PDA

View Full Version : found another neat book

dick benbow
01-07-2009, 09:04 AM
By Larry jackel, it's called Pondersona pine....and deals with it's capture ( yamadori) taming and care. I've seen some beautiful examples of this pine
that were dug from the wild but very few articles in all my magazines on caring for it. So I was tickled to find something in depth. Funny, with Koi I have been lately focused on, are coming from domestic producers
and now with bonsai am getting more and more interested in native trees as bonsai.

I couldn't find a photo in my snapshots of native trees of ponderosa but this native hemlock is pretty neat

Another book I did manage to find on NE trees was nick lenz and `Bonsai from the wild. I lucked out and got an autographed copy. his specialty is larch.

After I get done with the ponderosa pine book, i'll have to find one!

sundan
01-07-2009, 10:42 AM
By Larry jackel, it's called Pondersona pine....and deals with it's capture ( yamadori) taming and care. I've seen some beautiful examples of this pine
that were dug from the wild but very few articles in all my magazines on caring for it. So I was tickled to find something in depth. Funny, with Koi I have been lately focused on, are coming from domestic producers
and now with bonsai am getting more and more interested in native trees as bonsai.

I couldn't find a photo in my snapshots of native trees of ponderosa but this native hemlock is pretty neat

Another book I did manage to find on NE trees was nick lenz and `Bonsai from the wild. I lucked out and got an autographed copy. his specialty is larch.

After I get done with the ponderosa pine book, i'll have to find one!

Dick, do you have any white pine bonsai? They are a lot of work, however must stunning of all bonsai. Living in Miami then was to warm for white pine but ponderosa grew like a weed. Can see it needed haircut. Since then have moved to Lake Wales, sold must of my bonsai and orchids, really miss them.

dick benbow
01-07-2009, 01:21 PM
wow! what a pretty display, love the orchids! Yes that's the trouble with moving that most of your collection can't make the adjustment....thanks for the photos!

dick benbow
01-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Book came in this afternoon's mail. had in read in just a little over an hr. very good pics
and additional reference material. I like his feature of having other Ponderosa nuts from around our nation to chime in on what they learned from their specific locale. Nice little
book, and Larry autographed it for me...