PDA

View Full Version : Advice: bringing koi babies into the house for winter.

Koigrl
09-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Hi, all,
I started catching baby koi this summer from my mud pond, have got about twenty survivors in a net basket in the pond. they have been eating and growing. some are 3/4 of an inch, others 1.5 inches. I have a 100 gallon farm tank, filter, aeration, and a room with a skylight, a stone floor, electric, non-chlor water and a drain. thought i'd bring in a potted water lily, too. could this pot bring in bad bacteria? are the koi better off without it? what about duckweed, good or bad? any advice?

Graham
09-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Plants including duckweed help water quality

vipldy
09-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Hi, all,
I started catching baby koi this summer from my mud pond, have got about twenty survivors in a net basket in the pond. they have been eating and growing. some are 3/4 of an inch, others 1.5 inches. I have a 100 gallon farm tank, filter, aeration, and a room with a skylight, a stone floor, electric, non-chlor water and a drain. thought i'd bring in a potted water lily, too. could this pot bring in bad bacteria? are the koi better off without it? what about duckweed, good or bad? any advice?

The water lilies could bring in nasties and also they need a dormant time so they will bloom well next year so they are out. We don't have any plants in the indoor tanks and the koi do fine.You can try the duck weed and see what happens. Cute babies BTW:yes:

Marie

Greg Stienstra
09-22-2008, 11:06 PM
Hi, all,

Hi Maxine!
I wouldn't bother with the plants. But you'll need to get high protein feed for them. I'm using 50% protein feed in the 2mm pellet size, slow sinking from Ziegler Bros. When they get to 3" long you can start feeding them 3mm pellets. I also put salt in the water between .15 and .2%. I use Diamond Crystal solar salt ( blue bag) from Lowes. It's better to feed small amounts of food 4 or 5 times a day. What they will eat in 2 or 3 minutes. Other wise you're throwing your money away and plugging up your filter. I try to change out the water twice a week and rinse the filter mats out once a week. Of course I have allot more fry in my tanks. 30 in one 100 gal, 50 in another 100 gal, 70 in a 150 gal and about 100 in a 300 gallon tank. See this link for my tank setup. http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70779

Koigrl
09-23-2008, 01:22 AM
hi, Greg!
Thanks for sending the thread of your awesome tank set-up, daunting for a mudponder to ponder. Q: Why do you use the salt?
Max