PDA

View Full Version : Ponderingkoi's SU growout

ponderingkoi
10-15-2008, 01:44 PM
I bowled my SU today, 10-15-08 cuz I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to do it again in two weeks. Water temps been in the 50's for over a week, so I doubt they're eating much anymore. Here's before and today pics. It's hard to get a pic. with her lined up and straight against the ruler markings but it looks like "she's" ;) just breaking 16". :cool3: She wasn't too happy about being singled out. The sumi is fading in my soft water, may harden it up next summer to see if it'll come back.

broll
10-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Wow... nice conformation.
The sumi will be back and she's going to be stunning.

What was her starting length?

bec

ponderingkoi
10-15-2008, 02:34 PM
I think she was around 6-7" inches, not sure. I didn't measure her starting out. I should get myself a nice blue bowl...lol! :rolleyes:

Lari
10-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Excellent growth, and she does have a nice shape.

premster
10-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Wow 16" that is amazing growth .

koitoo
10-15-2008, 11:19 PM
We have a winner:clap: :clap: :clap: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

ponderingkoi
10-15-2008, 11:28 PM
We have a winner:clap: :clap: :clap: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

I'm sure there are a lot of koi out there yet to be bowled, and probably still chowing down for another two weeks....lol! ;)

ponderingkoi
10-18-2008, 03:06 PM
I'll catch her again this next week and see if I can get some better pics...with a makeshift 'better blue' background, and with some side profile shots against a tape measure. It's tough with the wind and leaves blowing. I have to get a calm day to pull the net off and drain down the pond in order to catch her. Then the greenhouse goes up and access will be too difficult.

Rudy
10-18-2008, 03:19 PM
I thought I responded to this yesterday :confused:

Paula you did great and I'm hoping that 16" is not the norm so :wtg: on the growth.

Don't worry to much about the sumi yet, get the shiro thick and pure as milk then let that black out with a lacquer finish. :yahoo:

Ya done good :yes:

ponderingkoi
10-18-2008, 04:12 PM
Thanks Rudy. I'm not worried about the sumi. I sure would like to see the black come in next summer, so I may harden up the water some. Everyone else's SU's look so awesome with that distinct sumi. I can't take much credit for it's growth either... as they fed themselves for the most part. With the flooded pond and then my pump down for a week, I'm surprised they all hung in there so well. That water is 49 degrees today and we're heading into the 20's tonight...cold for us, with a strong wind. I worry a little about stressing them in this cold water/weather. I've got to get my greenhouse up this week. So final pics and measurements will get done this week.

ponderingkoi
10-27-2008, 12:47 PM
I bowled my SU again today (in 50 degree water & running a 102 temp.:rolleyes: ) to get a better measurement against the side. She is 15 inches with a lot of girth. Here are some pics just taken...

premster
10-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Paula now that it is colder do you see the sumi tighten up ?

ponderingkoi
10-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Usually I see the sumi fade more in the cold water...at least on my shusui that seems like the case. I think there's some shrinkage going on in this cold water...lol! I had thought she looked like she was just breaking 16" a couple weeks ago. The overhead shots can be a little deceiving. This one has really bulked up though in girth esp.

premster
10-27-2008, 02:04 PM
paula .. in shiros particularly tosai when they are growing in the warmer months the sumi will lighten and then will darken when the growth rates slow down in the fall . as they grow older since the growth lessens it will not happen that sharply . sushui are different to Shiros I think.

ponderingkoi
10-27-2008, 02:17 PM
paula .. in shiros particularly tosai when they are growing in the warmer months the sumi will lighten and then will darken when the growth rates slow down in the fall . as they grow older since the growth lessens it will not happen that sharply . sushui are different to Shiros I think.

I hope you are right. I have very soft water, but may harden it next summer to see if the sumi will come back. I love the distinct look of everyone's shiros. So stunning. My koi seem to grow even in the winter. Not sure how, cuz they get no food from mid-Oct. till mid. April. It'll be interesting to see if it comes back over the winter.

premster
10-27-2008, 02:22 PM
it should .

Sugarloafkoi
10-28-2008, 07:22 AM
Paula, the Shiroji looks excellent, the sumi should come up next year.

Matt

ponderingkoi
10-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Hey Matt! She turns pink quickly when I bowl her. She a lot happier in the pond hanging out with the others. I'm looking forward to seeing how this fish develops next year. She's heading into her first NY winter.

ponderingkoi
10-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Holy #$$%! Did you see that forecast?! They are talking FEET of snow just to the north of us. I think we're in for a long cold and snowy winter.

premster
10-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Holy #$$%! Did you see that forecast?! They are talking FEET of snow just to the north of us. I think we're in for a long cold and snowy winter.

what did u say snow ... :eek1: thank goodness I am going to Cali .. will post sum pics to make you all feel bad :yes:

ponderingkoi
10-28-2008, 07:42 PM
I need some warm weather. I've been running a 102-103 temp. for three days and hate the shivers. I picked up my son's nasty cold bug last week. I soaked for half hour in a hot tub and was still shivering the whole time. This cold rain is not helping at all.

premster
10-28-2008, 09:55 PM
It is cold here too . and having a cold on top of that sucks , ..lots of hot drinks and a bit of vodka ..:yes: At least you dont have to worry about your green house collapsing .. (where as I do:D: )

ponderingkoi
10-29-2008, 06:43 AM
As it turns out, we got no snow at all. We are too low in elevation and the lake is still in the 50's which holds our temp. warmer into fall. I am still so sick. Think I'll take a trip to the dr's today. Can't go on much longer like this.

premster
10-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Ah..Paula. you should be in Sunny California .. like me .. nothing like a bit of sun to raise your sprits :D:

ponderingkoi
10-30-2008, 06:36 AM
Actually, nothing like some strong drugs to raise my spirits....lol! Turns out I have pneumonia and was dehydrated. Got pumped full of IV fluids yesterday and started on some antibiotics. Man, I thought I was dying.

HAMMERHEAD
10-30-2008, 07:58 AM
Actually, nothing like some strong drugs to raise my spirits....lol! Turns out I have pneumonia and was dehydrated. Got pumped full of IV fluids yesterday and started on some antibiotics. Man, I thought I was dying.

Hope your on the road to recovery...pneumonia is nothing to play with :no:

Marilyn
10-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Ah..Paula. you should be in Sunny California .. like me .. nothing like a bit of sun to raise your sprits :D:

Ok, what did you do with the sunshine? ;)

Paula, so sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Take care and take it easy.
Nice SU!

ponderingkoi
10-30-2008, 06:16 PM
I feel like I'm coming back from the brink of death. My Doc said today I was the sickest person they've seen in their office all year (and THAT was supposed to make me feel better?!). I don't think I've been sick in 20 years. Not used to laying around, watching old movies etc. Leaving all the cooking up to DH...which could be a real problem cuz he never cooks...lol. Think we'll be having a lot of take out till I recover.

DebbieKSW
10-30-2008, 06:46 PM
I have had Pnuemonia..and it is not nice.
Hope you you are quickly on the improve Paula.
Nice to have soemone to take care of you..even if he can't cook...take it easy.

koitoo
10-30-2008, 08:18 PM
Paula,

I hope you feel better.... a lot of chicken soup, water, and rest. Did you get sick from putting up the cover for the pond? I remembered you said it was cold and wet.

premster
10-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Ok, what did you do with the sunshine? ;)

Paula, so sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Take care and take it easy.
Nice SU!

Yeah , where did it go ? :harhar:

Pneumonia is scary paula .. it is bad stuff , take care and stay warm ..

ponderingkoi
10-30-2008, 09:38 PM
I think I picked up my son's nasty fever/cough bug but mine went quickly into my lungs. Weird too cuz I went for a nice 3 mile run on Friday with DH, then by Sunday I felt like I'd been run over. Four days of fevers with no let up despite Tylenol and coughing so hard nearly constantly (I oughta have six pack abs by now...lol!) :rolleyes: but I still couldn't kick it. Felt like someone should put me out of my misery. I actually went into 47 degree pond water to catch my SU with a 102 temp...which may have been the only temporary relief I had from the fever.:eek1:

premster
10-30-2008, 11:29 PM
paula .. your SU fishing ship is prolly what caused you to worsen to pneumonia ..

LilHoover
10-31-2008, 12:00 AM
Take really good care of yourself, ok? My FIL was in the hospital for a week due to pneumonia. He got out today.

The SU looks great!

ponderingkoi
10-31-2008, 08:48 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm still hacking like a chain-smoker...but I'm getting there. DH is aggravated with my Doctor's treatment plan, and argueing why I should be on 'xyz' meds in addition etc. as he gives HIS patients. I feel like telling him he can take it up with my doctor and let the two docs have it out on the phone. I just need my rest. So I've got two Doctors telling me two different things.

Marilyn
10-31-2008, 10:41 AM
Like what you need right now is two docs in a pi**ing contest. :rolleyes:

Please be serious about the rest, we want to be well so.... when you start feeling a little better, don't overdue it.
The body starts sending you more energy and it's meant to be used to fight the last of the illness. That's some of the best advice I ever got from a doc.

The first time I didn't listen and the pneumonia symptoms lasted months, the next time I did and was through it in 6 weeks. :yes:

Ok, edit because I reread your post. Is one of the docs your hubby? If so, he loves you and wants what is best for you.
But he should be the one on the phone, lol.

ponderingkoi
10-31-2008, 11:38 AM
Yeah, DH is one of the Docs...lol. His specialty is oral surgery/dentistry though. But the man does know his meds and often feels docs underdose patients. He'll tell me I should always double the first dose of meds and of course that works great for his patients, but I can't go against MY doctor's orders. So I go through this back and forth with him any time I need to take some meds. I SHOULD just put him on the phone with my doctor and save myself some breath.

ponderingkoi
04-25-2009, 09:39 PM
Spring update. My SU made it through our very cold and snowy winter under the greenhouse and is looking great! All the koi look so much bigger each spring, don't know how they do it when they don't get any food from me all winter. They have just started to eat this week. Not sure when I'll get a chance to catch and measure. Might wait for it to warm up a bit more. Pattern looks about the same, though I think some of the sumi is starting to come in darker.

ponderingkoi
05-07-2009, 09:31 AM
My SU made it through a long winter. It's in the pond with some big ones but hangs in there well with them. Not the best pics, but it'll have to do for now.

rainblood
05-07-2009, 11:05 AM
She looks to be the runt of the pack at 15"

ponderingkoi
05-07-2009, 11:29 AM
She is, but she'll put on some good weight now. She seems to be growing faster than the others did at her age. I think the demand feeder has a lot to do with it. They don't have to wait for me to be fed.