PDA

View Full Version : Liming

Mikeyzr
07-22-2008, 10:53 PM
When you folks lime your mud pond(s), do you do this each year and disperse the lime into the bottom of the mud when they are drained down or just sprinkle it in the water throughout the season as needed?

I'm excavating mine out next week and have new sodium bentonite to seal the pond with. I'd then like to lime it but not sure the best way to do this with a new pond.

I do have plenty of BS, epsom salt and calcium chloride too. My purpose in adding lime would be for buffering.

Thanks
Mike

Griff Thomasson
07-23-2008, 06:57 PM
Lime it before you let it fill if possible. Get soil sample to extension service and they will tell you how much to use !!
I have done both . Added it while dry and also broadcast over surface of water !
If possible apply lime and till into soil in pond bottom ! If not apply lime .
LIME LIME LIME LIME -----
It has taken 2000, lbs to get my mud pond to a GH level of 90 PPM GH ----Rock solid PH

Mikeyzr
07-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Thanks Griff. I have to till in some bentonite anyway so I can add the lime with that and till the works in.

My crew is so happy playing in the mud right now...I can't wait to get it a few feet deeper and with some new mud. Pics to follow in a couple weeks when the project is under way.

Mike

Griff Thomasson
07-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi Mike
How big is planned pond ? How deep ? Water source?
Griff

Mikeyzr
07-24-2008, 12:47 AM
Well, by others descriptions of their real mud ponds, this may be more of a mud mini pond.

I'm not sure on the exactly yet, but somewhere about 36L X 24W X 7D
Had to go deep due to the harsh MN winters. Water source is from a sand point well several hundred feet from the pond. The pond is already there but needs to be deeper and I may go a touch larger if I have the room. The previous owners just filled it up with water but I lose much of it as there is a very low clay content where the pond is.

I'll start a new thread on the particulars when the re-dig starts.

Mike

Griff Thomasson
07-24-2008, 02:48 AM
Ok - Tell me what your KH and gh readings are from your well point ?
Does pond receive any run off ?

Mikeyzr
07-24-2008, 03:13 AM
I'm redoing the point this year but last year my GH was at 60ppm and KH was at 50ppm. The pond does get some runoff, but only in the spring when the snow is melting or we get really heavy rains. I live in a low area and I'm very close to the water table. A neighbor a half mile down the road hit a spring when digging his pond.

Mike

Griff Thomasson
07-25-2008, 06:34 AM
Great source water . Small pond like that till in about a 100 lbs of lime into soil .With your source water you should be in good shape !