PDA

View Full Version : Spawn Questions!

Loverkoi
08-23-2008, 09:10 AM
I have to admit im still new to this hobby. Alright here's my question.

What do i do to keep at least some of my fries alive? I had a spawn a couple months back but all of them were eaten up by the bigger guys. I've heard people placing spawning ropes and such items into the pond, what other methods are there?

Is there anyway to hatch the eggs in a seperate tank instead of leaving it inside the pond?

Thank you!

vipldy
08-23-2008, 03:15 PM
I have to admit im still new to this hobby. Alright here's my question.

What do i do to keep at least some of my fries alive? I had a spawn a couple months back but all of them were eaten up by the bigger guys. I've heard people placing spawning ropes and such items into the pond, what other methods are there?

Is there anyway to hatch the eggs in a seperate tank instead of leaving it inside the pond?

Thank you!
If you have a watergarden with pots and plants I am surprised none of the fry make it. Our pond is to deep for plants so we used the brushes and removed them after they spawned and put them in a stock tank to hatch.

Marie

lukef
08-23-2008, 04:05 PM
easiest way to keep some fry alive is too have a big filter...some always get in their and "live...barring that...start a lily pad pond and when girls spawn thow ANY soft plants or spawning material in there and then put it in the lily pond..you'll have fry

Loverkoi
08-23-2008, 08:48 PM
Hmmmm.. You think if i try and look into my filter now i'll have chance of finding some fry? Heh. Thanks for the info!

Bjonness
08-29-2008, 02:26 PM
I just bought a 150 gallon Rubbermaid trouf for next spring spawning! (I bought it at Wilco!) "But use the water from the pond" Oh and I just figured out from a koi farm, you can dip your spawning plants in potaseium permanganate (PP) to kill ALL the bacteria so when you put your plants back in the pond and once after they spawn then the eggs will be safe from harmful fungus and bacteria! Good Luck!