PDA

View Full Version : mother nature wins again...

db reddragonfly
08-03-2008, 10:30 PM
This year I saved about 200 fry from the only spawn this season.One month ago today. I put most of them in a stock tank with monitored water quality,air, and feedings through out the day. I threw about 6 in a lily tub,(I had collected enough!) No air, and no clue what the water quality was. I do know there was alot of Daphna in the tub. Here is the back yard spawn results. The ones in the lily tub were all consistent in size.Much larger, healthier,(for now)and better color than the the ones I had been trying to feed brine,fish food,natural Daphna,and some algae. The two smaller ones are about the averge size of the ones that I had been feeding. The larger one is the avaerage size of the few in the lily tub. As of today All of them will be living the rest of the summer in the lily pond in the front yard. Then I will see what is left. usually not much.They are just mutts but are fun to watch.

NaturesCall
08-03-2008, 10:57 PM
I agree, they are fun to watch.. Enjoy them while they are young...they grow up fast. :)

Midorigoi
08-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Are they goldfish or koi fry? Look like goldies from the pic. OOoo the one in the 1st pic is a very vibrant orange. Pretty!

vipldy
08-04-2008, 12:43 AM
This year I saved about 200 fry from the only spawn this season.One month ago today. I put most of them in a stock tank with monitored water quality,air, and feedings through out the day. I threw about 6 in a lily tub,(I had collected enough!) No air, and no clue what the water quality was. I do know there was alot of Daphna in the tub. Here is the back yard spawn results. The ones in the lily tub were all consistent in size.Much larger, healthier,(for now)and better color than the the ones I had been trying to feed brine,fish food,natural Daphna,and some algae. The two smaller ones are about the averge size of the ones that I had been feeding. The larger one is the avaerage size of the few in the lily tub. As of today All of them will be living the rest of the summer in the lily pond in the front yard. Then I will see what is left. usually not much.They are just mutts but are fun to watch.

I have some Toby's in lily pots and other fry and I agree they are larger. No air,filter etc. Amazing:yes: Mine are a month old to:yes:

Kat
08-04-2008, 09:23 AM
It really is amazing what the difference can be between fry added to a small pot compared to the well cared for growout tank.