PDA

View Full Version : Crazy mutts!!!!!!!!!

Koijazz
03-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Yesterday and today, my shubunkin, 7 inch butterfly koi, and all my mutts were chasing another mutt all over the place and bashing it like they were breeding. :eek1: My mutts can't possibly be females because they're REALLY skinny. I thought mutts couldn't breed anyway. So what they're trying to do I have no idea. :no: The pond's only 50 degreeS Fahrenheit and they're not touching my one female koi. (Thank goodness) What's going on!?:confused:

slmtrm
03-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Why can't mutts breed:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Did you have them spayed and neutered:eek1::eek1:

Babies are soon to follow......more mutts of course:D:

Koijazz
03-15-2009, 02:10 PM
I've always heard that mutts are sterile because they're part koi part comet. Hopefully there won't be any eggs because I ran out of koi food and the fish have been slurping a lot on the sides of the pond, so hopefully they're busy eating any eggs right now.

CHICHI
03-15-2009, 02:11 PM
Yesterday and today, my shubunkin, 7 inch butterfly koi, and all my mutts were chasing another mutt all over the place and bashing it like they were breeding. :eek1: My mutts can't possibly be females because they're REALLY skinny. I thought mutts couldn't breed anyway. So what they're trying to do I have no idea. :no: The pond's only 50 degreeS Fahrenheit and they're not touching my one female koi. (Thank goodness) What's going on!?:confused:

Do you mean "Hybrids" ?

Koijazz
03-15-2009, 02:18 PM
Sorry, at home we call hybrids mutts like you'd call a non purebred dog a mutt. Sorry about that!

gatorlover
03-15-2009, 02:37 PM
koijazz, I have 2 Koimets and they will swim along with the females when they are laying eggs. They like to suck up the eggs as they go along even though they have no male interests in them.

Koijazz
03-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Isn't it a bit early though? It's only 50 degrees the the shallow part of the pond! Why is it the hybrid/mutt that they're all chasing though? The only female in the pond is the female koi that they're ignoring!

gatorlover
03-15-2009, 04:42 PM
I don't know. I have goldfish other than the 2 koimets and they have plenty of females to chase after for the eggs. My water hasn't been as low as 50 all winter..

slmtrm
03-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Sorry, at home we call hybrids mutts like you'd call a non purebred dog a mutt. Sorry about that!
Mutts are crosses bettween two different types or breeds of koi, and resemble traits of the different types. Like you breed a poodle to a yorkie, you get a mutt ( or nowdays a yorkiepoo to be PC:rolleyes:) Hybrid is cross betweed koi and gold fish ( different species, same genus) They hae traits of koi and goldfish. They are considered to be sterile..... I have a koi sarassa cross that looks like a koi with huge flowing fins, but no barbells, otherwise she looks like a butterfly koi. I really love this Hybrid. She is solid blue/grey ( soragoiish) but she has wite highlights in the fins only:yes::yes::yes:

goofyboutgoldfish
03-15-2009, 08:42 PM
I've always heard that mutts are sterile because they're part koi part comet. Hopefully there won't be any eggs because I ran out of koi food and the fish have been slurping a lot on the sides of the pond, so hopefully they're busy eating any eggs right now.

Are you thinking about "mules"?:yes:

McKTX
03-15-2009, 09:06 PM
LOL yes like mules, Hybrids.

Any dog crossed with a dog makes a mutt, but not a hybrid. Dog crossed with wolf is a hybrid.

kytalker
03-15-2009, 10:15 PM
Mutts are crosses bettween two different types or breeds of koi, and resemble traits of the different types. Like you breed a poodle to a yorkie, you get a mutt ( or nowdays a yorkiepoo to be PC:rolleyes:) Hybrid is cross betweed koi and gold fish ( different species, same genus) They hae traits of koi and goldfish. They are considered to be sterile..... I have a koi sarassa cross that looks like a koi with huge flowing fins, but no barbells, otherwise she looks like a butterfly koi. I really love this Hybrid. She is solid blue/grey ( soragoiish) but she has wite highlights in the fins only:yes::yes::yes:
Are you talking about one like this?? We have had this one for 3 years.. It is a cross between a koi and a feeder goldie..

slmtrm
03-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Are you talking about one like this?? We have had this one for 3 years.. It is a cross between a koi and a feeder goldie..
Looks more like a butterfly koi from the pic . I see a barbell so I question if its a cross. If there are multiple male koi and goldies and females ( of course) in the same pond, it impossible to tell whose sperm fertilized whose egg. The only way to be 100% certain is to have 1 male and female in a tank of koi and goldie, then the offspring will be hybrid. IMHO it is a pretty pure butterfly koi:yes::yes::yes::yes:
Can you get a better pic of the mouth or are those barbells or skin on the nostrils. Looking at the fins , it does resemble the fins on my hybrid, Beautiful wavy flowing fins. I still think Kohaku Butterfly from pic ,but if no barbells it would possibly be hybrid.......Beautiful fish either way:yes::yes::yes:

Hirogoi
03-17-2009, 12:40 AM
That wouldn't be a normal cross. Colors get weird when the species mix.