PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Fry Algae

Koijazz
04-07-2009, 12:44 AM
I can't really afford to spend a couple dollars a day on feeding my fry and am wondering if the fry could get food off of string algae. I get loads of it in the summer and am wondering if I could just put some in with my fry along with maybe a few rocks also covered in algae. For a filter there will be a corner filter box covered with nylon to protect the babies. Is this possible? There are after all lots of micro organisms in algae. Any help would be appreciated. :cool:

koi4u2c
04-07-2009, 04:57 PM
I have a limited knowledge with fry and algae, but here are some of the things I have learned.

After one spawn I ended up with fry in several tanks/ponds. Some of the eggs ended up in a green plant pond and did not get fed any food from me.
They grew better and faster than the young fry that were fed koi food. They could be seen constantly munching on algae and the plants. I assume there were microscopic organisms that they also fed on. I did not feed them for quite some time, since there was no filtration and they had good growth. I used it as a learning experience. No ammonia and no nitrite in the pond.

I have also read new fry can consume too much algae and when the sun comes out and expands the algae growth in their nearly transparent guts, their guts can rapidly expand and burst = dead fry.

Algae is supposed to be high protein. I believe it is sometimes very beneficial for the koi, both for their health and color, but it may also cause problems with PH swings and oxygen levels.

Koijazz
04-07-2009, 05:23 PM
The fry are going to be raised in an inflatable kiddie pool in a chain link fence enclosure. There's a roof over the top where they'll be and on the side where the sun would shine and fry them there's cardboard hanging up to block the sun. Would the algae bursting in their stomachs still be a problem if there's no real direct sunlight?

koi4u2c
04-07-2009, 05:42 PM
The fry that raised in my plant pond were unaffected by the algae and I did not seem to loose any.

Another time I lost all fry, but it could have been attributed to other reasons. I had 2 sets of koi spawn on the same day. One in above ground tank and one in inground pond about the same size. Weather suddenly got hot, fish in tank hatched in less than two days, fish in ground took longer to hatch. Water went green in tank, but not in pond. Loss of fish in green water may have been due to the fact that they hatched too early or poor quality eggs. I could only wonder if the algae caused the loss.

In raising fry, one thing is certain. You will learn a lot as you go. What works well one time, may not seem to work at all another time. I think most breeders continue to learn for years, if not forever.

Koijazz
04-08-2009, 01:04 PM
I have another question about feeding fry, this time about hatching brine shrimp eggs. I have no way to heat the water to hatch the eggs in so I'm going to put the two liter bottles in the pool with the fry and hold the bottles still with rocks. Since the fry will be in water somewhere in the 70s so will the brine shrimp being warmed by the water. I know that if the water is in the 80s the brine shrimp hatch in 24 hrs. How long will it take for the eggs to hatch with water being the 70s?

koikate
04-08-2009, 07:10 PM
I am not sure that algae filled green water is the best place to hatch fry or the correct habitat for them while they are still itsy bitsy, but I am reasonably certain that once the fry are big enough to eat powdered pelleted food, they generally do much better raised in algae tanks.

Algae gives them plenty of food available at all times and several breeders have stated their fry grow faster, larger and declare their colors and patterns much faster if raised in an algae tank. I believe those breeders are also adding plenty of Koi Clay or a similar product to make certain the trace minerals are there for good color.