PDA

View Full Version : new bonsai...

Ethan25
08-11-2008, 01:40 PM
OK, not great pictures, but good enough to get an idea. Here's the pot I bought for it, as well as the tree. It's a ficus, and I think a nice one at that. It has a very pleasing shape....and once it acclimates, I will pot it in this pot. Picked it up on our trip to Stevens Point Wisconsin....

any thoughts?

stands over 20 inches tall.

Ethan

jonathan
08-11-2008, 02:16 PM
looks gooob but im not experinced

*Ci*
08-11-2008, 02:23 PM
I like the round pot it is sitting in, in the car pic, better :yes:

You do know that ficus is an indoor tree, I'm sure . . . be prepared for it to lose alot of leaves at first - they often do that after being moved to new lighting conditions. It may even look dead for a while! They are easy to train into bonsai shapes even with just trimming and no wiring.

This one will look great in a few years when the trunk thickens up!

Ethan25
08-11-2008, 02:42 PM

You do know that ficus is an indoor tree, I'm sure . . . be prepared for it to lose alot of leaves at first - they often do that after being moved to new lighting conditions. It may even look dead for a while! They are easy to train into bonsai shapes even with just trimming and no wiring.

I bought 3 pots around that same size, and one very small one, thinking I may try a mame bonsai on the back porch with a little juniper sapling I saw....

thanks! I have two other ficus here at the library I have been working with. Wish I had more time.

Retirement should come at teh beginning of life, and then we work ourselves to death.

Ethan25
08-12-2008, 11:49 AM
looks gooob but im not experinced

thanks man....

Ethan25
08-21-2008, 02:32 PM

Hey Diamondgirl! I put it in the round pot last night. I mixed some sand, topsoil, potting soil, and a bit of koiclay in a bowl and used it for my planting medium. I watered it with pondwater and let the excess dirt run out the bottom....should be good to go. I plan on bringing it to work to put along with my other bonsais.

Here it is... any thoughts?

Ethan25
10-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Dick, does this tree have good structure to work with?

also, I have a 8-10 inch Gum tree sapling in the front yard. How do those do with bonsai-ing?

dick benbow
10-21-2008, 04:11 PM
The method of growth lends itself to a style called "broom". It is not one of the most popular but still very much acceptable.
Since the tree itself is young, the length of the branches betrays it's youth.
It could be helped in the spring when it begins to wake up from the quiet of winter if the limbs were shortened. What this would do is emphasis more the diameter of the trunk in relationship to the limbs making it appear stronger
and more impressive. When you do this, it tells the tree to grow thickly and now you have to do some thinning of leaves so it stays healthy and "breaths" with no "dead spots".....