PDA

View Full Version : Baby kohaku

Skye
08-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Went out this evening as I always do to have one last check over of my pond and fish, and when I lifted the lid to check the skimmer basket, I found this baby kohaku swimming around inside, one of three kohakus that turned up in this spring's spawn. He's about four inches long. Grabbed a bowl and photographed him before I returned him to the pond. Excuse the algae in the bowl, I didn't want to stress him out any further by taking the time to clean it out.

He's a cute little bugger, not perfect, but I think he's not bad for an unplanned group spawn. These are the first really decent pictures I've managed to get of any of them.

The white parts of him are pure, but for some reason the algae or perhaps the lighting is giving him a slightly yellow cast.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh86/WhisperingWind56/Babykohaku2.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh86/WhisperingWind56/Babykohaku3.jpg

Sarge
08-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Looks to have a metalic sheen to it.

Midorigoi
08-17-2008, 12:37 AM
If in fact it is metallic, then its not a kohaku....drat I forget what they're called....

He's cute :yes: :clap:

Hirogoi
08-17-2008, 03:05 AM
Hariwake.

Skye
08-17-2008, 10:40 AM
Hmm, I don't see a metalic sheen when I look at it, but I'll be the first to admit I'm not an expert on the finer points of identifying colors. On the other hand, I had placed it under a florescent light to take the picture, as it was almost dusk outside. That might either make it look like it has a metalic sheen, or it might bring out the metalic sheet and make it more vivid. Not sure which.

Anyway, I thought it was kind of a cute kid.

kitfoxdrvr
08-19-2008, 04:44 PM
That is really red for a fish that size! Nice color.

lukef
08-19-2008, 04:51 PM
This fish has a raging metabolismit'll be interesting to see if the hi is coming or going...I don't think this is the final pattern.
the metallic sheen that Sarge sees is not in the fins and is therefore likely to be "quality" skin developing

goofyboutgoldfish
08-23-2008, 10:41 PM
Wow! What a nice little "surprise"! Nice bright color!:clap: