PDA

View Full Version : Another Showa to view

afertuna
08-21-2008, 05:06 PM
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh81/afertuna/DSC04400.jpg

I am just learning on how to pick fish. Let me know what you guys think about this one. I couldnt resist when I saw him this year. He is @6-8" I think he may have some potential

Ethan25
08-21-2008, 05:16 PM
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh81/afertuna/DSC04400.jpg

I am just learning on how to pick fish. Let me know what you guys think about this one. I couldnt resist when I saw him this year. He is @6-8" I think he may have some potential

I think this fish may have been fed color enhancers....I had a sanke that had similar finnage...that yellowish/off-white tint, and after being in the pond for a year, it cleared up.

At first glance, one may say the beni/hi is weak, but I think it may have a look like that becuase of growth. It depends on what time of the year the picture was taken. Is this a recent picture?

afertuna
08-21-2008, 05:27 PM
The picture was taken on July 25th. Part of it was the fact that it was soooo sunny outside and I think with that one I had to click on the one fix button when I downloaded it. I do have to say its hi and sumi look better in person. I noticed the picture in the hi looks pinecone like I will see if i have the non-edited picture I can put on instead

koiman1950
08-21-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm afraid the beni on this fish is weak and as it grows, the hi plates will fall apart. Notice that you can see separation between many of the red scales at the back edge of the patterns? That's a sure giveaway. Also, Ethan is probably correct, fed color food to brighten it up so it could be sold, otherwise, the breeder should have culled it at the second or third culling.

Sorry, but I want to be honest here, and not give anyone "false hopes" when buying inexpensive small tosai that they will be worth growing and taking up pond space. If you're new to the hobby, I would suggest starting with some medium to medium-high grade fish with "some" potential for you to "learn" from. Otherwise, you won't get a proper education and you'll feel more disappointment than elation after a couple years.

Mike

lukef
08-21-2008, 08:48 PM
I'll give the understanding I have....
I have seen koi like this go either way. moreoften than not they loose all their hi
But then some simply gain more hi.
I do not feel as though this koi has been fed color-enhancing food; the skin is white and thin. if Color enhancing food had been given it would more than likely be pinkish.
if I had to GUESS i'd say it is loosing its hi. but since you own it, keep it.
I like it right now.

Hirogoi
08-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Beni looks weak, and this looks like a sanke not a showa.

lukef
08-21-2008, 10:11 PM
beni looks unstable...beni looks strong...too strong.
that is why I think it is unstable....
the color is in overdrive and will Probably burnout

afertuna
11-26-2009, 02:37 AM

here is an update of the fish. Like you said Ethan the yellow in the fins has cleared up.

six6guy
11-26-2009, 12:05 PM
I think it's a sanke. I do think its an interesting fish, just not my cup of tea is all.

Brad

afertuna
11-26-2009, 04:41 PM
yeah it is a sanke I just never changedthe title LOL

lukef
11-26-2009, 08:19 PM
well the color of the beni does look better now...I am still unsure of its future

afertuna
11-27-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks for all the comments. I dont know the future yet. I showed it this year and the Japanese judge that was at our show spent several minutes talking to me about it. He said that the hi is a concern with him. He was afraid that if I grow it up too fast it would thin out across the shoulder. He thinks that if I grow it out slowly and it will do great in class 5 and up and has a lot of potential. He also liked the pattern coming thru . I guess I just need to wait and see.
Allen