PDA

View Full Version : Spawn Questions

Precision Ponds
07-15-2008, 07:43 PM
Ok I am going to attempt my first spawn raising (If I get a spawn this year)
I am aware that water temp is the key to triggering the spawn but is that Surface temp or overall pond temp? I ask this because my temps are drastically different Surface temp is about 70 to 72 where as the bottom temp is about 64 to 66. I have yet to notice any spawning rituals (Other then comets , Goldfish, my Koi show no sign of a spawn yet. I am in SE PA so I expect the spawn to happen in late July early August.

I have my fry tank (10 ft round) intex pool I will establish the vegitation, Algee and filtration when the first sign of a spawn occurs. I have 2 ogons that I wish to breed and I was thinking of isolating them this weekend in the fry tank to see if I can induce a spawn from them but I am not sure I want to do that. The 2 I wish to breed are a Orenji Ogon (female) and a Platinum Ogon Male)

My last question is anyone from SE PA experience a spawn yet?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to all of the help you will supply

Hirogoi
07-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Warm water is a big thing. My guess is it would be surface temp since koi tend to spawn naturally in shallow water.

tyco4357
07-15-2008, 10:14 PM
You are in the right temperature range on surface...between 68-74. If my memory serves me I believe there needs to be about a 10 degree difference in the air. They can start spawning late night 12-1 am and go all morning till 10 or may start at dawn. some people say it usually happens around a full moon so they get ready a few day before. Hope this was some kind of help. Good luck

vipldy
07-16-2008, 12:23 AM
We put our brushes back in:rolleyes: and did a large water change today:yes:

Marie

Precision Ponds
07-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Thank You for the responses.....If I am right a full moon is coming real soon (I will have to check).......I have about a 20 degree difference for the next week inbetween now and early next week. Suppose to be in the mid 90's so I will put them in the breeding tank like I planned. I will add the brushes and back wash valve tonight. Thanks again I will let you know how I make out