PDA

View Full Version : Big Culling Day

vipldy
08-10-2008, 12:23 AM
Since fall is coming quick we decided to cull the 300 gal. tank for the first time. The other 2 100 gal. tanks were done last week:rolleyes: I am so tired and my eyes hurt:rolleyes: Its funny when you cull and then look at your adult fish and say" Man you guys are big":D:

So here are some pics of the Ruby and Bling youngins:punk1: They even pose now:D:

Marie

Lori Jo
08-10-2008, 02:03 AM
I can't believe Ruby and Bling started out that small. It is amazing and how on earth do you cull so young? I get why your eyes are killing you!

vipldy
08-10-2008, 02:17 AM
I can't believe Ruby and Bling started out that small. It is amazing and how on earth do you cull so young? I get why your eyes are killing you!

I culled deformed and super small ones that were just not growing. I had to get the number of fry down to see what I have if anything good and give them a chance to grow larger so I can cull again:rolleyes: :eek1: It's not a fun job:no: I culled all day and tonight with a flood light on:rolleyes:

Marie

Kat
08-10-2008, 08:39 AM
So many nice looking babies & lots of work! What did you do with the culls?

vipldy
08-10-2008, 11:04 AM
So many nice looking babies & lots of work! What did you do with the culls?

The culls are in the gardens..I am sure there are more to cull but not today:no:

Marie

powerman
08-10-2008, 11:08 AM
you probably need to plant some mango trees:eek1:

Rudy
08-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Fun times HUH Marie? :D: That'll teach ya to save 'em.

Hey, I'm not any kind of expert here but thinking I read or heard that it's not necessarily the smaller ones that need to be culled at first but the Tobie or larger ones that may be eating your nicer slower growing ones.

Maybe you already checked on that but I thought I'd share my brain fart with you. :eek1: ;)

BTW ... will we be honored by your presence at the show this year?

vipldy
08-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Fun times HUH Marie? :D: That'll teach ya to save 'em.

Hey, I'm not any kind of expert here but thinking I read or heard that it's not necessarily the smaller ones that need to be culled at first but the Tobie or larger ones that may be eating your nicer slower growing ones.

Maybe you already checked on that but I thought I'd share my brain fart with you. :eek1: ;)

BTW ... will we be honored by your presence at the show this year?

I can't save them all:no: The small ones were dinky and not growing:no: There are three tubs of fry out there:eek1: I am not culling for any GC just seeing what we will devolpe..NEVER AGAIN will I do this:D: I moved the tobie's in their own tub:yes:

Marie

Rudy
08-10-2008, 12:54 PM
I can't save them all:no: The small ones were dinky and not growing:no: There are three tubs of fry out there:eek1: I am not culling for any GC just seeing what we will devolpe..NEVER AGAIN will I do this:D: I moved the tobie's in their own tub:yes:

Marie

:faint:

Donaldbyrd
08-10-2008, 10:49 PM
marie they are looking really cute....

vipldy
08-10-2008, 11:06 PM
marie they are looking really cute....

You should see some of them:yes: I went and culled a bit more today out of another tank:rolleyes: and there is this beautiful black fry, 1+" and great little body:yes: I think I also have seen baby ginrin chagoi's:yes: They kind of sparkle..

Marie

jadigger
08-11-2008, 01:31 PM
:faint: :faint: Ya der cute,let's do it again:rolleyes:
JJ:harhar:

Midorigoi
08-11-2008, 04:59 PM
There are soo many of them!!! How did you even get through half of them???
They are swarming :eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

gomezbenz
08-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Looks like lots of work. The one time I had to cull fry it was painful making decisions that meant some of the fish were going to be fertilizer.

Great photos! Keep updating.

vipldy
08-11-2008, 07:58 PM
There are soo many of them!!! How did you even get through half of them???
They are swarming :eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

We drained the tanks down and had to net ALL of them in there:rolleyes: What a pain..By the time you go threw half you really don't have as much heart as you did in the beginning:rolleyes: You say "there are so many of them", those pics are what we have left:eek1: :D:

Here are some culling pics..The 3rd one is a new fry setup:yes: 2 tanks now have real filters:clap:

Marie

jhamil4ton
08-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Terrific thread....Looks like you are going to be having fun for quite some time.:rolleyes:

Midorigoi
08-11-2008, 08:24 PM
The tanks look really nice, bet the fry enjoy all those water plants :yes: I hope some of the fry are chagoi :D:

vipldy
08-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Terrific thread....Looks like you are going to be having fun for quite some time.:rolleyes:

REAL busy is putting it lightly:rolleyes:

The tanks look really nice, bet the fry enjoy all those water plants :yes: I hope some of the fry are chagoi :D:

I have chagoi:yes: and the kohaku's have some pattern:punk1: :clap: I have some really cool black/bronze ones I hope are Orchiba(sp?):yes:

Limpet
08-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Hang in there kiddo, when I did my spawning project, I had a lot less then you only 90 that I started with.
I am down to 6 left that I kept. And 2 of them only to keep a QT running.

vipldy
08-11-2008, 10:27 PM
One of the frys setup:yes: This one has no over flow so water changes are needed..Over flows are soooo nice for that reason:yes:

Marie

Midorigoi
08-11-2008, 10:42 PM
OMG that is beautiful! Did you just build that? What are you doing to keep the water so clear? Its amazing :clap: :clap: :bow: :cool:

vipldy
08-11-2008, 11:39 PM
OMG that is beautiful! Did you just build that? What are you doing to keep the water so clear? Its amazing :clap: :clap: :bow: :cool:

Yea we stuck it in the ground:D: The water is clear for now but I am sure the green water will come:rolleyes: They have a small filter and plants and that helps keep the water in good shape..

Marie

stephen
08-12-2008, 12:04 AM
:cool: :cheer: :yes: :punk1: :clap: :clap:

gray cat
08-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Nice tank Marie.:yes:

vipldy
08-12-2008, 12:18 AM
Ruby and part of Bling today:yes: The happy parents:rolleyes: Ruby is still growing:eek1:

Marie

Here is a better pic of Bling today:yes:

Midorigoi
08-12-2008, 12:30 AM
Bling is amazing!!!! :clap: :clap:

vipldy
08-12-2008, 12:35 AM
Bling is amazing!!!! :clap: :clap:
Here ya go more Bling:D:

Marie

Midorigoi
08-12-2008, 12:42 AM
That...is one....BIG fish!!1 :eek1:
Sooo pretty and sparkly....if I had to pick a favorite koi type chagoi would be at the top of the list. Their personality is amazing :yes:
Bling is THE most awesome gr chagoi I've ever seen!! :clap:

floatinflowers
08-14-2008, 09:32 PM
My problem is that I have a hard time throwing them out. I have to wait longer to cull, they change from week to week.

vipldy
08-14-2008, 09:37 PM
My problem is that I have a hard time throwing them out. I have to wait longer to cull, they change from week to week.
Its not fun but if you know the parents then you kinda know what you are looking for in the fry. I took pics of the spawn so I knew who the parents were and I go from there..Also, your deformed ones, and REAL tiny not growing would be culled first..

Marie

Prelude
08-14-2008, 10:19 PM
My goodness, they are so cute. How can you cull any?? Especially if they are going to look like Mom and Dad :)

vipldy
08-14-2008, 10:24 PM
My goodness, they are so cute. How can you cull any?? Especially if they are going to look like Mom and Dad :)

Koi breed different than dogs and cats in that they can throw off fry that look nothing like the parents..If I don't cull the weaker ones I am not giving the more promising ones a chance to grow and develop. The fry need all the room I can give them and unfortunately I don't have a mud pond so I do the best I can.

Marie

Prelude
08-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Hmmm, I guess it's harder to get those color lines than I thought.

vipldy
08-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Hmmm, I guess it's harder to get those color lines than I thought.

Good blood lines are $$$$$..This is a learning experience for me:yes:

Marie

floatinflowers
08-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Yes, it is hard. I have dragon long fins and one of the females is all orange and the others are black and orange, so you can imagine the colors I get from this group. I can cull the deformed ones, but the small ones grow pretty fast the next spring when I put them ouside. They do stay small if you raise them in an aquarium. I enjoyed hatching the fry in a little 3 gallon aquarium, but they didnt really grow too much until they went out to the big rearing ponds. Those are 8 feet long, 4 feet wide and 2 feet deep. They are made with 2x6's,with metal corners and rubber liners. My basement is full of Koi in the winter, I can see why people like to leave them out for the winter. But I live in MN. and it gets pretty cold here. Last winter I had over 800 koi in my basement. But I cant afford to lose any, so far I havent seen any like these around. I have sold a few, but just the ones with short fins. The rest I am keeping for breeding and selling later when they get bigger.

wputnam
08-18-2008, 02:37 AM
How much for pick of the liter?

vipldy
08-18-2008, 11:51 AM
How much for pick of the liter?

:D:

kitfoxdrvr
08-19-2008, 04:37 PM
I'll trade you another shirt for a few of the baby chags!

You are right about the not looking like their parents thing; I had two spawns this year and the young look like they came from a thousand different parents! Some are up to 4 inches and I see several varieties that I am at a loss to figure the parentage. Weird. They are now fighting the "big dogs" for pellets, pretty amazing to watch how competitive they are at such a small size.

Steve

Steve

vipldy
08-19-2008, 04:44 PM
I'll trade you another shirt for a few of the baby chags!

You are right about the not looking like their parents thing; I had two spawns this year and the young look like they came from a thousand different parents! Some are up to 4 inches and I see several varieties that I am at a loss to figure the parentage. Weird. They are now fighting the "big dogs" for pellets, pretty amazing to watch how competitive they are at such a small size.

Steve

Steve

I have some that are VERY VERY dark chags..I guess those are not the "good ones" but I want to see them a bit bigger before I cull them. I can't see ginrin yet but I looking:rolleyes: :D:

Marie

kitfoxdrvr
08-19-2008, 04:59 PM
I have some that are VERY VERY dark chags..I guess those are not the "good ones" but I want to see them a bit bigger before I cull them. I can't see ginrin yet but I looking:rolleyes: :D:

Marie

I'll be watching!

Steve

vipldy
08-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Yesterday I culled pretty many out again. The solids and deformed ones. As they get bigger its easy to see the patterns and defects..Some of culls were getting pretty big but had issues or were just not what I was looking for from the spawn.

Marie

vipldy
09-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Need to cull again but its getting harder..

Marie

Kat
09-08-2008, 08:30 AM
Wow! Lots of work & such pretty fry.

kitfoxdrvr
09-08-2008, 09:08 AM
What size are they up to, Marie?

vipldy
09-08-2008, 10:44 AM
What size are they up to, Marie?

1.5" to 2-3"..Their waters have cooled so growing has slowed.

Donaldbyrd
09-08-2008, 07:31 PM
yep looks like lots of work

sundan
09-08-2008, 07:49 PM
now you have a better understanding what it takes to cull and cull and cull to get the quality koi. Its a long process. Some people do not know how much is involved to get tosai to a stage that is ready to sell. Good luck. Cheers.

vipldy
09-08-2008, 09:38 PM
now you have a better understanding what it takes to cull and cull and cull to get the quality koi. Its a long process. Some people do not know how much is involved to get tosai to a stage that is ready to sell. Good luck. Cheers.

Its a ton of work thats for sure. This is not the best looking fry herd but they are mine:D: If I can get a few decent Kohaku's and a few Chagoi out of this I will be happy and retire:rolleyes:

Marie

Carmen
09-09-2008, 02:42 AM
The large dark green one in the last picture, is that a chagoi?
Carmen

vipldy
09-09-2008, 10:28 AM
The large dark green one in the last picture, is that a chagoi?
Carmen

I believe it is:yes: Most of the darker ones are chagoi but there are some lighter ones as well..

Marie

Limpet
09-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Your doing a fine job Marie, I know its hard to get rid of some and it will get even harder as you go.
You have some interesting ones in there.

vipldy
09-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Your doing a fine job Marie, I know its hard to get rid of some and it will get even harder as you go.
You have some interesting ones in there.
Thanks Rick! I think they are kinda cute but then I am bias:D:

Marie

Ph1ngering
09-24-2008, 09:50 AM
I don't envy that job.. Just curious if most people try to sell or hand off the babies before Culling.. Pet stores, ebay, ect.. Just curious, either way its got to be a huge hassle..

--Craig

vipldy
09-24-2008, 11:16 AM
I don't envy that job.. Just curious if most people try to sell or hand off the babies before Culling.. Pet stores, ebay, ect.. Just curious, either way its got to be a huge hassle..

--Craig

We are putting down our culls..Not a fun job but we have to do it.

dick benbow
09-24-2008, 03:29 PM
:)

kgt1223
09-24-2008, 06:18 PM
:yes: :yes: :yes:

Great job Marie. Thats the way to do it!