. So if I am in the wrong, please forgive me; I'm new.

Koijazz
05-08-2009, 10:53 AM
If you have plants are other spawning media in the pond, the koi will lay a lot of eggs on those and you can pull them out when they're done breeding if you want to save any eggs. If you want fry and you leave the eggs in the pond, the fish will eat most of them. I move my male(s) and female to a separate pool where they can breed and the fry can be raised. All my eggs got fungus since I didn't put any source of malachite green in, but my female laid eggs again, I added the malachite green, and presto! you have fry! Let us know if you have anymore questions!

koicarer
05-09-2009, 06:01 AM
Where can I purchase the malachite green? Thank you,

Koijazz
05-09-2009, 11:56 AM
I can never find a bottle of pure malachite green, so I use Ich medication that has malachite green in it instead of pure malachite green at a pet store. Then again, I live in a small town so they might just not have a large selection at our store. If you look on line you can probably find a bottle of malachite green.

Koijazz
05-10-2009, 10:59 PM
I checked the water with test strips and the nitrite is at caution, I think it said 0.5. Anyway, I don't want it to get any worse. Any ideas on how to do a water change? The pool is on a cement slab that's only a couple inches off ground level so I can't get the siphon to work since it depends on gravity. Also, there's brown algae gunk on the bottom which I suspect is causing the nitrite problem. So I scraped it off the bottom and swirled the water around hoping the filter will pick some of it up. At the moment, I am getting a tiny bucket, dipping it in the water, check to see if any fry are in it, release any fry, and dump the dirty water into buckets. I so far only have time to fill two two gallon buckets. Any tips would be great. Also, I think my micro worms are crawling up the sides so they are now available to the fry.

Koijazz
05-11-2009, 08:10 PM
I measured the fry and they are now 1/2 an inch long! I think they grow 1/16 of an inch a day.

Koijazz
05-16-2009, 06:03 PM
I have lots of micro worms. The oatmeal looks shimmery because the worms are clear and constantly moving. The fry are a tad bigger. Hopefully with live food they'll grow even faster.

Midorigoi
05-17-2009, 02:06 PM
How do you keep the water at 80 degrees? I just weighed down the bottle of brine shrimp eggs in the pool to keep it at the same temp as the pool water which was always in the 70s last time.
When can I remove the spawning material? They're made of boiled plastic bags torn into strips and it looks kinda trashy with torn plastic bags floating around.

When I needed a lot of brine shrimp for my goldie babies, I took a spare 10g tank, put an aquarium heater and two airstones in it, set the heater to 80F and POOF about a day later theres millions of brine shrimp babies in there :eek1::eek1: It was like an orange swarm!

Koijazz
05-17-2009, 10:49 PM
I thought brine shrimp eggs had to be hatched in a cone shape container.

Midorigoi
05-18-2009, 06:25 AM

I never heard that before :confused: I think as long as you have enough aeration and current so the eggs stay suspended in water you're good. I've hatched them successfully in all kinds of containers. :yes::yes:

Koijazz
05-22-2009, 10:57 PM
Today I caught three tobies! One's huge! The second isn't as big but I found him eating a sibling and the third is the same size as the second and I didn't want to take any chances. They're living in a tiny aquarium, but I can't get any good pics to share. They're a drab gray color, very ugly. I suspect there's another huge one in there, but it took me an hour to catch the three, and my back was killing me. I hope to spend a lot more time patrolling the pool to catch any more tobies.
Mean while, the normal fry are enjoying their clouds of micro worms they get each day. Some are still tiny other are bigger. Hopefully no more cannibalism. I've found a couple dead fry with half their bodies missing from being eaten.

Luck
05-22-2009, 11:15 PM
I used a 2 liter bottle inverted, with an airstone and salt

Koijazz
05-25-2009, 10:51 PM
I caught two more Tobies today. Currently, my good fry are still 1/2 an inch and seem to have stopped growing. They're being fed micro worms and algae. I was wondering what you feed your fry and how big they normally are at three weeks.

Koijazz
05-29-2009, 06:01 PM
I was gone a couple days and when I came back, I found that my fry have grown a lot! :yahoo: Now they all range from 3/4-1 inch long. Thanks to some snails that were stowaways on my string algae, the bottom of the pool is clean enough for me to take pictures. Sorry the picture isn't any better, but they wouldn't stay still long enough.

expat
05-30-2009, 10:03 AM
I caught two more Tobies today. Currently, my good fry are still 1/2 an inch and seem to have stopped growing. They're being fed micro worms and algae. I was wondering what you feed your fry and how big they normally are at three weeks.

I have a couple of hundred fry at the moment that seem to be doing ok and like yours are a wide range of sizes but I have had no tobies, some are bigger than others but not so big as to be able to threaten the smaller ones. I'm puzzled

Koijazz
06-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Caught another Tobie yesterday but still have two more to catch. That makes 9 tobies! Is it normal for there to be so many tobies from such a small batch of eggs? Anyway, the tobies are learning how to be vegetarians and are only fed algae and fish flakes while the good fry get all the micro worms.

Koijazz
06-03-2009, 10:27 PM
I caught more tobies today and purchased another air pump so I can hatch some brine shrimp eggs inside. Fingers crossed the eggs will hatch tomorrow!

Super Kindai
06-04-2009, 10:54 PM
It seems growth speed of fry is determinded by a balance of Food Amount, water temps, and water quality.

the more food, the more harder to maintain water quality. if you could take care of it somehow, then less chance to have tobies.

Koijazz
06-08-2009, 04:33 PM
I added three more Tobie suspects to the tank to make an even dozen! It now takes a while to spot fry since a lot of them are dark and hide in the algae.

mkiv4ever
06-19-2009, 03:47 AM
Not to hijack the thread but how often do you feed the fry on a daily basis from day one.

Koijazz
06-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Sorry I didn't reply right away, the internet wasn't working. The fry are fed three times a day. The tobies have been moved to a 20 gallon Rubbermaid tub outside. I got rid of the algae and can find the fry easier, including a monstrous tobie who's actually kinda pretty. It's big enough to go in the aquarium so it is. I'm wondering if maybe it's the only fry that's grown at the right pace being 1 1/2 inches and almost two months old. The others are barely one inch. Here's some pics of the tobie. As you can see she (I hope) really likes the Plattys. I'm hoping the yellow will spread through out her body and stay yellow. Any ideas what she might turn out to be?

Tommygug
06-24-2009, 09:57 PM
I read your thread and have been going through similar problems raising koi fry of my own. Everyone seems to use brine shrimp for the fry not Daphne. I use daphnia and have so much at times I freeze it for later use. Daphnia seem easy to raise and has no cost compares to brine shrimp. I wonder which is better for the koi and why more people don't use it?

Koijazz
07-02-2009, 01:36 PM
I got some more pictures of the fry. In the last picture, you can see a black blotch coming in right behind its head.:yahoo:

In answer to Tommygug, I think the Baby Brine Shrimp are more nutritious because they still have their own yolk sack full of protein which the fry need.

geraldlim
07-04-2009, 02:42 AM
It seems growth speed of fry is determinded by a balance of Food Amount, water temps, and water quality.

the more food, the more harder to maintain water quality. if you could take care of it somehow, then less chance to have tobies.

If that is the case, then that would mean that tobies are not necessarily fish with no potential since potential tobies would develop normally with enough food available. The genetic potential of a fish is the same even if environmental factors alter the way they develop, ie turn into toby or not. Should tobies then be kept separately to see how they develop?

Koijazz
07-04-2009, 12:09 PM
If that is the case, then that would mean that tobies are not necessarily fish with no potential since potential tobies would develop normally with enough food available. The genetic potential of a fish is the same even if environmental factors alter the way they develop, ie turn into toby or not. Should tobies then be kept separately to see how they develop?
I'm keeping my tobies, especially the one in the aquarium because it's so pretty. It's actually prettier than a lot of my fry because a lot of them are gray.

Do gray koi ever change/gain color? If not, I have a lot of fry I don't want to keep. :no:

Super Kindai
07-04-2009, 01:38 PM
If a toby, say 1.5", has a reasonable pattern and quality as a variety, then it may be worth to give it a second chance but in most cases, say 99%+, it does not have these potentially good factors.

As an expertise, there are a Fake toby and a Real toby..............:D:
Before 1st cull, fake tobies would be appeared among an early stage of fry' life by feeding on each other because of a food shortage.
After 1st or 2nd cull, real tobies would be appeared among keepers by NOT feeding on each other but because of Jumbo genetic.
Therefore, Jumbo-minded professional breeders take good care of these "Real Tobies" as Oyagoi candidates in future. .....interesting, isn't it?

Super Kindai
07-04-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm keeping my tobies, especially the one in the aquarium because it's so pretty. It's actually prettier than a lot of my fry because a lot of them are gray.

Do gray koi ever change/gain color? If not, I have a lot of fry I don't want to keep. :no:

According to your parental set of the breeding, gray ones are most likely magoi or perhaps soragoi....(IMO)

Koijazz
07-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Any ideas what the yellow ones might turn out to be? Does yellow fade out or get darker?

Midorigoi
07-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Yellow is either kohaku, ogon, or benigoi I believe. :yes: Yellow fry change depending on which variety they are.

Koijazz
07-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Is there still any chance of the gray fry becoming Ochibas like their dad or would the brown/red spots already have appeared?

Koijazz
07-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Here are some new pictures of my fry.The first pic is my tobie who's grown at least 1/4". The rest are the regular fry. The gray ones have turned black except for a few who have a green sheen. My largest normal fry are about 1 1/4 " and the tobie is close to 2". They are already in training for hand feeding and currently like to nibble on your fingers.
The last pic has the ones I like. Number 1 is more of a gold than a yellow, 2 has the black blotch on its head, and 3 has an interesting pink pearly body with the yellow head. I'm hoping so far to keep those three and my tobie who's actually pretty.

I'm currently feeding them fish flake food but am thinking about starting to feed them koi food. At the pet store I've seen koi food in flakes and am wondering if it's any different than regular flake food.

Let me know what you think about the "chosen" ones.

MAKENATILE
07-20-2009, 09:22 PM
try clean the fuzzy off any eggs that don't look milky inside(roll egg softly between fingers)- sometimes bad eggs get stuck to good eggs- and the fuzzy prevents them from hatching- I don't know if this is true for Koi eggs- But its true with cory cat fish eggs which always have issues with molding. I reduce the molding problem by using Melifix in the egg water, strong air bubbles that create circulation and very fresh water- changing as much of it as I can daily till they hatch- on the 3rd day after being laid. Malachite Green never worked for me- killed the fry when they hatched.(I breed them for the pet stores here)

Also, with Corey, I've had many a batch that ALL molded. At the end of the 4th day, before I toss out the moldy mess, I break up the clumping with an aggressive stirring and look in to see a bunch of fry. Can't hurt to try before calling it a total loss on the fuzzy Koi eggs. Scoop the fuzzy eggs out with a net and put in a 5 gal bucket of clean water and give it shot- either it will free them or it wont right? Stir aggressively enough for 5 seconds to separate the eggs from each other. figure your going to throw them away anyway if nothing happens- so don't hold back. Wait 10 minutes and look for fry.
I've never had damaged fry from doing this-but they are Catfish- not Koi. The Cory fry are microscopic. As small as this: ,

Cindy_AL
07-21-2009, 09:37 AM
I am feeding my fry a mixture of bloodworms & Hikari growth & blackwater koi pellets. I grind it all to a semi fine texture. They seem to be doing really well with it at the moment.

Koijazz
07-22-2009, 05:54 PM
I was going to try and net all my fry to get better pics, figure out their size, and see how many I actually have but could only catch a dozen! Any tips on catching those speedy little buggers?

Cindy Al, are the bloodworms alive or freeze dried?

Cindy_AL
07-22-2009, 07:30 PM
I was going to try and net all my fry to get better pics, figure out their size, and see how many I actually have but could only catch a dozen! Any tips on catching those speedy little buggers?

Cindy Al, are the bloodworms alive or freeze dried?

Im using the freeze dried blood worms. I have tried to give them the blood worms alone but they dont really like it so I grind it up with the food pellets. I also give them flakes but not everyday.

Koijazz
07-24-2009, 12:33 PM
Anyone got any tips on catching the fry? The pool they're in is 4X3X1. (As in feet)

Koijazz
07-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Some of my yellow fry that had big black spots on their heads are getting another spot behind it. I wonder if they'll get even more spots? Will the yellow remain yellow?

Cindy_AL
07-29-2009, 05:14 PM
I have quite a few that are gold & black. Mine were all yellow when they were that size & then started developing black spots. Now they are mostly black with gold head. I dont have a clue what that would make them. I was just hoping for a couple kohaku since they started out yellow. I know you have kept track of my fry progress too so you probably remember how the majority of mine were yellow to begin with. You just never know, I guess.

Koijazz
08-04-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm really excited because the pinkish one I like that has more orange spots coming in and the pink has turned white! If the orange turns red, it's a Kohaku right?

EricT
08-04-2009, 08:30 PM
correct.

can't wait for pictures.

-eric

Koijazz
08-05-2009, 10:33 AM
I got the hint. I'll go take some now.

Koijazz
08-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Here they are. Is the spot on its nose okay? #1 you can't really see from this angle but if you look on its other side, it's there.

Koijazz
08-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Upon very, very, VERY close inspection, I have discovered that all my fry with black blotches on their heads are getting orange markings and the yellow background is turning whitish. Does this make them future Sanke, Showa, or mutts? It's nice to know they're getting more color.

EricT
08-06-2009, 05:24 PM
:clap: they are coming along nicely.

-eric

Koijazz
08-06-2009, 05:49 PM
:clap: they are coming along nicely.

-eric

I have to admit they are except their growth. They're almost three months old and only 1 1/4" at the most.:no:

Koijazz
08-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Okay, here's the promised pics of the day. As you can see, it's during their morning feeding time. :yes:

EricT
08-07-2009, 11:18 AM
:yahoo:they look great.

-eric

Cindy_AL
08-07-2009, 09:16 PM
You seem to be real worried about the slow growth. Mine are almost 4 months old and avg around 2.5". But I have a few that are close to 4" and a few that are about 1". I have noticed that the ones that I have released into the pond are growing at a much faster rate. I have about 8 fry that are still being kept in the mesh baskets in the pond because they are smaller.....1- 1.5" in size. They seem perfectly healthy. I wouldnt worry too much as long as you know that you have a big enough area & they are all eating well. How often do you feed them? I feed mine at least 4 times a day.

EricT
08-07-2009, 10:30 PM
I just found 3 large 4" fry swimming in the main pond. i have a mastuba and 2 kohaku, and a benigoi.

i don't have pictures yet, but i will try to get some tomorrow night.

-eric

Koijazz
08-10-2009, 10:41 AM
One of my main concerns and getting them big enough so that they can winter in the pond. At the rate they're growing, they might be 2-3 inches by october.

I have noticed that my future Kohaku is starting to get orange on its fins. Will that ruin the quality? All the pics I've seen have pure white fins.

African_Fever
08-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Not to sound judgemental or anything, but what's with the concern over what type of fry you get and their quality? Most people their first time are just happy that their fish bred, and that they were able to raise the fry. You yourself said that the female was a mutt, so the chances of getting quality fry is slim to none (though not completely unheard of).

Your large tobie looks great, and is sure to make a great addition to your pond. Congrats on getting this far with your fry!

Koijazz
08-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Not to sound judgemental or anything, but what's with the concern over what type of fry you get and their quality? Most people their first time are just happy that their fish bred, and that they were able to raise the fry. You yourself said that the female was a mutt, so the chances of getting quality fry is slim to none (though not completely unheard of).

Your large tobie looks great, and is sure to make a great addition to your pond. Congrats on getting this far with your fry!

I'm very happy over the fact that my koi have bred. Also, this is my second time breeding my koi, the first time, I just wasn't a Koiphen member yet. I know very little about koi breeds, how they change color, and so on and would like to learn all I can. Next year when I breed them again, I might be able to actually cull my fry being able to predict what color fry will turn into what. It's also very exciting to know that an actual koi breed can come from a mutt. Basically, I'm trying to learn I can through this koi breeding experience.

EricT
08-11-2009, 03:40 PM
sorry koijazz, was about to read your thread when koiphen went down.

anyways- the red on the fins will make its quality go down. although i am not sure that you will have any good quality fry from these parents. it all depends on who these parents parents where. If you got a cull from a high quality, there is a chance that you could get a good/high quality koi from them. also, one of the things to look for while culling is if they have any 'hi' (red) on their head. all kohaku should have hi there.
(i have been doing some research because next year i am breeding matsunosuke koi, so i expect some good if not great quality koi from them.

-eric

Koijazz
08-12-2009, 12:00 AM
It's not red yet, but the first marking it got was a big orange splat like a cap, thus its name is Cappie. A little speck is showing on its nose, some by its tail, and barely visible in the middle of its back. Well, at least I know I will now have two actually koi breeds: kohaku and ochiba (the dad). Good luck in advance on next years breeding EricT.

EricT
08-12-2009, 06:01 PM
just call me Eric:cool3: I will start my own thread next year, but it might be two years, depends on how large they get in the next 3 months in the mud.

would like to see ochiba fry if they get big enough.

-eric

Koijazz
08-13-2009, 08:54 PM
I'll try to get some pictures.

EricT
08-13-2009, 09:25 PM
sounds great. :pullup:

Koijazz
08-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Sorry it took so long. I was trying to get a pic of the fry that was lightening up but when ever I bring out the camera he disappears. :grrr: I'm beginning to wonder if he'll be an Ochiba since it's almost gray/blue and has some darkish spots.

Quick question. In the first pic two of the fry have their gills sticking out kinda. Is it just because they're breathing or are they actually like that. I know I should be the one answering that since I see them everyday all the time, but it's hard to see when they're so tiny. Any thoughts?

EricT
08-14-2009, 05:45 PM
its kinda hard to see your pictures. is there any chance that you have a blue dish bowl or something you could use?

yes, my fry gills stick out all the time, until they are about 1 1/2" in length, then they start to blend in with the body more.

-eric

Koijazz
08-14-2009, 06:54 PM
I have a blue tub BUT FIRST I have to CATCH them! So if you have any tips, please let me know!

EricT
08-14-2009, 07:04 PM
yeah, get a butterfly net. collect the extra length and put a rubber band around the handle to hold the extra length. make the depth at least 2-3" or you could just use a aquarium net.

#1 key to catching fry- PATIENCE!!!! herd them into a corner, and then just scoop them up really fast.

-eric

Koijazz
08-14-2009, 09:49 PM
I'll try, but I might not reply 'till next week! LOL

EricT
08-14-2009, 11:38 PM
lol, by patience i didn't mean a whole week! more like a couple of hours.

lol!

-eric

Cindy_AL
08-15-2009, 03:41 PM
This made me LOL because I have spent the last couple of hours trying to catch some goldfish to use as guinea pigs in one of our new ponds. Not having any luck. Funny that when I have to get into the pond, they wont leave me alone, nibbling on my legs or when I hand feed the koi, I have to push the goldfish out of the way. (the food I hand-feed is too large for the goldies)

Koijazz
08-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Well, I caught some, but none of them are the nice big ones. No laughing at my "brilliant" picture taking skills. Sorry they aren't any better, but you know fry, always on the move.

Koijazz
08-24-2009, 10:37 AM
Just for an update, the fry are growing now that they are being fed the Blackwater Max Growth food. The tiny little guys are getting a little longer and fattening up. If you look long enough at the bigger fry you can start to see itty bitty barbels that are so cute!

EricT
08-24-2009, 05:48 PM
:protest::protest:

WE NEED PICS!!!

please :rolleyes:

Koijazz
08-24-2009, 09:40 PM
They won't be in a blue bucket though.

vipldy
08-24-2009, 09:43 PM
Let them be! you can always bowl them later:yes: Less stress and all..:) They look good :clap:

Koijazz
08-24-2009, 10:40 PM
Speaking of pics, where are your pics Eric that you promised a while back? :club: I ain't posting pics until you do.

EricT
08-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Speaking of pics, where are your pics Eric that you promised a while back? :club: I ain't posting pics until you do.

LOL!! i thought i posted a link to a page on my website:thinking:

i will go back and find it.

so now, your turn to post pics:rolleyes:

EricT
08-25-2009, 04:28 PM
http://www.kentuckykoi.com/koi-fry.html :rolleyes:

Koijazz
08-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Here ya go. I finally got pictures of the blue/gray one.:clap::yahoo::cheer:

Koijazz
08-25-2009, 05:01 PM
by the way, you can barely see the barbels on the kohaku in the first pic.

EricT
08-25-2009, 09:19 PM
what?? i made a whole page, and nothing to e said about my 12 fry :(

lol. just kidding :rolleyes:

EricT
08-25-2009, 09:43 PM
BTW-nice koi koijazz.

Koijazz
08-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Thanks! Yours are very :cool: too.

EricT
08-25-2009, 10:45 PM
lol. i need to do an update. maybe thursday. tomorrow will be too busy moving some storage stuff out of the way, to make room for my new 'koi room'

-eric

EricT
08-25-2009, 10:49 PM
the ones circled are ones i think have a posibility to being ochiba.

EricT
08-25-2009, 10:52 PM
the blue are ones i think are tancho

the red i think are kohaku

and the yellow could be a sanke/showa:confused:?

now, don't count on these, just trying to learn to pick out the different patterns.

-eric

Koijazz
08-26-2009, 10:05 AM
The top blue one has more orange spots coming in. If you look closely, you can see a little by the tail and in person on the back. It was getting some orange at its lips, but you can't see it now, so I'm still thinking it will be Kohaku. The ones I so far want to keep is the yellow circled one and the top blue one. I also want to keep the tobie that's in the aquarium right now, cause it's actually kinda pretty/interesting. I'll try getting a picture.

tdmeckle
08-26-2009, 10:39 AM
You should keep a couple of the ochiba looking ones, I'd be interested in seeing how they turned out. Pretty Cool.

Koijazz
08-26-2009, 12:59 PM
I plan to keep them all until they're a bit bigger and have more color, pick my favorites, and sell the rest. (hopefully)

EricT
08-30-2009, 10:28 AM
update? i will try and get mine updated by tonight :D:

Cindy_AL
08-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Yeah, keep the updates coming. I really enjoy seeing the changes as they grow. Im still anxious to know what color mine will be so I use everyone elses photos as a guide.

Koijazz
08-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Well, the food seems to be working. If they're not growing longer, the tiny one are filling out and don't look like new borns any more. I'll try to get some pics before it gets too hot. I'll be back.

Koijazz
08-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Okay, here are the pics. The first one I couldn't resist. She looks so funny! Note that she used to be as big as the platties when she was first put in the aquarium, and they've grown too. I think she was 3 1/2 inches last time I measured her.

EricT
08-30-2009, 05:24 PM
the colors look real nice, and they look real big too.

-eric

P.S.- i will get some later tonight

Koijazz
08-30-2009, 05:48 PM
I guess they're big, if you like calling fish under 3 inches big.

Koijazz
08-30-2009, 05:49 PM
By the way, I'm looking forward to your pics Eric.

EricT
08-30-2009, 06:13 PM
FINE!!! i'll go out now and take some :harhar:

EricT
08-30-2009, 06:40 PM
http://www.kentuckykoi.com/koi-fry.html :rolleyes:

it's updated!!!!

EricT
08-30-2009, 06:41 PM
it's updated!!!!

Click to enlarge :harhar:

Koijazz
08-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Very cute. Some remind me of mine. I like the white one that's almost covered in black/gray speckles. How many do you have? I've got about 50. I'm kinda glad that things got screwed up in the beginning and only the "left over" eggs hatched for me. I don't think thousands and thousands of fry would of fit in my pool.

EricT
08-30-2009, 07:05 PM
i've got about 15 fry. i did have like 70, but my tobies just got bigger :rolleyes:

i don't understand why it takes 73 min. to upload a 53 sec. video on youtube.

i will post a link on here when it is finished :D:

EricT
08-30-2009, 07:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOq8j4ZPuJ0 :D:

Koijazz
08-30-2009, 07:29 PM
Cool! Is that 2 inch one a Tobie? It seems a lot bigger than the others. (Each line's an inch right?)

Koijazz
08-30-2009, 07:31 PM
:cool: Is that 2 inch one a tobie? It looks huge compared to the others. (Each line's an inch right?)

EricT
08-30-2009, 08:01 PM
:cool: Is that 2 inch one a tobie? It looks huge compared to the others. (Each line's an inch right?)

yes, each space is an inch.

actually, i caught the 2" out of the main pond, who i guess hid in the WH until 1", then i put him in there..

i have (2) 4" in the pond that are just too fast for me to catch.

Koijazz
08-30-2009, 09:44 PM
You caught him in the pond! It took me 2 hours to catch the tobie to put in the aquarium, and the pool was only 3X4X1! How on earth did you catch him?!

By the way, I want your (or anyone's) advice. We have 2 bullfrogs in the pond, but they aren't full grown yet and I'm worried about them eating my fry when they go in. How big should the fry be before they go in the pond? I'm thinking the sooner the better because they'll grow faster in a larger environment.

EricT
08-30-2009, 10:20 PM
You caught him in the pond! It took me 2 hours to catch the tobie to put in the aquarium, and the pool was only 3X4X1! How on earth did you catch him?!

By the way, I want your (or anyone's) advice. We have 2 bullfrogs in the pond, but they aren't full grown yet and I'm worried about them eating my fry when they go in. How big should the fry be before they go in the pond? I'm thinking the sooner the better because they'll grow faster in a larger environment.

yes, they will grow faster in a larger environment, but i wouldn't even put them in until 2"+

if you want them to grow faster do a flow through of about 5-10 gallons a day. that doesn't seem like much, but with that ammonia rich water leaves, and that new water comes in, it creates a such more better habitat.

i would just catch the frogs and take them to a near by lake anyways. i don't like frogs in my pond:no:

thai nguyen
08-31-2009, 03:12 AM
hehe if you have an all black one and willing to let it go...let me know =D

Koijazz
08-31-2009, 10:40 AM
hehe if you have an all black one and willing to let it go...let me know =D
They aren't really black, just darkish gray.

Koijazz
08-31-2009, 08:45 PM
I was wondering if it would really be necessary to remove the frogs. We have hundreds of minnows, maybe thousands and the numbers haven't declined as far as I know. Would it be too easy for predators to get a hold of the fry if they were in a floating basket thingy and how big should it be?

Cindy_AL
08-31-2009, 09:54 PM
We have had an ongoing battle with the frogs. Just when we think we have gotten rid of them all, more show up. I cant say for sure but I do believe some of our fry were eaten by the larger frogs. Its the only possible predator we have seen near the pond. It wasnt a large number of fry lost though. Just a few I was seeing on a regular basis & then one day I couldnt find them.

EricT
08-31-2009, 10:04 PM
if you are not too worried, i'd just dump them in, and see how everything goes, but you might want to have some spaces for them to hide in.

Koijazz
08-31-2009, 11:15 PM
I dug up an old basket thing we had made to hold plants a while back and fixed it up. It's about a 2 foot square but only a few inches deep. I plan to put a fry or two in tomorrow to see how it works. If all goes well, I'll make a better one that's deeper. If I can I'll take pics with the fry in it. I might make something to put on the top so frogs won't get them at night.

Koijazz
08-31-2009, 11:18 PM
By the way, I might put the tobie in the pond soon and put another candidate or two in the aquarium. As for hiding places in the pond, there's a flap of liner at the bottom and two cattail pots to hide in between. It'll probably hide so well I'll freak out and think that it's gone!

EricT
09-01-2009, 08:10 AM
lol. once they get use to it, they will join the other herd.

good luck
-eric

Koijazz
09-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Okay, here are the pics!

Koijazz
09-01-2009, 10:45 PM
HELP!!!!!!!! I caught two of my fry (one is the Ochiba hopeful) and put them in the aquarium so I could see their patterns develop better. Anyway, the Ochiba hopeful apparently has 1/2 its tail missing! I don't know if it happened after he was put in the aquarium or not. Just to warn you, the picture makes it look like he has no tail, but he does have the upper half. Will it grow back? What should I do?

tdmeckle
09-02-2009, 11:06 AM
It should grow back, but I'd imagine you should figure out what was taking nibbles or if the tail just was stuck/rubbed in a net. At that size it doesn't take much. Keep an eye on it, what happened should become quickly clear if its still a danger in the tank

Koijazz
09-02-2009, 02:31 PM
It didn't get snagged on a net because I caught him with my hand when has swam across it. The others in the tank are an angelfish, giant danio, two koi fry, two platties, and a loach. Would they pick on him? I noticed within 10 minutes of him being in the tank.

tdmeckle
09-02-2009, 03:34 PM
It's hard to say, seems like you would have noticed when you put him in but either way if it doesn't worsen, it'll heal and you can assume something got after him in the pond.

EricT
09-02-2009, 05:41 PM
i don't know much about your aquarium fish, but give the koi time, and soon he will be the bully.

Yes, i would say the tail will grow back if its not too terribly cut, if it is, then i wouldn't bet on it healing back at all, and even if it does, i doubt it will look pretty.

Good Luck!

-eric

Koijazz
09-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Yes, i would say the tail will grow back if its not too terribly cut, if it is, then i wouldn't bet on it healing back at all, and even if it does, i doubt it will look pretty.

Good Luck!

-eric

LOL Are you trying to say 1/2 a missing tail isn't too terrible?:rolleyes:

EricT
09-02-2009, 07:15 PM
LOL Are you trying to say 1/2 a missing tail isn't too terrible?:rolleyes:

no, id say 1/2 a tail missing IS terrible..
its kinda hard to tell from that picture.
i wouldn't bet on it being pretty IF it did grow back...

notice how i said IF
i doubt it will grow back though...

Koijazz
09-02-2009, 07:24 PM
no, id say 1/2 a tail missing IS terrible..
its kinda hard to tell from that picture.
i wouldn't bet on it being pretty IF it did grow back...

notice how i said IF
i doubt it will grow back though...

That's more like it! I did warn you the picture makes it look worse. I'll try drawing out what tail he DOES have!

Koijazz
09-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Here ya go! I think I gave it a little too much tail. Oh well, you get the picture.

EricT
09-02-2009, 09:10 PM
Here ya go! I think I gave it a little too much tail. Oh well, you get the picture.

oh, well this is a whole lot more than i thought.

LOL

well, all i can say is hope it gets better.

-eric

Koijazz
09-02-2009, 11:18 PM
well, all i can say is hope it gets better.

-eric

Me too!:Drogar-Cry(LBG)::Cry:

Koijazz
09-03-2009, 08:46 PM
I noticed that my tancho/kohaku's colors aren't as clear. They seem kinda "cloudy". The orange isn't as vivid. Is this normal?

EricT
09-03-2009, 10:04 PM
pics?

it might be he is growing to fast for his pattern to keep up, or just the opposite.

pics will tell

-eric

Koijazz
09-03-2009, 11:15 PM
I'll have to take the pics in the morning, it's dark out and they normally "turn in" around 7, 7:30.

BAVOTOI
09-04-2009, 05:22 PM

you can name it's NEMO:punk1::punk1:

Koijazz
09-04-2009, 07:22 PM
First of all, I'd like to say that my Ochiba hopeful's tail is doing LOTS better! :yahoo::clap:Okay, with that said, here are the pics!

Koijazz
09-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Whoops, sorry about the huge picture in the middle.

Koijazz
09-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Any thoughts on the tancho/kohaku's fading colors?

EricT
09-05-2009, 01:28 PM
nope :no:

Koijazz
09-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Just checked my Ochiba hopeful and his tail is almost completely healed! It just needs to round off a little!

Super Kindai
09-06-2009, 11:45 PM
a few growout pics of Tancho kohaku for your future reference.

Koijazz
09-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Very pretty!:clap: Right now, my kohaku hopeful looks like the ones in the second pic. How do you know if they'll remain tancho or turn into kohaku? Mine has spots on his back and tail that keep coming and going.

Super Kindai
09-07-2009, 12:41 AM
Very pretty!:clap: Right now, my kohaku hopeful looks like the ones in the second pic. How do you know if they'll remain tancho or turn into kohaku? Mine has spots on his back and tail that keep coming and going.

Here is a picture of keepers from 1st culling, average about 1 inch+ size.
you can see a few candidates of tancho in the yellow circles. basically no trace (or very weak) of red color on body but it shoud have soild red on head.

Koijazz
09-07-2009, 07:35 PM
basically no trace (or very weak) of red color on body but it shoud have soild red on head.

So does that mean mine will be a tancho since the red doesn't cover the entire head?

Super Kindai
09-08-2009, 07:19 PM
So does that mean mine will be a tancho since the red doesn't cover the entire head?
I am sorry for my poor expression but that one ( your whitish fish) won't be a Tancho because Hi plate on the head is a way too weak to hold in the future.

Koijazz
09-08-2009, 08:32 PM
I am sorry for my poor expression but that one ( your whitish fish) won't be a Tancho because Hi plate on the head is a way too weak to hold in the future.

Do you think it will vanish altogether?

Super Kindai
09-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Do you think it will vanish altogether?

I looked at your whitish koi on #159 again. unfortunately almost all the Hi plate on the head as Tancho mark has gone. once it's gone, it won't come back in most cases.

Here is a herd of Tancho.....:eek1:

Koijazz
09-09-2009, 10:23 AM
:jaw: WOW! I love the vivid red! So will my whitish one just end up being solid white?

Tommygug
09-09-2009, 12:23 PM
a few growout pics of Tancho kohaku for your future reference.

Those are some nice looking Kohaku fry.....The tancho's are not to bad either...

EricT
09-09-2009, 05:59 PM
:jaw: WOW! I love the vivid red! So will my whitish one just end up being solid white?

it depends.

some tancho spots will fade, others will gain.

it depends on your water hardness.

i cannot remember correctly, but hard water takes or adds red, and soft wate will take or add red.

they don't do both, but i can't remember which one did what.

your tancho looks fine, but i cannot say whether or not it will keep its spot.

time will tell :yes:

Koijazz
09-09-2009, 10:55 PM
it depends.

it depends on your water hardness.

i cannot remember correctly, but hard water takes or adds red, and soft wate will take or add red.

they don't do both, but i can't remember which one did what.

Shucks, I just used the rest of the test strips too so I can't test the water. I think it has always shown up ideal.

EricT
09-09-2009, 10:56 PM
buy more now!!

you always need a test kit or even two handy.

EricT
09-09-2009, 10:57 PM
hey, if you decide you need to get rid of any.....

:whistle::rolleyes:

-eric

Koijazz
09-10-2009, 10:15 AM
I'll have to think about it. They may not be worth shipping, they're pond mutts remember?:rolleyes: I plan to net them all in October or November to move them to the main pond for winter.

Koijazz
09-11-2009, 10:22 PM
I have good news about my Ochiba hopeful! The part torn of is a miniature of the part intact. It looks kinda like a swordtail fish, except the top is round, not pointy. I can't believe how quickly it's growing back. I would take a picture, but you see right through the tail!

EricT
09-13-2009, 12:30 AM
so.. hows things going?

-eric

floatinflowers
09-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Don't be surprised by the amount of fry that hatch even with fungus. I used the green stuff and still had fungus on most of the eggs. I had a huge hatch! I am happy to say that about 1000 fry hatched out this year even with fungus. Don't worrry, you will have plenty of babies to care for. Good luck!

Koijazz
09-14-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm trying to decide what to do with my fry over the winter. I'm thinking of putting them in the pond but afraid they won't make it. Any suggestions?

Tommygug
09-14-2009, 12:59 PM
I kept about 50 of my fry from last year over the winter, I kept 30 of them 2/5 inches long in a 600 gallon pond. I just lifted the pump about a foot off the bottom and did a few water changes over the winter. I put about 20 in my main pond. I believe most of them made it but they are extremely diffucult to remove. I will never do that again!!!
As for advice, if there are fish you want to keep, put them in your pond. If you are going to spawn again in the spring and need the room get rid of them now. Small ugly fish are "cute" because there small, people may take them. Big ugly fish are just ugly and no one wants them...!!! not even the herons!!!

Koijazz
09-14-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm planning to some how get rid of the dark ones and grow out the colorful ones. In the winter is when we have the most egret activity. Will they go after fish only a couple inches long? I might put the fry in a floating basket thing so they'll be easier to catch in the spring, but will it make it easier for frogs and such to get them too? It will be in the middle of the pond which the egrets can't get to because of fishing line.

EricT
09-14-2009, 05:29 PM
why don't you buy a 300 gallon stock tank, put all of them in there in your garage/basement, and make a DIY filter.

i put (2)-1" fry in my crowded tank as it is, and they are not a wooping 3" in just a little over a month :eek1:

Koijazz
09-14-2009, 06:23 PM
I don't have a basement and there's no room in the garage.

EricT
09-14-2009, 06:26 PM
darn your car!

lol

:rolleyes:

EricT
09-14-2009, 06:26 PM
what about the living room? it makes a great center piece :D:

Koijazz
09-14-2009, 06:29 PM
what about the living room? it makes a great center piece :D:

I don't think so! Besides, once the Christmas tree goes up, there's no room, and a stock tank ain't gonna replace a Christmas tree!

EricT
09-14-2009, 06:43 PM
I don't think so! Besides, once the Christmas tree goes up, there's no room, and a stock tank ain't gonna replace a Christmas tree!

i wouldn't be so sure about that. :D:

im' just kidding.

i guess if the pond is all you have, then go for it.

-eric

Koijazz
09-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Well, the good news is that my smallest fry are all about an inch and the biggest are 2 1/2-3 inches! :clap: Also the Ochiba hopeful's tail is as good as new! :yahoo: Do you think the fry will grow any in the pond in the winter time?

EricT
09-14-2009, 11:28 PM
deffenetaly(sp) (sorry, i'm a horrible speller w/o spell check :D: )

my koi's first winter-smallest went in at 4", and came out at about 6"

just make sure to fatten them up before winter.

i can't wait to see how big my two babies will be next spring, because they are about 3-4" right now.

-eric

Koijazz
09-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Is it OK to feed them over the winter? I know you're not suppose to feed koi in the winter and am wondering if it's the same for fry.

Koijazz
09-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Here ya go. The third pic is a new one that's been added to the favorite list. It's a chagoi right? The last pic is one of the smallest fry.

Koijazz
09-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Goodness, I thought I had made the pics smaller. Oh well.

EricT
09-15-2009, 06:27 PM
i really can't tell from the side view.

NO! don't feed them during the winter, just fatten them up before winter.

Koijazz
09-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Sorry, it won't stand still. It's that color all around if that's what you're wondering. In the first picture with the hand, it's swimming away with its head facing down if you can see it clearly.

EricT
09-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Sorry, it won't stand still. It's that color all around if that's what you're wondering. In the first picture with the hand, it's swimming away with its head facing down if you can see it clearly.

which fish are you referring to, there are about 30 of them :D:

-eric

Koijazz
09-15-2009, 07:48 PM
There are 38 fry to be precise in that picture.

EricT
09-15-2009, 08:21 PM
looks to be chagoi to me at this point.

-eruc ;)

Koijazz
09-15-2009, 08:42 PM
I have a fry that was yellow with a huge black blotch on its head. The yellow is turning into white and it's getting some orange blotches on its back and a lot by its tail. If the orange turns into red, does this make it a Sanke? It's kinda like the fry in the first picture only it has more orange blotches.

Koijazz
09-16-2009, 11:32 PM
I'm going to try and take a picture of the Sanke maybe tomorrow. Any thoughts from the description above?

Super Kindai
09-16-2009, 11:51 PM
The male parent was Ochiba, right? the pic of the female parent on #1 post look like Aka Matsuba type koi. Both parents koi are a sort of primitive type as Nishikigoi. so, I guess it is difficult to get a Sanke from that combination of the parental koi...maybe.

:cheer:

Koijazz
09-17-2009, 10:45 PM
The male parent was Ochiba, right? the pic of the female parent on #1 post look like Aka Matsuba type koi. Both parents koi are a sort of primitive type as Nishikigoi. so, I guess it is difficult to get a Sanke from that combination of the parental koi...maybe.

:cheer:

Yes the father was an ochiba and the female 100% nothing basically. Sorry, couldn't get a pic today. Those fry are so hard to get a picture of that's not blurry!

EricT
09-17-2009, 10:47 PM
hey koijazz... guess what???

ITS THURSDAY!!!

night :D:

Koijazz
09-18-2009, 03:06 PM
Here are the pics of the maybe sanke. Is it okay he only really has the one black spot or does he need more?

EricT
09-19-2009, 01:26 AM
:clap:

i don't know, but he sure looks nice.

-eric

Koijazz
09-19-2009, 11:06 AM
So far he's keeper. I need something to brighten up the pond and he should do the trick. (as long as he doesn't decide to change like my kohaku did)

Super Kindai
09-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Here are the pics of the maybe sanke. Is it okay he only really has the one black spot or does he need more?

Believe it or not, this fry has a characteristic of Kujaku that has inherited from the female parent. the black spot and also black line on the shoulder will disappear soon or later ( in most cases...:rolleyes:).
Hikari = Sheen appears on pectoral fins, eyelids, the tip of mouth, etc at early stage of kujaku' fry.
if there is no enough sheen to covering the entire body later, the fry will be a Goshiki then....:D: Good luck.

Koijazz
09-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Believe it or not, this fry has a characteristic of Kujaku that has inherited from the female parent. the black spot and also black line on the shoulder will disappear soon or later ( in most cases...:rolleyes:).
Hikari = Sheen appears on pectoral fins, eyelids, the tip of mouth, etc at early stage of kujaku' fry.
if there is no enough sheen to covering the entire body later, the fry will be a Goshiki then....:D: Good luck.

:cool: I never would have thought that so cool a breed could come from my mutt!:eek1: I hope it will be Kujaku, 'cause I've always like the cool black parts on the scales. Thanks for the info!

Koijazz
09-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Will the fry in the first pic in post #193 be the same as the one in #205? He also has the dark spot and line down his back. His orange is barely coming in and has lots on his face but has very little in his fins.

Koijazz
09-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Yeah I've found two or three more Ochiba hopefuls.:yahoo: I have to find them again to check their tails because a lot of the darker fry have bent tails.:no:

Koijazz
09-22-2009, 08:44 PM
I looked at the other Ochiba hopefuls and I think their tails are all fine. I would take pictures but you can barely tell the difference in the shades. Maybe when they're a little older.

EricT
09-23-2009, 07:31 PM
CLICK HERE F0R AN UPDATE ON MY FRY!! (http://kentuckykoi.com/koi-fry.html) :D:

4 was all i could find.

i put them in a new tank.... thats larger and harder to get the suckers.

largest is 4" in the tank, about 5-6" in the pond

Koijazz
09-25-2009, 10:34 AM
I've got pictures!!! First, here's an update on the kujaku hopeful. :clap: He/she's getting more color by the dorsal fin.

Koijazz
09-25-2009, 10:36 AM
And here are the Ochiba hopefuls in the pool. The last picture in the bottom left corner is a fry that's navy blue. What will he/she turn into?

Koijazz
09-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Do you think the fry in post #215 will be more ochibas?

EricT
09-26-2009, 02:43 PM
yes, i do think they will be ochibas.

-Eric

Koijazz
09-26-2009, 03:22 PM
I think I may have more Kujaku hopefuls since I have more orange ones turning white with darker orange spots and some black on the head and down the back. I thought very few fry turn out to be like their parents. I guess I'm wrong.

Koijazz
09-30-2009, 10:56 AM
It's suddenly got really cold over here! The water temp. for my fry's at 56*F so I've put in my two heaters so that the water will be warm enough for me to feed them. They've really slowed down a lot!

Koijazz
10-03-2009, 06:10 PM
A lot of the black fry have white bellies. Does this mean they'll stay black? I'm trying to figure out if they'll always be black or if there will be a chance of them changing color.

Koijazz
10-05-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm going to move the fry really soon. Any advice on catching them? The pool is 3X4X1.

EricT
10-10-2009, 11:47 PM
I'm going to move the fry really soon. Any advice on catching them? The pool is 3X4X1.

net, and patience.

Koijazz
10-11-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm thinking of draining the pool so the water isn't any deeper than the size of the net. Any comments on this idea?

EricT
10-11-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm thinking of draining the pool so the water isn't any deeper than the size of the net. Any comments on this idea?

nope. sounds good.

Koijazz
10-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Well, the deed is done. About 25-30 fry were put into the pond, three more put in the aquarium, and about 20 fry are culls due to deformities or dull colors. Sadly Capie my use to be kohaku is amoung the culls since part of her pectoral fin is missing and only having half a gill cover. I'll try to post pics tomorrow.

Koijazz
10-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Here are the pictures! The first picture is of the pool drained. I ended up having to get almost all the water out to get the last 20 or so fry! The 2-6th pictures are of random fry. 7-11 are the fry going in the aquarium. The rest are of the fry going in the pond. I have been able to find fry in the pond, but lots have discovered the "forest of cattails" (only two pots) and hide in there.

EricT
10-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Bu Bye little fishies :D:

Koijazz
10-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Bu Bye little fishies :D:

I still see them a lot, at least the yellow ones anyway. Sometimes I think I see some gray ones but not sure if it's a minnow or not. The only way you can really tell is by how deep they are in the water. Minnows stay towards the top and fry are all over the place.

Koijazz
10-14-2009, 12:53 AM
The fry experienced rain for the first time today, and boy did they have a blast! They were all at the surface so the rain would hit them occasionally.

Koijazz
10-18-2009, 10:52 AM
I had covered the pump to keep the fry from going inside, but it would get clogged with the gunk at the bottom of the pond, so now it's uncovered. Fingers crossed none will swim inside the pump and kill themselves, although our minnows have been known to survive.

rushboy99
10-18-2009, 07:12 PM
I had covered the pump to keep the fry from going inside, but it would get clogged with the gunk at the bottom of the pond, so now it's uncovered. Fingers crossed none will swim inside the pump and kill themselves, although our minnows have been known to survive.

what type of pump ?

Koijazz
10-18-2009, 08:04 PM
It's the pump that takes the water up to the waterfall.

rushboy99
10-18-2009, 11:46 PM
just be caareful there is nothing worse than having to clean up tiny fishy bits out of a clogged pump

Koijazz
10-19-2009, 12:31 AM
just be careful there is nothing worse than having to clean up tiny fishy bits out of a clogged pump
LOL thanks for the warning!:D:

Koijazz
10-19-2009, 09:57 PM
I've noticed that my hopeful Kujaku has lost a lot of it's orangy red color! It's gotten very white. Any thoughts? Will the orangy red come back?

Koijazz
10-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Okay, here are some pictures of the fry in the pond!:yahoo::clap: Sorry, they aren't the greatest pics.:rolleyes:

EricT
10-23-2009, 12:43 AM
looks like you need a phoam phractionator :rolleyes:

EricT
10-23-2009, 12:43 AM
nice fry BTW

Koijazz
10-23-2009, 10:25 AM
looks like you need a phoam phractionator :rolleyes:

It's there only in the morning, and that's when I took the pictures.

Koijazz
10-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Thinking I'm gonna have to move Ancy, my tobie, into the pond. She (I think) is getting pretty big and keeps digging up the plants in the aquarium.:rolleyes:

Koijazz
10-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Thinking I'm gonna have to move Ancy, my tobie, into the pond. She (I think) is getting pretty big and keeps digging up the plants in the aquarium.:rolleyes:

Well, Ancy's in the pond. :clap::yes:

Koijazz
11-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Here are some pics!:clap: Can't find Ancy:no:

Koijazz
11-22-2009, 08:45 PM
I have pictures of the fry in the aquarium! As you can see, my Ochiba hopeful's tail is completely healed!:yahoo::cool3:
Their sizes range from 1-2 1/4".

EricT
11-29-2009, 04:36 PM
:clap:

i hope your doing daily water changes!

Koijazz
11-29-2009, 08:21 PM
They all have sparkling clean water!

EricT
11-29-2009, 10:28 PM
clean, water changed water?? :D::D:

Koijazz
11-30-2009, 12:14 AM
clean, water changed water?? :D::D:

:yes: I finally got something to cover the pump too. I got two strainer like bowls, cut holes to put the return pipe and power cord through, zip tied them together, and presto! No more leaves and fry plugging the pump! :cheer::clap:

EricT
11-30-2009, 09:02 AM
awesome.!

Koijazz
12-10-2009, 08:13 PM
I got pictures of the fry in the aquarium I want to keep. What breeds do you think they'll turn out to be?

EricT
12-30-2009, 01:26 PM
:bump: