PDA

View Full Version : Question about koi breeding setup

Koijazz
04-18-2009, 02:11 PM
I'm breeding my koi in an inflatable kiddiepool and will be using a corner filter box. Will it be too dangerous to leave the filter in the pool while the koi are breeding? I'm afraid my female will get bashed against it and I don't want her to get injuries that I could have prevented by simply taking out the filter. The fry will be raised in the pool and the filter will have a nylon wrapped around it to keep and fry from being sucked in.

tyco4357
04-18-2009, 09:37 PM
Isn't the filter going to suck up the eggs too? Just wondering.

Koijazz
04-19-2009, 01:06 AM
I don't think so. I know I want to put the filter in with the eggs though because the carbon stuff I purchased has a special rock in it (I can't remember what it's called) that helps lower the ammonia levels in the water which I'll need after the breeding. I think the suction is just enough to draw water passing by into it. The two koi are in the pool now without the filter anyway because I'm also afraid they'll break the filter.

Luck
04-19-2009, 02:26 AM
I'm breeding my koi in an inflatable kiddiepool and will be using a corner filter box. Will it be too dangerous to leave the filter in the pool while the koi are breeding? I'm afraid my female will get bashed against it and I don't want her to get injuries that I could have prevented by simply taking out the filter. The fry will be raised in the pool and the filter will have a nylon wrapped around it to keep and fry from being sucked in.
Take out the filter till the hoochie coochie is over...

Koijazz
04-19-2009, 08:14 PM
Well, the hoochie coochie is over so the filter's in!