PDA

View Full Version : Culling Methods

vipldy
08-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Tell or show me your culling methods..We have to cull some of the fry and need buckets or what?They are in stock tanks and I don't want to break them getting them out:rolleyes: I also can't find that small wooden handled thing to scoop the fry with once there in a bowl or whatever..

Marie

lukef
08-01-2008, 09:36 PM
honey do you read this blog?
If not you will now.
http://yamakoshi.blogspot.com/
I can't remember if you have to sign up but it is absolutley worth it and does not cost a thing

YOUR WELCOME!

Sadia
08-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Tell or show me your culling methods..We have to cull some of the fry and need buckets or what?They are in stock tanks and I don't want to break them getting them out:rolleyes: I also can't find that small wooden handled thing to scoop the fry with once there in a bowl or whatever..

Marie

Marie maybe one of those wooden handled asian noodle thingies with some soft netting wrapped around it?? :confused:

vipldy
08-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Marie maybe one of those wooden handled asian noodle thingies with some soft netting wrapped around it?? :confused:
Yes I need to find one:eek1:

vipldy
08-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Here are some pics I found:yes:

vipldy
08-01-2008, 11:37 PM
honey do you read this blog?
If not you will now.
http://yamakoshi.blogspot.com/
I can't remember if you have to sign up but it is absolutley worth it and does not cost a thing

YOUR WELCOME!

AWESOME Luke:punk1: Do you have a link of very young fry and their just emerging colors? Thanks for the link:clap: :punk1: :cool:

Marie

lukef
08-02-2008, 12:23 AM
you can go back into his blog and look around ..BTW if you click on any of his pics they enlarge
I saw some fry pics in his posts.... but where?

Shorty
08-02-2008, 12:26 PM

I have more info, pictures, and a short video clip on my web page:
http://www.shortypen.com/projects/pond/culling/index.htm

I just went about learning how to cull the hard way, tried a bunch of different ideas that all proved very labor intensive and slow. Finally tripped over a super simple solution -- a laundry sorter, think it came from Walmart.

The other two tools that work great are a shallow bucket with a bunch of holes, and one of those nifty japanese sorting nets -- I made my own.

Found out the hard way that you need to sort fry every week, or every other week, otherwise the tobies will gobble up tons of their brothers and sisters.

vipldy
08-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Well I have decided that I don't want to be a breeder:no: We didn't get threw the first tank:eek1: They are small and it is hard work:rolleyes: We culled a fair amount out of the ones we went threw and bought a preform tank and put the keepers in there:rolleyes: Anymore tank,tubs I will need a permit :D:

Marie

lukef
08-02-2008, 10:58 PM
I've culled 7000 on a good day

vipldy
08-03-2008, 01:00 AM
I've culled 7000 on a good day

Wow:eek1: I have no idea at 4 weeks old what to keep since they are so small. We don't have the right gadgets to sort them out so PITA right now.

vipldy
08-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Gonna get the rest of the 1 tank today:yes:

Marie