PDA

View Full Version : Triggering the Koi Breeding Process

Koijazz
04-07-2009, 10:26 PM
I have heard that one good way to trigger koi breeding is sudden water temperature changes. Last year I simply netted the parents and dumped them right into the water for sudden water temp. changes. It is raining here in Hanford and my pond water is 60 F. One other thing I've always done to trigger the breeding is to make rain and they'd breed the next day. So since mother nature's doing the raining for me, I was wandering if it's okay to put the parents directly into water that has an eight degree difference? If it's okay then I'll move parents tomorrow.:yahoo::cheer::clap::cool3::D:

Koijazz
04-08-2009, 01:06 PM
I changed my mind and will wait a little longer to breed my koi since they're doing nothing suspicious so far.

Super Kindai
04-08-2009, 02:05 PM
That's a good decision since temperature is neither ideal nor stable yet for fry.

dan in quail valley
12-05-2013, 07:10 PM
I am new to koiphen and koi in general. I do have a few koi and I did have a mass spawn last year on May 30th I saved approx. 35 fry which are still kicking in a plastic preformed garden pond. I am planning on trying again this year. Do your koi spawn the same approx. time ea. year? I am in so. cal. but grew-up in visalia so am familiar with your climate which is very similiar to ours.