PDA

View Full Version : We have babies

wtknght
06-29-2008, 01:13 PM
We have had our pond for just over a year now. it is approximately 1500 gallons. We started with two butterfly koi about 6 inches long. these two koi have grown to over 13 inches in the last year. two others we added have growm from about 6 inches to close to 14 inches now. Along with 6 other koi and 4 black moores we have noticed in the last few weeks that we have a couple dozen baibes that we have been able to account for. The babies range from 1/4 inch to over an inch in length. Last year we sis have several goldfish in the pond with them. The goldfish were removed before spring when the pond was drained cleaned and refilled. My question is. Can anyone determine whether these new fish are koi or goldfish? I have attached pics I took on 29 June.

Noahsnana
06-29-2008, 03:09 PM
You'll know if they are mules... they are ugly

tyco4357
06-29-2008, 05:59 PM
If you get a magnifying glass you should be able to see little wiskers on the koi and they also move very fast. Faster then comets. You might have some mix in there, I call koimets. These are sterile and not nice looking fish. Usually the head is weird shaped but they are usuallly pretty strong fish. The fins are different on the koi and they move them differently. Magnifying glass is your best bet.

wtknght
07-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Thanks I will have to keep a close eye on them over the next few weeks. Probably going to have to do some culling as soon as they get big enough to determine exactly what I have.