PDA

View Full Version : Surprise we are parents...

Casey's fish
10-05-2008, 12:22 PM
My husband and I are in our third year of koi. We recently moved our "kids" inside for the winter. we have 5 koi ranging from 6 to 9 inches. My husband was doing our winter clean on the lined pond and found what he thought were minnows. he put them in a tank and I started research, they are about 3/4 of an inch and show only shades of grey and white. one has a tinge of orange. We have no idea of what to do. we have the babies in a breeder net to keep them safe, we have 5 survivors. :clap: we do not know how old they are, or who the sneaky parents are. we are excited, any advice for us? Nice and simple please... :bow:

vipldy
10-05-2008, 01:13 PM
My husband and I are in our third year of koi. We recently moved our "kids" inside for the winter. we have 5 koi ranging from 6 to 9 inches. My husband was doing our winter clean on the lined pond and found what he thought were minnows. he put them in a tank and I started research, they are about 3/4 of an inch and show only shades of grey and white. one has a tinge of orange. We have no idea of what to do. we have the babies in a breeder net to keep them safe, we have 5 survivors. :clap: we do not know how old they are, or who the sneaky parents are. we are excited, any advice for us? Nice and simple please... :bow:

6-9" koi do not spawn but if you have goldies that could be it..Do you have pics?

LIjohn
10-06-2008, 07:02 AM
6-9" koi do not spawn but if you have goldies that could be it..Do you have pics?

it is rare :yes: , but in the 10+ years that i've been breeding my koi, i have seen ONE 9-10" female spawn... so it is doubtful, but possible...

majederr
10-06-2008, 07:50 AM
They don't spawn because of size or "assumed" age?

vipldy
10-06-2008, 10:46 AM
They don't spawn because of size or "assumed" age?

Because of their sexual maturity..Now I find it doubtful that your 6-9" fish are "mature" but I guess anything could happen..They usually don't spawn until they 2-3 years old..

Marie

lukef
10-06-2008, 07:51 PM
koi 'sexual maturation" is associated with the number of "warm hours", that's what the experts told me and i am sticking to it.
koi that aren't fed well but kept in warm water will be small and mature..or koi kept for a longtime and fed very little could be as well.

Just Jessie
10-06-2008, 08:18 PM
I found some very similarly colored fish in my pond last year, I have no idea how they got there and I know my koi were to young to spawn. Turns out they were some kind of minnow or chub (no barbels). I am assuming they came in on plants, but I don't know for sure. Because more showed up in another pond this year and I didn't get any new plants.
Maybe they come in with the rain, I don't know.

Casey's fish
10-08-2008, 10:17 PM

I have one comet and one Shubunkin. others are koi. all but one are butterfly.
These are the best pics I could get they are now a greenish color, like light pea soup. about an inch if that. someone mentioned plants being a source, we did have hyacinths but they faded pretty early this year.
Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

Casey's fish
10-08-2008, 10:22 PM
koi 'sexual maturation" is associated with the number of "warm hours", that's what the experts told me and i am sticking to it.
koi that aren't fed well but kept in warm water will be small and mature..or koi kept for a longtime and fed very little could be as well.

We did have a few really warm spells with our pond we are working on proper shading for next year. Wicked algae blooms. I know that one of our 6er's "gil" is atleast 3 years old, we have had her for three full summers. The others no idea of age.

Have you had "Small" fish spawn?

Thanks!

gander
10-08-2008, 11:14 PM

yes they do. when I bought my first Koi. They were all that size. They spawned the first week I put them in my pond. Unfortunately they have never stopped

Just Jessie
10-08-2008, 11:18 PM
They look like goldfish, can you make out any barbles?

wputnam
10-09-2008, 12:07 AM
Dem ain't KOI !!! Dem R Cam mo fish...

Casey's fish
10-21-2008, 12:39 PM
No I don't see any barbles. I can see some shading to them now, I don't think they are koi either. We went to the place we purchased the plants from and they had a gold fish spawn in their pond, we are thinking we got some babies from them. They are cute anyway. What ever they are....:confused:

vipldy
10-21-2008, 02:08 PM
No I don't see any barbles. I can see some shading to them now, I don't think they are koi either. We went to the place we purchased the plants from and they had a gold fish spawn in their pond, we are thinking we got some babies from them. They are cute anyway. What ever they are....:confused:

Post pics:yes: :clap:

Hirogoi
10-29-2008, 02:28 AM
My 7-9 inch females have spawned before. They were heated all winter and I think that's what did it.