PDA

View Full Version : comments on my showa (I think)

d.koi
12-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Please tell me what you think of this one I think it would be clasifyed as a showa but am not shure. she is my nicest fish and I got her by fluke and have always wondered if she is of decent quality or not. Thanks for your comments

Dr J I Phillips
12-10-2008, 02:25 AM
Hi d.koi
My impression from this photo is of a doitsu sanke. The black (sumi) is well developed and particularly heavy. It is mainly above the lateral line, unlike a showa which has a wrapping sumi pattern rising from below. There is no sumi head pattern and looking at the pectoral fins there appears to be stripes (tejima) rather than a solid ball of black at the base of the fins (motoguro).
The colours are well developed and I am sure this koi makes a very good impression in your pond. The black on the white patch at the shoulder is a particularly good point of appreciation.
In terms of show quality, I have to be more critical. The conformation of this koi is not ideal and conformation is very important for show koi. The small, (speckly) black markings and the red eyes are not appreciated for show purposes.
I hope my comments are helpful to you but do not detract from the pleasure that this koi gives you.

d.koi
12-10-2008, 09:35 AM
thank you for your comments. I am realy trying to understand conformation so I can better my knowlage and selection ability. could you explain what it is you are looking at when you say the conformation is not ideal. Thanks

Russell Peters
12-10-2008, 10:02 AM
I will be totally honest. It is a Doitsu Sanke and it is not show quality at all. It is pond grade.

PapaBear
12-10-2008, 02:02 PM
It would be helpful if you had a better picture as this one appears to have water ripples that distort the appearance of the body. That being said, the frame appears to lack the kind of volume potential for a good conformation. IF the water is not rippled and the body is as pictured, it has a lump on the face and one on the side of the abdomen, which would be disqualifying demerits in a show. As the good Dr. pointed out, the scattered bits of sumi create a distracting appearance, which is another no-show issue. Aka Sanke generally don't do well in shows as the beni overwhelms the overall look of the fish, making it very difficult to achieve a good balance to the pattern.

All that being said, the colors are well developed and appear to have peaked in terms of quality. Enjoy it in the pond as you learn how to do even better in your future selections as that seems to be your goal.

Dr J I Phillips
12-11-2008, 05:05 AM
Hi d.koi
Conformation is not easy to explain, it is better demonstrated at the pondside (preferably on a sunny day with a cold beverage in hand!).
At a show we look to see that the koi is not bent or deformed in any way. The widest part of the koi should be just behind the gills not way back in the abdomen. Other points to consider include the fins. These should be nicely rounded and not pointed. As well as being not unusually large or small. There is a lot to conformation and the best way to learn is to see as many good koi as possible. Attend shows and pond visits with your local club. It is a long journey, but an enjoyable one.
It is relatively easy to see demerits, faults and flaws in koi. Judges however, are trained to look for the good qualities in a koi. If I had to give one judging tip it would be to try and appreciate the good points of a koi before focusing on the demerits.

d.koi
12-11-2008, 09:55 AM
It would be helpful if you had a better picture as this one appears to have water ripples that distort the appearance of the body. That being said, the frame appears to lack the kind of volume potential for a good conformation. IF the water is not rippled and the body is as pictured, it has a lump on the face and one on the side of the abdomen, which would be disqualifying demerits in a show. As the good Dr. pointed out, the scattered bits of sumi create a distracting appearance, which is another no-show issue. Aka Sanke generally don't do well in shows as the beni overwhelms the overall look of the fish, making it very difficult to achieve a good balance to the pattern.

All that being said, the colors are well developed and appear to have peaked in terms of quality. Enjoy it in the pond as you learn how to do even better in your future selections as that seems to be your goal.

yes the water is rippled and she is alot nicer in person. I thank you all for your comments every bit of input helps me learn more.