PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Koi in Kiddie Pools?

Koijazz
02-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Last year, I bred my Koi in a hard plastic kiddie pool and all went well. The only problem is these pools only last one year before they start to deteriorate and crack. Besides, they take up a lot of storage room.

I was wondering if anyone has every tried using an inflatable kiddie pool, instead? I figure these store easier and would also have the benefit of soft sides for the female when she's bashed around by the male.

Anyone every tried this?

CHICHI
02-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Last year, I bred my Koi in a hard plastic kiddie pool and all went well. The only problem is these pools only last one year before they start to deteriorate and crack. Besides, they take up a lot of storage room.

I was wondering if anyone has every tried using an inflatable kiddie pool, instead? I figure these store easier and would also have the benefit of soft sides for the female when she's bashed around by the male.

Anyone every tried this?

Hi ..:D:

I don`t Breed Koi but have kept them along with other Fish in the Type that has an inflatable ring Top :yes: mine is an "Aqua-Leisure" 10ft circular Pool ..

These are fairly reliable for around 2 yrs which mine almost is so I will be replacing this during the Summer - only for "Emergencies" though..

vipldy
02-08-2009, 01:32 PM

Anyone every tried this?
Keep in mind when koi spawn and the males are shoving the females to release eggs they can jump pretty high..So my fear would be the koi jumping out of the kiddie pool.

Koijazz
02-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Last year I covered the pool with a thin painters tarp stretched tight over the whole pool and had rocks holding it down around the edges and they were fine. I'll be breeding only one male with one female. Although I would love to breed my Koi in a ten foot circular pool, my space is limited and I can only fit a 3 foot pool.

vipldy
02-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Last year I covered the pool with a thin painters tarp stretched tight over the whole pool and had rocks holding it down around the edges and they were fine. I'll be breeding only one male with one female. Although I would love to breed my Koi in a ten foot circular pool, my space is limited and I can only fit a 3 foot pool.

As long as when they hit the under side of the tarp they don't get hurt..Good idea:cool:

Koijazz
02-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Just testing to see if the image I added to my profile shows up on posts.

Koijazz
02-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Hmm. No luck. Can anyone help me with this? I used the profile upload tool to send a file. It shows up there, but nowhere else.

GloriaL
02-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Try the edit avatar under user cp

Koijazz
02-08-2009, 04:44 PM
That did it! Thanks GloriaL!

CHICHI
02-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Hmm. No luck. Can anyone help me with this? I used the profile upload tool to send a file. It shows up there, but nowhere else.

Mine had to be reduced in size considerably before it would upload :yes:

Koijazz
02-22-2009, 04:06 PM
I purchased a rectangular kiddie pool on e-bay and got it last week. It's 3 feetX4 feetX1 foot. I filled it with water Friday and so far no leaks:) I plan to breed my Koi in April which is less than two months away surprisingly.

JoesPonds.com
02-22-2009, 05:54 PM
You may want to try going with an Intex above-ground pool. We used one for a few spawnings ourselves and they worked well for this purpose. You also may want to contact our buddy Zac at Jacksonville Koi Supply about his new line of Deep Water tanks, which offer more depth...making them ideal for quarantine tanks (and fry rearing tanks) as well!

Lucky Touch
02-22-2009, 10:37 PM
I think the size you mention is too small. There are many cheap 8' diameter pools out here that would work better. Dave

Dave
02-23-2009, 01:49 AM
hi,

I use the inflatable kiddies pools , three infalatable rings abd 35cm deep, for keeping and breeding my shubunkins, they lasted for a considerable perion of time. They where up for about 3 years in the african sun. They however did not make the move when i moved house, they get brittle after all that time. Should be great for spawning for the reasons stated, just add spawning mops and some sort of netting over the top.

Also makes hatching the easier, you have two ponds set up, the one you use to spawn in the other one you seed with daphnia and get the water green. Then when the spawning is done you move the mops over to the prepared tank, and get your brine shrimp hatchery ready.

Dave
02-23-2009, 05:00 AM
Like this...

Thats shade cloth over two polystyrene pontoons, provides shade and prtection.