PDA

View Full Version : thumbs up or down for this sanke?

68bruin
09-14-2008, 08:53 PM
I picked this one out about eight months ago - female, now about 17", hi is more orange and red (which makes her stand out among my other gosankes). Overall, I like this fish, but what do you think her good, average, and bad characteristics are?

stephen
09-14-2008, 08:54 PM
:cool: :cool:

premster
09-14-2008, 08:55 PM
I love that one . not much wrong I can see .

68bruin
09-17-2008, 10:12 PM
I was hoping for a few more comments evaluating conformation, hi, hi pattern, sumi quality and distribution, shiro, finnage, etc. Anyone?

lukef
09-17-2008, 10:35 PM
in the first pic the conformation is terrible, and the other pics don't disprove that...the sumi though really black is not thick..the underneath color pokes through..there are stray dots of sumi the hi in the tail is weak.
the shiro is good...
And I like the hi pattern... there isn't too much black paint...the artist just was messy and applied it too thin..
may get better with age (if the body conformation is not there) but won't win anything right now

68bruin
09-17-2008, 10:36 PM
for instance, I notice: red in tail, some areas of somewhat undefined hi, sumi changes (breaking up?), black on one pec only that looks more like motoguru than rays, slight blush on shiro of right gill plate. How do these things and others you may notice affect the final evaluation of the quality of this fish?

Brutuscz
09-17-2008, 10:44 PM
I like it a great deal. My original issue was the sumi on the pec fin...but, it is receding nicely. The conformation is very good. The beni seems even...only problem is near the base of the tail. That will work itself out...either deepen or recede..it will still be better than unfinished. I would definitely throw it in a show to see what happens. A very nice choice!!! Who is the breeder?

patch
09-17-2008, 10:52 PM
beautiful koi :yes:

Aussies5
09-17-2008, 11:12 PM
I don't know about conformation, etc. but I really like the excellent white on the face.

I have several with used to be white faces that are now yellow. The white in their body is still outstanding but I cannot get past the yellowish faces and sometimes all the way down the side of the face.

Have been feeding Hi Silk with Sweet Potato which I have been told helps the white. Again has helped white on body, no help on face.

redza
09-18-2008, 09:27 AM
i think shes very nice!!

Cowiche Ponder
09-18-2008, 11:07 AM
time line on pics? sumi is breaking up in last pic

68bruin
09-19-2008, 01:43 AM
I will try to get a photo of what it looks like today - If the conformation is "terrible" then I will have to start over with my conception of conformation.

koiman1950
09-19-2008, 03:18 AM
for instance, I notice: red in tail, some areas of somewhat undefined hi, sumi changes (breaking up?), black on one pec only that looks more like motoguru than rays, slight blush on shiro of right gill plate. How do these things and others you may notice affect the final evaluation of the quality of this fish?

Bruin

You mention "red in the tail" - I don't see any. What I do see is red on the scales at the side of the tail which, although not highly cherished is not a major fault.

But, before commenting further, I would like a bit more info to go on - How old is this fish, who is the breeder and what is the actual date progression of the photos? The first one looks like it's from Kodama's auction site and the others look like they were taken all at the same time, in-pond, by you. Also, what was the pond temp at the time of the photos?

Mike

68bruin
09-19-2008, 07:10 PM
Yes, the red is not part of the tail fin but is on the very end of the tail tube that goes into the fin. Because the tail fin circles around the outside of the tail tube, it gives the appearance that the red is in the fin. I wasn't sure if this was looked at as a fault, but I can understand that the messyness of the hi around the tail tube would be.

Mike, you are correct, this female is a kodama auction fish, born sometime in 2006, breeder is Maruda, arrived at 38cm (15") in early spring, photos in my pond were in summer, guessing water temps above 80.

Here is the most recent shot I have taken early Sept but the sanke wasn't the subject obviously. Thanks for any comment. Larry