PDA

View Full Version : koi spawn

kwickcut
07-10-2008, 11:56 PM
i have a few questions.

1 do koi spawn all at once or do it over a few days.

2 how long does it take for the new koi to show color.

3 what should we be feeding the fry

about 2 weeks ago we found four small koi in our temp pond. we removed them and placed them into a small aquarium with pond water and an air stone. these koi are about 3/4 yo 1" big now.

3 days after we removed the small koi our guys spawned again thousands of eggs all over. we were able to remove some but not all. now we have about 50 fry that are about 1/4 long

have been doing water changed from the main pond and using it to supply the small tanks that now house the fry ooo and so you know there are 2 tanks one for the 4 bigger fry and one for the 50 or so fry.

we have been feeding all the fry Daphnia and some small flake food for fry

thanks for any input

kwick

vipldy
07-11-2008, 12:40 AM
i have a few questions.

1 do koi spawn all at once or do it over a few days.

2 how long does it take for the new koi to show color.

3 what should we be feeding the fry

about 2 weeks ago we found four small koi in our temp pond. we removed them and placed them into a small aquarium with pond water and an air stone. these koi are about 3/4 yo 1" big now.

3 days after we removed the small koi our guys spawned again thousands of eggs all over. we were able to remove some but not all. now we have about 50 fry that are about 1/4 long

have been doing water changed from the main pond and using it to supply the small tanks that now house the fry ooo and so you know there are 2 tanks one for the 4 bigger fry and one for the 50 or so fry.

we have been feeding all the fry Daphnia and some small flake food for fry

thanks for any input

kwick

We also have just over a week old fry and are feeding them , live baby brine shrimp we hatch, frozen baby brine shrimp and a powder called first bites. You are doing good just make sure you really crumble up the flakes..

Koi can spawn for a few days and more if you have more than 1 female and eager males. My male is worn out:D: Mine have color already but will change as they grow.

Marie

Hirogoi
07-11-2008, 01:22 AM
My spawns just happened about a week ago, and that was five females to one male. He was worn out, but finished in two days. Seeing as I live in a very hippie town, I'm feeding my babies hippie food. They're getting a mix of spirulina, rice protein, frozen brine shrimp, and lot of live mosquito larvae.