PDA

View Full Version : Need help pairing koi

Koijazz
04-03-2009, 07:18 PM
I have asked in "Judge this Koi" what breeds of koi I have under "What Kind" and found out that my only female is a mutt and that I have a male Ochiba. I also have another male that is a mutt. Both are the proper size to pair with the female but I only want to use one male. What would be the best out come: Breeding mutt female with mutt male, or mutt female with Ochiba male? Is it possible to get any breeds from a mutt female? Any answers would be great! :cool: And another thing, I'm not breeding koi to show, just to have as pets! Thanks in advance.

Hirogoi
04-03-2009, 07:32 PM
You can get breeds from lots of random things. Your fish are too young I think to produce many viable offspring at this stage. I would just let them mass spawn, just to maximize potential babies.

Koijazz
04-03-2009, 08:59 PM
The main reason I'm breeding her is for her safety. We have 13 fish (only 4 are koi) and only one is a female. I'm afraid with 12 fish ganging up on one fish could be disastrous. That's also the reason why I bred her last year even though she was only a one year old. So I figure that if I'm going to bother breeder her I might as well do things right and get the most out of it.

Hirogoi
04-04-2009, 12:15 AM
I wouldn't be too worried about the goldies, how big is the female?

Hirogoi
04-04-2009, 12:16 AM
Or you can go with the magic solution of buy another larger female.

Koijazz
04-05-2009, 03:06 PM
She's about a foot long while the male koi are about 14 inches, and two close to 20, maybe a bit over. One I know is a little aggressive. I also don't want to flock spawn because the male comets might interfere and I don't want any more hybrids!

Cowiche Ponder
04-05-2009, 04:27 PM
sounds like time for a 2nd pond and move the female. Resolves the problem and a great excuse to build a 2nd pond.

Hirogoi
04-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Might be, I would really just add one or two BIG females. Make those little guys work.

Koijazz
04-05-2009, 05:23 PM
I already have purchased a inflatable kiddie pool to breed her in. I want to get rid of the comets and hybrids but dad says they're staying until I get some of my koi fry to survive and replace the unwanted fish with them. So which male would be the best to breed her with? The mutt or the Ochiba?

tyco4357
04-05-2009, 10:47 PM
I am no expert for sure, but I would do mutt and Ochiba. I think you have a better chance of getting some Ochibas at least.