PDA

View Full Version : Midorigoi anyone

rosekoi
08-21-2008, 05:29 PM
I have been looking for a nice midori for some time. Anyone know if either of these will grow into a nice one. Being so young I have no idea what they might grow into. About 7' in size.

Limpet
08-21-2008, 05:33 PM
They both look pretty nice, i like the larger of the two. It looks cleaner in the head area.

rosekoi
08-21-2008, 05:41 PM
They both look pretty nice, i like the larger of the two. It looks cleaner in the head area.

That's the one I liked also. Being so young I just don't know. Have you had any experence with this bred.

sactownkoi
08-21-2008, 05:44 PM
I too like the big one better but I recommend findind a Midorigoi with red eyes much more rare.

Hirogoi
08-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Take the lower one. When you pick midorigoi look for eveness of color. The bigger fish has a softer yellow that extends from the head through the body. When it grows it could go more yellow or more lime. Kinda a toss up.

rosekoi
08-21-2008, 09:14 PM
I too like the big one better but I recommend findind a Midorigoi with red eyes much more rare.

I wasn't aware Midorigoi was aval. in a red eye model.

Limpet
08-21-2008, 09:21 PM
That's the one I liked also. Being so young I just don't know. Have you had any experence with this bred.

:no: I've only seen a couple in real life. I like them but have never seen any for sale.

dick benbow
08-21-2008, 09:39 PM
midori is green in japanese. Good ones in wagoi or leather carp are hard to find. Both of these are actually heavier in the yellow than should be.

BUT

I want to quickly hasten that they still would be unique in a pond none the
less. If you must limit your selection to one, get the lower one as I believe the body shape and clear head is an advantage. Last time I saw a good one was 4 years ago and it was scaled. I'd rather have you get one to enjoy and learn from as opposed for the long wait to find a perfect one.

rosekoi
08-21-2008, 10:04 PM
THANKS DICK:bow:

PapaBear
08-22-2008, 06:31 AM
There are only a tiny handful of breeders who breed them successfully so Dick's advice is definitely good to follow here. The true "green" ones seem almost colorless when young and are very difficult to hold a nice color on unless you have wonderfully soft water. I saw a beautiful Wagoi midori a few years back, but they are few and far between.

rosekoi
08-22-2008, 09:57 AM
There are only a tiny handful of breeders who breed them successfully so Dick's advice is definitely good to follow here. The true "green" ones seem almost colorless when young and are very difficult to hold a nice color on unless you have wonderfully soft water. I saw a beautiful Wagoi midori a few years back, but they are few and far between.

Thanks PapaBear for the info. Even though it may be bad news for me being I have hard water. Tap gh runs 150 to 160.

The dealer that has these two found a third one and is sending pics.

Will post it later.

koiman1950
08-22-2008, 03:46 PM
I too like the bottom one of the two. As Dick has pointed out, trying to find a "good one" is like 1 in 10mil. as they are not very popular in Japan so very few of them are bred. When one does come along, it won't be coming to the States anytime soon! As far as your Kh goes, that range is fine. It's the Gh that is your "General Hardness" and is important to keep down to around 100 - 150. Closer to 100 is best. This should not effect your Kh which is your buffer for the Ph. Hard water does have an effect on this variety, but it can create problems for others as well. It's part of the learning curve and journey through this hobby that allows us to learn just what varieties we can be successful at keeping and which ones just turn out to be mutts within a year or two. Enjoy the journey for what you want to get out of it, not what anyone else tells you to do, except in this case - IF you really want a Midorigoi, buy the bottom one and let the herons have the top one!:eek1: :rolleyes: :D: J/K

Mike

Midorigoi
08-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Top one is a little greener, but the bottom one is cleaner. I'd actually buy both if thats possible. See what they grow up in to then cull the 'lesser' one.

Joel Acker
08-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Here is a pair of scaled Midori they are in seperate ponds but bowled for this topic. Midori is a hard to come by fish and if you can find one that doesnt show shimi at an early age call it a blessing, with the scaled as well. in the pics look at the color difference. just remember asagi is in the blood so its a crap shoot with shimi.

rosekoi
08-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Just got word from the dealer, seems he lost the 3rd. modori that he was going to send pics. of.

So it's just these two to pick from ,everyone seems to agree the larger or bottom of the two is the nicer one.

Now let's change the question of which of the two to will this make a nice midori.

Culling if it does not turn out the way we would like is not a option. Once it's lucky butt hits our pond it will be here for life. This is the one fish we both have wanted for some time . This could be our last fish for some time. . I'am sure you all understand the over stock problem.

rosekoi
08-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Well We done it.. SHE(i hope) is in the air on her way to Ohio.

Yes we did pick the larger one. :clap: :yahoo:

BruceP
08-25-2008, 07:54 PM
She is a pretty fish. She will be a nice addition to your pond no matter what she does with the color...... ENJOY! :)

Hirogoi
08-26-2008, 02:10 AM
Good luck. If she doesn't turn out and you still have the overstock problem do the magical thing and build a bigger pond.

rosekoi
08-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Well bad news..
Took off work, Got up @ 5:30am,Log on to track the arival of my new koi , and what do I see? :eek1: :eek1:

'' PACKAGE WAS LEFT @ FACILITY IN LOUISVILLE"

Several phone calls to UPS and all I knnow is

"PACKAGE WAS LEFT @ FACILITY IN LOUISVILLE"

CINDY DID YOU HI-JACK MY FISH ?:D:

Dealer has asured me she will be OK. I sure hope so.

Anyone have experience with two day delivery.

premster
08-26-2008, 05:23 PM
I have had 2 day ground from MD with no problem . I thikn it may be the "package left the facility" you are reading wrong .

rosekoi
08-26-2008, 05:47 PM
I . I thikn it may be the "package left the facility" you are reading wrong .

:confused:
:shrug:
This was a next day delivery

premster
08-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Cant you call them ?

rosekoi
08-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Cant you call them ?

Several phone calls to UPS and all I knnow is

"PACKAGE WAS LEFT @ FACILITY IN LOUISVILLE"

:confused:

premster
08-26-2008, 09:41 PM
wonder if the package was damaged .

Toragoi
09-08-2008, 10:16 AM
wonder if the package was damaged .

A week with no news can't be good news. :no:

Brutuscz
09-14-2008, 12:31 AM
I sold this one from blackwater creek this year. It was 4 inches. I am regreting not growing it out. Any good???

premster
09-14-2008, 01:46 AM
That looks to be a good one .

I was told they dont hold that nice green too well but I have seen a few who do.