PDA

View Full Version : How are your SU growouts doing so far?

ponderingkoi
06-04-2008, 01:31 PM
I picked up my SU grow out on May 10th, so it's been about a month so far in QT. I let it rest for the first week or so with a buddy, then did a shotgun Proform C and Prazi protocol treatment. This is the first time I've had the QT outside and we had some very cool nights. I am running two large aquarium heaters in it, but on a few nights the water temp dipped below my target of 72 degrees. I had some concerns that I might not catch the life cycle of some parasites. After 7 days, I did a scrape and scope, and sure enough, found a skin fluke very much alive. I also noticed at this time, a small reddish spot that was irritated on it's side an inch behind it's gill. Unfortunately, I didn't have the meds needed to treat that at the same time. I had to recatch, and sedate the fish the next day (yesterday) and I treated it with hydrogen peroxide, betadine solution and denture powder adhesive. I also am retreating the QT with the Proform C and Prazi (Prazi kicker modification) to kill off any parasites the last round didn't get. This time the temps are staying in the 70-75 degree range so I hope to catch the entire parasite life cycle. How are everyone else's SU's doing so far? I am excited to watch this one develop. I know it's had a long journey to get here and I'm not surprised it needs a little extra care at this point. How long are you all going to QT your SU's? Have you administered any meds, scoped?

JoesPonds.com
06-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Ours are still doing well. Will be in QT for at least another week before moving on to our growout pond...where they'll remain for the next year.

ponderingkoi
06-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Ours are still doing well. Will be in QT for at least another week before moving on to our growout pond...where they'll remain for the next year.

Do you scrape and scope them? Do you routinely administer any meds in QT?

Ellie
06-04-2008, 01:48 PM
I haven't scraped and scoped yet. I did a prazi treatment the day after they arrived simply because of the funky scale on one of the others. I'm giving the prazi a full 7 days before I do another water change. The SU is looking really good, finally started eating, but I had to use sinking flake food to get him/her to start eating. He/She is very shy but is already putting on some weight.

JoesPonds.com
06-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Do you scrape and scope them? Do you routinely administer any meds in QT?

Yes, we scaped and scoped them -- took a while too since we purchased quite a few. We also utilized a shotgun approach in QT...

ponderingkoi
06-04-2008, 01:58 PM
I haven't scraped and scoped yet. I did a prazi treatment the day after they arrived simply because of the funky scale on one of the others. I'm giving the prazi a full 7 days before I do another water change. The SU is looking really good, finally started eating, but I had to use sinking flake food to get him/her to start eating. He/She is very shy but is already putting on some weight.

Mine too! I don't think mine was used to coming up for food for some reason. The SU is in QT with a larger new koi I also got from Sugarbush the same day and that one comes up to the surface to eat, but I don't usually see the little SU eating at the surface....though it comes up and swims around all over next to the big one. I'm hoping the big one doesn't eat all the food before the little guy/gal gets the nerve to eat too. I've put some shrimp pieces in there in case it was more accustomed to sinking pellets. Wonder if I should purchase some sinking pellets. I have a cover over half of the QT so I can't see either of them eating much anyway.

Carl
06-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Mine too! I don't think mine was used to coming up for food for some reason. The SU is in QT with a larger new koi I also got from Sugarbush the same day and that one comes up to the surface to eat, but I don't usually see the little SU eating at the surface....though it comes up and swims around all over next to the big one. I'm hoping the big one doesn't eat all the food before the little guy/gal gets the nerve to eat too. I've put some shrimp pieces in there in case it was more accustomed to sinking pellets. Wonder if I should purchase some sinking pellets. I have a cover over half of the QT so I can't see either of them eating much anyway.

My growout su's and sanke are eating floating pellets with great gusto. :yes:

ponderingkoi
06-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Maybe mine is too, just can't see him do it. The big one comes up right away and starts chowing. The SU follows him up but I haven't actually seen him eat a pellet. But maybe he's eating the pellets under the covered part where I can't see him do it. ?? Hmmm....

Carl
06-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Maybe mine is too, just can't see him do it. The big one comes up right away and starts chowing. The SU follows him up but I haven't actually seen him eat a pellet. But maybe he's eating the pellets under the covered part where I can't see him do it. ?? Hmmm....

Could be. Try to spread the pellets out in the water so the slower fish have a chance.

koiaddict
06-04-2008, 02:29 PM
No shotgun treatments, no scrape & scope.

They are in our QT with a few others and are growing like weeds. They are the brave, the strong, the few.. lol

I will scrape & scope when our pond is completed prior to adding them to a new group. ALL FISH will be scraped & scoped prior to pond entrance to ensure treatment in a smaller body of water.

Otherwise no problems here. We did slow down on the feeding during the week. Our bio in a single barrel (tons of media in it) has caught up nicely to the additions... gin clear water.

Just Jessie
06-04-2008, 02:35 PM
I sitll have Mary's with mine. Scraped and scoped them all, nothing showed. They were spooky at first but are getting friendly and close to hand feeding. They are of course still in QT, but are growing fast. When Mary comes to get hers we will bowl and take good pics of them. In my limited experience I would have to say they are very nice fish.

steveamy
06-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Took a few days but they now come up to the net when I walk up. May keep them in there for 2 more weeks. They are heartily eating everything that I put in there. Haven't notice any real gains in size though. I will measure again before placing them in the big pool.

vipldy
06-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Make sure before you take them out of QT you put in a ghost koi for a week or so..I am glad I did because I did have some issues.

Marie

ponderingkoi
06-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Make sure before you take them out of QT you put in a ghost koi for a week or so..I am glad I did because I did have some issues.

Marie

Can you elaborate Marie? What issues did you have?

Joey S
06-04-2008, 03:36 PM
I was a group shipper so we had 25 in temp quarters in the garage. I did a scrape and didn't find anything. I don't usually shotgun in QT. I guess I trust my scoping ability. Mine are now in the QT and doing fine. I will keep them there quite awhile so they can grow. No sense in putting them in with the big guys and trying to compete for food. This way everyone is happy.

vipldy
06-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Can you elaborate Marie? What issues did you have?

Well about 5 days after receiving the SU my ghost herd which I have had for a year started getting sick. Laying on the bottom and clamped. When we netted the fish her slime coat was kinda dry..We did a scrape and scope and found what appeared to be Costia. Then another one of the ghost koi started laying on the bottom and clamped and we netted and scraped again and also the slime coat was a bit dry as well. We hit them hard with Formalin and they seem much better..The SU's never got sick:confused: Even though Matt had treated the fish before shipping the costia can lay encysted and live through the treatment and then my fish got sick.

Marie

Billy
06-04-2008, 03:49 PM
I just received them last Friday and both the sanke's and SU are doing great.
I am feeding them 3 times a day. The 700gallon q tank and easy pod are doing great. I will start the Proform C tomorrow and then the Prazi treatment.

Ryan S.
06-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Mine have been in main pond for a while, happy and chilling out. Down to my last 3 ziplock bags of Blackwater Gold from the 40 lb bag.

Noahsnana
06-04-2008, 03:54 PM
mine are healthy and doing well

LilHoover
06-04-2008, 04:30 PM
My SU and Sanke are doing well and eating aggresively. They've both gained some width--they were skinny when they got here. I am thinking about waiting at minimum another two months before they go from QT to the pond because the weather has not been warm. The pond has been around 68F consistantly both morning and evening.

The Sanke is very brave, does the kissy-kissy thing when I go out to feed them. The SU gets his share, though. We sure are enjoying the little guys.

BekkoIsTheBest
06-04-2008, 04:40 PM
My growout su's and sanke are eating floating pellets with great gusto. :yes:

Same!

GloriaL
06-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Mine are still not here yet:no: Should come in tomorrow.

ponderingkoi
06-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Marie,
Did you scrape the SU and not find anything on them? I've heard that for some reason, certain koi seem to be more prone to certain parasites, but it doesn't make sense to me. I don't understand why the SU's are fine and your other koi got sick.

vipldy
06-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Marie,
Did you scrape the SU and not find anything on them? I've heard that for some reason, certain koi seem to be more prone to certain parasites, but it doesn't make sense to me. I don't understand why the SU's are fine and your other koi got sick.

We did not scrape the SU's..The ghost fish's would have died for sure if we didn't act quick and hit them hard!!!!! I know Matt said he had found some Costia on the SU's but had treated and said they were clean! They must have encysted and hit my ghost fish..

Ryan S.
06-04-2008, 09:20 PM
They must have encysted and hit my ghost fish..

Thats a big assumption to make. Statistically it was probaby already in the system is more logical. The incomming fish should have been under more stress from number of fish at dealer faclity and the handling and shipping process, but the other fish were obviously weaker.

vipldy
06-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Thats a big assumption to make. Statistically it was probaby already in the system is more logical. The incomming fish should have been under more stress from number of fish at dealer faclity and the handling and shipping process, but the other fish were obviously weaker.

My fish(ghost) were fine and we had them a year. Before The SU's came we moved 1 other fish from the QT to another to make more room for the SU's and that fish and that herd is fine. Now why all of a sudden do my ghost fish get sick 5 days after the SU's are brought in?

six6guy
06-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Sorry to hear your having issues Marie.

Mine are going just great, including canaries. I do light feeding of Blackwater Gold in the QT. This is the 3rd week but 1st week at 84F and looking good. Another week at mid 80s and then another scrape and scope, that will be their 3rd. After that I turn the heater down a couple degrees per day until at pond temp. Another week and a half and I'll transfer to my main pond.

I haven't seen a thing on all the slides, and there are plenty. I have 12 Koi in the QT right now. I haven't seen any flashing, everybody has good slime coats, and everybody is right there for feeding.

I did raise the salt level to .10% to help reduce over crowding stress some, but that was it. I also have some color fading because my garage QT is too dark, but my experience has been that it comes back with time.

Brad

vipldy
06-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Sorry to hear your having issues Marie.

Mine are going just great, including canaries. I do light feeding of Blackwater Gold in the QT. This is the 3rd week but 1st week at 84F and looking good. Another week at mid 80s and then another scrape and scope, that will be their 3rd. After that I turn the heater down a couple degrees per day until at pond temp. Another week and a half and I'll transfer to my main pond.

I haven't seen a thing on all the slides, and there are plenty. I have 12 Koi in the QT right now. I haven't seen any flashing, everybody has good slime coats, and everybody is right there for feeding.

I did raise the salt level to .10% to help reduce over crowding stress some, but that was it. I also have some color fading because my garage QT is too dark, but my experience has been that it comes back with time.

Brad

Great news!!! My fish are better BTW:clap:

Marie

six6guy
06-04-2008, 10:14 PM

Marie

Good news indeed! :clap:

Brad

koitoo
06-04-2008, 10:39 PM
Mine is in the main pond today. Here are some pics. They are very brave. They fight with the big girls and boys for the food. One is missing. He is the shyest one and he is playing hide and seek. He is also the smallest one. I hope he is eating well. I hope the SU's will be as big as my Bekko in the last pic.

ponderingkoi
06-04-2008, 10:42 PM
That last photo is awesome! In the big pond already?

koitoo
06-04-2008, 10:48 PM
That last photo is awesome! In the big pond already?

Yeah! I QTed them for 3 weeks and they seem healthy. I usually do a 6-week regiment, but I need room for the showa growout. There is a canary in the QT from my main pond and he seems fine for 3 weeks with the SUs.

ponderingkoi
06-04-2008, 10:51 PM
You just use a canary? No scrape & scope? No shotgun meds? I guess I'm too scientific...I need to see numbers & facts before I'm satisfied that they're ready. I'm jealous actually.

RichToyBox
06-04-2008, 10:52 PM
My shiro has been rather reticent, hiding from view most of the time, though starting to come out and play with the sanke and two canaries. The sanke has been outgoing nearly from the first and tonight came over and ate out of my hand. Everyone seems fine, and I hope stay that way.

vipldy
06-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Ok maybe I am wrong and my fish had something and the stress of the new fish brought it on. All I know is Matt is a great dealer and cares very much about his fish. All the SU's were scraped and givin a clean bill of health before they left his place! I think all parasites are on fish at one time or another.

Marie

ponderingkoi
06-04-2008, 10:55 PM
So true! I just want mine squeaky clean when they go into the pond. :D:

koitoo
06-04-2008, 10:56 PM
No, the only thing I didn't do is scrape and scope. I did the shotgun meds and they were in 0.4% salt after treatments for some time since one of the SU's got a bruise from shipping. I actually QT'ed them for 4 weeks. I was the first one to get my SUs. Matt used me as a guinea pig for his new shipping packaging.

Rudy
06-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Both the su's and both sanke's are doing well.
Happy in QT and eating well. Getting friendly for food and that's it.
Colors sharp and crisp with some growth becoming noticeable. :thumb:

There has been nothing done to them other than let them get accustom to their new surroundings and each other. At first su schooled with su and sanke with sanke, now a big happy family of 4 little sheetz. :D:

They will remain in QT for a few months at the very least and no treatment has been administered. No reason for any.

Will scrape and scope both the canary and the grow outs when time comes to combine them. Then see.
I see no reason to do anything at this time. They will then spend a few more months with their canary friend.

Life is good for unstressed babies. ;)

Good job Matt. I'm a happy camper so far.

ponderingkoi
06-04-2008, 11:04 PM
Man Rudy, snow will be flying here in a few months. I don't have that much time. You obviously must be qt them inside cuz I've been to Chicago in the winter...and it's mighty nippy. :eek1: :D:

koitoo
06-04-2008, 11:04 PM

Marie

They are in great hands. You are the Koiphen's fish doctor!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rudy
06-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Man Rudy, snow will be flying here in a few months. I don't have that much time. You obviously must be qt them inside cuz I've been to Chicago in the winter...and it's mighty nippy. :eek1: :D:

YUP. I still have the 2 coming from Russ and Kari Peters and those may actually get to stay outside a few months since the temps have gotten better. Still don't like the idea of rain and stuff. But they will have have a good 700 gallons to share until they get a pond buddy down the line.

My koi keep sending signals saying "Rudy it my suck to be you around here but we got it made". :yes: :D:

OH, very heavy duty netting included. :yes:

Terry Bixby
06-05-2008, 04:34 AM
My SU is doing fine. Took a few days after he got here to learn that the food was not going to sink. Now he comes to the top and acts like a Hoover at feeding time.

LilHoover
06-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Now he comes to the top and acts like a Hoover at feeding time.

You've seen me eat? :harhar:

ponderingkoi
06-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Well I caught mine eating today. I have a shade cover over half the QT and saw him/her eating under it. :)

koitoo
06-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Well I caught mine eating today. I have a shade cover over half the QT and saw him/her eating under it. :)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

ponderingkoi
06-10-2008, 07:16 PM
My SU's little irritation spot looks like it's healing. It'll be in QT with the other one for a while yet...maybe two more weeks. That'll make 6 weeks and hopefully it'll be ready for the main pond by then.

jonathan
06-10-2008, 08:10 PM
moved minetoday to a certain tank i took pics ill upload mine later

Just Jessie
06-10-2008, 10:50 PM
Other than the one that leaped out of the tank through the little slit that the pump hose was going into and committed suicide, they reat are doing fine. I can't believe how fast they are growing.

Joey S
06-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Ours are eating machines. Still a little skiterish when we open the lid to the QT. But if you sneak a peak they are happy and healthy and eating up a storm.

desertkoi
06-11-2008, 12:41 AM
I got 2 shiros and put them in quarantine - I have lost one of them but the other is doing fine. I lost a few other fish in the QT tank and believe the issue is related to either toxic tree litter or ph swings due to the litter. I moved the fish to my back up quarantine after they kept flashing and developed red streaks and red capilary on their skin. After losing most of the smaller ones (although not the teeniest ones) and none of the big ones and two of my new stock. The shiro that died I did not scope and it had no outward signs of bacterial infection. Pond had been treated with Pro-form C and low doses of Potassium Permanganate and several water changes a week (20% or more) prior.

I can't find any published research on the desert willow but since after spending several hours on the internet, I did find out that it is a cousin to the trumpet vine which is poisonous. Emailing the local University Extension Center was a disappointment - the typical litter is bad, causes Dissolved Oxygen issues. Also nearby is an australlian bottle tree (Brachychiton populneus) which is supposedly ok (seeds, etc) but no mention of excessive bloom litter.

The remaining shiro has grown about 1/3 of it's original size in a month. Happy little guy.

six6guy
06-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Other than the one that leaped out of the tank through the little slit that the pump hose was going into and committed suicide, they reat are doing fine. I can't believe how fast they are growing.

Sorry to read of your jumper. I haven't measured them after arrival, but I also think mine are getting bigger. Sure eat like they are :D:

Brad

sundan
06-11-2008, 11:27 AM
Mine are doing fine... however, they broke out a nasty bout of costia. You need to double dose proform c to get this strain. seems each year strains are getting stronger and chemicals have less effect on them. People be ready, cause costia works fast, sometimes dead koi in 24 hours. If you see fish at bottom, fins clamp together, redness in fins,tail... treat quickly.

vipldy
06-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Mine are doing fine... however, they broke out a nasty bout of costia. You need to double dose proform c to get this strain. seems each year strains are getting stronger and chemicals have less effect on them. People be ready, cause costia works fast, sometimes dead koi in 24 hours. If you see fish at bottom, fins clamp together, redness in fins,tail... treat quickly.

Sorry to hear that..

ponderingkoi
06-11-2008, 07:36 PM

Are you doubling the individual doses or repeating the regular treatment regimen back to back?

koitoo
06-12-2008, 08:09 PM
I haven't seen one of mine since he went into the big pond. The other three swimming with the herd and eating like a pig.

Rudy
06-12-2008, 08:12 PM
I haven't seen one of mine since he went into the big pond. The other three swimming with the herd and eating like a pig.

No time for QT ? :eek1:

Bad koitoo, bad. :nono:

;)

EDIT: Thanks to Paula who pointed out that I probably missed the 3 +/- week QT because there were no pictures for me to look at like my story books have. :harhar:

So 3 weeks is better than none I suppose. Retracting my statement.
But Paula :nono: ;)

ponderingkoi
06-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Koitoo did QT for three weeks, had to make room for new growouts coming in. Now Rudy, you gotta go back and 'read' the posts. I know, I know...no pictures, just words....:rolleyes: ;)

ponderingkoi
06-12-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm hoping my little SU will feel ok to swim with the herd too. It'll be the smallest in the pond by far. It's swimming around with a big one in QT so hopefully it'll go ok.

vipldy
06-12-2008, 08:54 PM
I'm hoping my little SU will feel ok to swim with the herd too. It'll be the smallest in the pond by far. It's swimming around with a big one in QT so hopefully it'll go ok.

How is your fish doing ?

ponderingkoi
06-13-2008, 05:24 AM
The SU is doing fine and the little irritation is looking better. He's in QT with a bigger koi so I hope he's learning how to hang with the big 'uns and go after the food just as aggressively. He does swim and hang next to the other koi like a buddy if not a remora...lol! I'll do another scrape in a week and check him/her over again.

Bill OTMS
06-13-2008, 06:01 AM
Doin good. Eatin well. Still in QT.

Gordon Parr
06-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the report, Bill.

BTW After today (tonight) I am HOME FREE!!!

Bill OTMS
06-13-2008, 01:35 PM
COOL. Heat and smoke have delayed me. What's good this weekend?

premster
06-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Mine went into the general population already . Yes Yes I know three month and all that , we only get about 4 months to see the fish and I had to use the QT cus of me new pond project .

They are doing very well . awfully greedy but that is a good thing .

ponderingkoi
06-19-2008, 05:53 AM
I pulled my SU again yesterday and the small irritation it had has completely healed. Looks like it's growing well too. :)

ponderingkoi
06-24-2008, 06:01 AM
Well after 6 weeks in QT, I put my SU in the main pond. Happy to report it is swimming along great with the big ones and eating up a storm. It's the smallest in the herd, so I had my concerns. Looking forward to watching this one grow.

ponderingkoi
07-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Update. My SU's diet has expanded to shrimp, Manda Fu and oranges besides the regular pellets. Haven't found anything it doesn't like...lol! Also glad it is swimming around and hanging tough with the big koi. Water temp. has been in the upper 70's lately....good growing weather. I'm keeping the water naturally 'soft' (kh and gh 53 ppm) so may not see the sumi hold...but so far it is.

premster
07-13-2008, 10:39 PM
My SU is now almost as big as the two older SU's I had . Those are Nisai and this one is still a Tosai . Probably a sign of far better genetics . color wise he is not that different from the other two . He is far healthier than the sanke I got in the same grow out .

For food that all get krill and a 36% protein regular food . Ofcource they prefer the krill . lol

Bill OTMS
07-14-2008, 06:05 AM
Hungry and happy. Gotta pull them and measure just to see. Very nice colors. Deep and defined.

koitoo
07-14-2008, 08:03 PM
3 out of 4 lost their sumi. I think it is a good thing They are pigs and always demand food. All in all, they are growing and healthy.

premster
07-14-2008, 09:50 PM
3 out of 4 lost their sumi. I think it is a good thing They are pigs and always demand food. All in all, they are growing and healthy.

I think the sumi stretches in the growing season but comes back in the fall . Strangely that hasnt happened with my guy so far ..

LilHoover
07-15-2008, 01:11 AM
One thing I've noticed about my SU in the past couple of weeks is that the white is starting to brighten just a little right at the end of the caudal peduncle. The rest of the white still looks very non-fat milkish. Sumi looks the same.

Ryan S.
07-15-2008, 03:26 PM

That is Odd and I would not think normal. My fish are probably growing given the amounts of food in the pond, but I green water and have not seen them since they went in, so really don't know the status of mine. I'm very curious about mine, but tossing in lots of food and our water has phosphates I have not bothered trying to force it to clear.

Noahsnana
07-15-2008, 08:33 PM
All my QT's are in the pond... they are soooo happy to be in the big pond. They were really skiddish in the QT, as soon as they went into the pond they joined in the herd and look great

Toragoi
07-18-2008, 03:27 AM
After a horrific case of costia and chilodonella and going through 3 treatments of ProformC and 3 heavy duty PP treatments, Gimpy is still gimping along. Stubborn little thing just refuses to die. Must be that lucky fin....:cool3:

Rudy
07-18-2008, 02:22 PM
ALL grow outs are now together. 2 shiro utsuri, 2 sanke & 2 showa.
They are still in the QT world as far as going into the big tank but they have formed a gang :eek1:

Interesting actually. At first they all swam in groups of two (each kind) and that was to be expected since they had probably schooled around for so long before being shipped.

Odd thing was that while the SU's and sanke finally got together they would still feed in their own pairs. Now that the 2 showa have been added they became one pack of eating machines.

I am thinking of adding more netting because I have never had little koi that come flying out of the water after food like these guys. :no:

So far they are all good. :thumb:

six6guy
07-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Both of my SU growouts are fine and eating like pigs, but... One has deep sumi and milky shiro (Mascara), just as you would expect. The other one (Mariah) has the milky shiro but the sumi seems faded... I netted him/her today and checked him/her over real good. Nothing from a scrape and scope. After I went ahead and put her back in the pond it dawned on me... The sumi pattern has changed from the original pattern. So the week looking sumi was really just normal sumi changing. Scared me for a minute there.

Brad

ponderingkoi
07-22-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm keeping my water on the soft side, so might not see that sumi develop much yet. It's fading off my new beni kumronyu too. The SU is doing well, eating and growing. It's one tough little bugger, hanging in tight with the big uns'. :)

koirus
08-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Two of the three Su's had grown to about 9.5" with nice deep bodies (high backs) so I moved them out eith the big guys. Kept the littlest one in QT for a while longer. Here's a pciture of one the ones I moved out.

ponderingkoi
08-12-2008, 07:56 AM
I'll pull mine next week to get a pic. Yours are looking good! Looks like they'll have to fatten up before winter. Do you get cold winters where you are in Virginia?

Cowiche Ponder
08-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Mine is still alive!!! :yahoo:

They are in the 300 gallon stock qt. It's raised up on blocks. They are so skittish in there. If I put fish in qt in the show tank they are not nearly so jumpy...has anyone else had that experience with their fish?

premster
08-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Yes . I just got rid of the algea pea soup I was having and not the fish are on strike . hiding at the bottom and not eating ..

Toragoi
08-14-2008, 04:42 AM
Gimpy is still alive and hasn't grown an inch. Not one millimeter, but I can certainly understand why, even with the best of care. Gimpy will never see the hallowed halls of the main pond, but it's all good. S/he is now the official QT Canary--s/he's been through hell and back and still keeps ticking like a Timex. I swear it's got to be that lucky fin...*LOL*

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j315/sangreaal/Koi/100_2533.jpg

premster
08-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Gimpy is still alive and hasn't grown an inch. Not one millimeter, but I can certainly understand why, even with the best of care. Gimpy will never see the hallowed halls of the main pond, but it's all good. S/he is now the official QT Canary--s/he's been through hell and back and still keeps ticking like a Timex. I swear it's got to be that lucky fin...*LOL*

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j315/sangreaal/Koi/100_2533.jpg

:confused: you made your growout a canary:eek1: .. why ?

Just Jessie
08-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Mine is growing well, the color is good, white white and black blacks, and the kink is gone, I just left it alone and it staightened out fine. Its a good looking fish, I am very happy with it.
My hi showa is growing like a teenager, I can't believe how fast its growing!!!

Toragoi
08-16-2008, 10:03 PM
:confused: you made your growout a canary:eek1: .. why ?

Because I've never had such a sickly, deformed, high strung and freaked out koi. Ever. No way am I introducing that into my main pond to rub off on the others. If Shealee's Comet can't bring the little freak down in the Q, it ain't gonna happen out in the pond either, growout or no growout. It can in no way compete with any of the other fish still alive and well in the competition, so why worry about it?

Cowiche Ponder
08-16-2008, 10:52 PM
mine is still alive..I think that is doing good :yes:

ponderingkoi
08-17-2008, 08:10 AM
Mine is growing well, by the looks of it. I'll pull it this week. It has a spot I want to check out, might have gotten a bump or small scrape competing with the much bigger koi in the pond.

Rudy
08-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Everything seems fine here. I must admit however that not just the shiros' but the grow out sanke and showa are all like little rockets and getting a real good look at them requires a faster eye than mine.

The preferred way of eating for all six is circle the bottom of the QT, pick out the pellet(s) then fly up, grab, make a big splash and return to the depths. :shrug:

How many of you still have yours in a QT ? Just curious.

Ellie
08-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Mine came out of QT and have been in the pond for a month now. It has the same eating habit though. Fortunately, the water is clear enough that I can see them no matter where they go. My QT is only 110 gallons and stayed in the 80+ degree range the entire time they were in there. I scraped, scoped, and found nothing so in they went. Haven't had any problems or losses, thank goodness. As far as growth, I can't tell, Shiro is still the smallest fish in there. Guess I'll find out when we measure in. Sanke appears to have grown.

kingsponds
08-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Mine are still in QT and I plan to leave them there all winter. They are in with a small koi from my pond. I got 4 SU's but 2 went to a friend who is a club member. Sadly one of his died after going down the drain 4 times and going into the vortex. He had put it out in his main pond. Of my two one is healthy and always has been but the smaller one had an ulcer on it's tummy. I healed that up and then it developed fin rot on one fin. That is in the process of healing up nicely but I am concerned about the smaller SU and hopefully staying inside all winter will make it bigger and stronger. They both are growing well and eating well. They are in a 600 gallon show tank so they have lots of room. It is always nice to have a couple of koi inside all winter to care for.

kingsponds
08-17-2008, 02:37 PM
The show tank is a 6 foot show tank not a 600 gallon show tank. Sorry about that.

Marie
08-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Mine are still in Quarantine and will stay there probably until next year, but my quarantine is my 2,000 gallon first pond that proved to be too small for all the fish I was acquiring. The Shiros and sanke are eating and doing great. They have gotten to where they swim up to the edge when they see me out at the pond. The shiro has grown maybe three inches and the shiros have grown probably two inches.

kingsponds
08-17-2008, 04:07 PM
I got 4 SU's. 2 went to a fellow club member who did not sign up in time to get the SU's. One of his has died because it got into his vortex. He put them in his main pond. My 2 are alive and growing in my 6 foot show tank QT system. They will stay there for the winter with a pond buddy. I will put them out next spring after the weather warms up. Of my 2 one had an ulcer on it's tummy and I healed that. Next the same koi got fin rot on one fin and that is almost better also. They are growing well and eating well but are still very afraid of me. I am hoping the one that keeps getting sick will be stronger by next spring.

Cowiche Ponder
08-17-2008, 06:26 PM
Everything seems fine here. I must admit however that not just the shiros' but the grow out sanke and showa are all like little rockets and getting a real good look at them requires a faster eye than mine.

The preferred way of eating for all six is circle the bottom of the QT, pick out the pellet(s) then fly up, grab, make a big splash and return to the depths. :shrug:

How many of you still have yours in a QT ? Just curious.

Mine are still in qt. Their water is sooo much warmer than the pond it will be interesting to move them. Want the problem in the pond cleared up before I move anymore in there.

edit: Rudy I have the same problem with the rocket ships. They are in a 300 gallon stock tank and any small fish I put in there are always spooky. Big fish seem to be ok, but they have been ones from the pond.

ponderingkoi
08-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Mine was spooky in the QT too even though I had it covered 50%. I just don't think it felt comfortable in there. It was in an 8 foot showtank, with just one larger buddy. It is looking very comfortable in the pond even though it is the smallest one in the herd. I think it's had good growth though it misses some food to the larger koi.

Rudy
08-17-2008, 08:59 PM
In their defense :rolleyes: I have to say they are not skittish from fear. They just hang out but when they see someone they go into a food attack mode that is very piranha like. At least what I have seen of piranha in the wild on TV.

They just start darting around like mad and then go splash crazy on food.

My big kids still don't care what you give them and they won't hurry to get it. I thought MandaFu would do it but :no: . They seem to know that if it hits the water its dinner time and that's it.

Now I started the babies on it and they are crazy. I was breaking it up but then just threw in a few full marshmallows of MandaFu. They eat the whole thing :eek1:

I always wished I'd meet a girl .... never mind.

They are all good little piglets.

BekkoIsTheBest
08-18-2008, 07:05 PM
Well...Ponds been green for months, and after 2 weeks of rain it is quite clear. That's great and all....but my SU is missing.

A week ago, I got home from school and was told a white fish had died. My dad had chucked it into the woods before I was able to ID it. Now I am pretty sure that it was the SU.

Rudy
08-18-2008, 08:08 PM
OUCH ... sorry you lost one at all.
I still have the skeleton of my kohaku grow out that I had high hopes for if it makes you feel any better knowing it can happen to anyone. :sad:

premster
08-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Because I've never had such a sickly, deformed, high strung and freaked out koi. Ever. No way am I introducing that into my main pond to rub off on the others. If Shealee's Comet can't bring the little freak down in the Q, it ain't gonna happen out in the pond either, growout or no growout. It can in no way compete with any of the other fish still alive and well in the competition, so why worry about it?

Marie .. I think they are all skittish in the Q . . I dont know what it is but they get better in the pond .

maxxreebo1
08-25-2008, 10:51 AM
I stressed the hell out of mine the other day trying to catch him. I had him netted 5 times and each time I got him 6" from the top he would jump 5' in the air! I just knew he would hit the deck. I never did get a new pic. here is one from a month ago.

necjeb
08-25-2008, 08:46 PM
Well one went over to the neighbors last week. 1 (of course the best) was lost to a raccoon(taken care of) this is the 1 i have left.

pskorf
08-26-2008, 09:13 PM
getting cooler at night.i might have to have a watergarden pond harvest this weekend

ponderingkoi
08-27-2008, 06:57 AM
We've been cool at night too here. Much cooler than usual for us for August. The koi seems to be growing like crazy though. I'm going to see if I can pull my SU today and get some pics.

six6guy
08-28-2008, 09:23 PM
It's been hot here (just below 100F), but that's SoCal for you... My water temp is just 78F (my pond is shaded almost all of the afternoon). I haven't even attempted to catch them for a measurement, but they have definitely grown quite a bit.

One of my two SUs is just finishing a stage were all the sumi looked light or out of fucus, 3-ish weeks now. After a while I figured out the sumi was changing from one pattern to a completely different one. Anyway the second pattern is getting pretty dark now and the first pattern is almost gone. The other SU has the original pattern and boy is it's pattern crisp... Go figure.

Brad

ponderingkoi
09-01-2008, 08:55 PM
I couldn't catch mine. I just got a bigger net with a much longer handle, so I'll try again next week.

ponderingkoi
09-11-2008, 10:30 AM
I still haven't attempted to catch mine. I did get a couple pics of it in the pond yesterday though. I've been keeping the water soft, so the sumi is fading. I'll probably bump it up a bit before winter and see if it returns.

premster
09-11-2008, 12:12 PM
How big is that one paula .. seems the growing has lightened the sumi . Mine has a lot of thick lacquer like sumi . Never lightened even though she grew a lot . There was a yellow spot on the nose which is fading now that I am not feeding any krill.

Rick Gippner
09-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Mine is MIA. Realized I hadn't seen him in a few weeks. Finally I searched and he's gone. :shrug:

Bill OTMS
09-11-2008, 01:49 PM
When does the grow out end?

Ryan S.
09-11-2008, 02:25 PM
When does the grow out end?

I can't remember if it was Oct 18th or Nov 1st. I will try to find the orginal post, it got buried in the mass of koiphen posts.

ponderingkoi
09-11-2008, 07:08 PM
How big is that one paula .. seems the growing has lightened the sumi . Mine has a lot of thick lacquer like sumi . Never lightened even though she grew a lot . There was a yellow spot on the nose which is fading now that I am not feeding any krill.

Seems like it's grown quite a bit, but I think the soft water is fading the sumi. I'll start bumping it up and see if it comes back. That SU is in the pond with some big fish and it's not looking like such a little koi anymore. They feed themselves so I don't have a sense for how much it's eating. Cool weather is coming in for us though, so they'll start slowing down in a few weeks.

ponderingkoi
09-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Mine is MIA. Realized I hadn't seen him in a few weeks. Finally I searched and he's gone. :shrug:

Well that stinks. I'd be bummed.

six6guy
09-14-2008, 11:17 AM

My growout sanke was often MIA for days at a time. It would go inside my 4" bottom drain lines and stay there until I did a water change. It urned the name "Piper" because of this. Sorry to hear yours is gone and not just in the pipes.

My two SUs, Mascara and Mariah, are both doing fine. Mariah changed her pattern from the original pattern. Mascara still has her original pattern.

I'm not sure I want to bother catching them before spring in order to get a bowl shot and measurement. I have to drain down the pond pretty low in order catch them, turns into a weekend project... I do this in the spring anyway.

Brad

ponderingkoi
09-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Still haven't bothered to catch my SU, but got a couple more pics of it with the herd. Sure looks like it's grown. It used to be the baby of the pond and now it's not looking like a baby anymore. :cool3:

premster
09-15-2008, 08:48 AM
looks like big baby .:D:

Doc Hollywood
09-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Oops, One of my four jumped out of the QT while I was feeding the main pond and I didn't see it until I went out later. I saved it and resuscitated it but after a few days it didn't make it. Well good thing I have three left. It was one of my favorites but I am not taking it bad. I had it worse when I lost my first Marusai Chagoi.

Well I guess I will have to go out and buy another koi. Maybe a Kujaku

ponderingkoi
09-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Sorry to hear that. I have never had a jumper, knock on wood...but you'd think they all jump with the way I secure down the netting over the QT tank. I always figure if I'm going to go through all the trouble of QT, meds, sedating/scoping etc...they sure better stay put. Seems they try to find the smallest spot to escape, not knowing the grass may well be greener on the other side, but it sure isn't wet.

Ellie
09-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Mine is doing well, but isn't showing all that much growth. Still a shy eater. When do we officially end the contest, or measure in? Just wondering since winter has seemed to arrived for some folks.

ponderingkoi
09-18-2008, 09:22 AM
I'm wondering the same thing. Not sure what the dates are etc. for measuring. We are cool at night and my pond water is down into the 60's now.

premster
09-18-2008, 12:44 PM
I am not getting in the water now to catch mine measuring or not . brrr ..

raganwald
09-21-2008, 12:48 PM
I have two, seem ok. I will shoot some photos next month. One seems to be considerably larger than the other, maybe it is eating more. I have noticed that both have very pronounced humps behind their heads, much more pronounced than any other koi I have seen.

Is that anything to worry about?

maxxreebo1
10-03-2008, 06:18 PM
My friend Colin's growout.

ponderingkoi
10-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Nice looking shiro. My pond water is down to 57 and we'll have a very cool night tonight. I don't expect to see a heck of a lot of growth the rest of this month with those temps. I'm thinking this growout thing favors the southern people whose fish will still be eating like pigs for another 3 1/2 weeks...lol!

Limpet
10-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Yes Paula, I would have to agree with you.........

vipldy
10-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Mine are inside and should continue to grow all winter:yes:

koitoo
10-03-2008, 07:44 PM
very nice! It looks like it double in size - 7" for 5 months!!!!

premster
10-03-2008, 09:24 PM
my guy has grown well but has a yellow patch on the snout .. grr ..:rolleyes:

maxxreebo1
10-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Same as above but with a comparison pic. http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h72/maxxreebo1/pond/colinSU.jpghttp://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h72/maxxreebo1/pond/DSC00410-2.jpg

LilHoover
10-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Wow nice improvement maxxreebo1. She looks wonderful.

I don't know about the "southern" advantage. I haven't measured yet but I don't think mine has grown much at all in my still-75F water. The Sanke and the Showa are markedly larger, but my SU is still very small. Surely genetics, water, and the koi's gender comes into play as well.

Rudy
10-11-2008, 03:59 PM
OK, here's the skinny on mine Shiro utsuri and Sanke.

I received then 5/17/08 (posted pics I'm sure).

They have been in QT since and after at least 3 weeks or more were joined with 2 Showa grow outs.
At the time I received them we had one shiro at 7 1/4' & 6 1/2".
The sanke were one at 8" & 8 3/8".

The Shiro @ 6 1/2" was always and still is the most timid. he will follow the others up as they "hit and dive" but will most of the time back off when he/she hears the other one break the surface.

So Shiro 7 1/4" has grown the most and is now in with the big kids. 12" but very robust to the point it needs excersize. Similar to the one shown but zero yellow. Shiro and sumi are good :yes:
Number two on the other hand is still in the QT being the one that grew the least of all. 6 1/2" to only 9 1/2".

The Sanke did well for now.
8" to 11 1/2" and 8 3/8" to 12".

OH, you want pictures do you ? :yes: :yes: :yes: ... eat me :harhar:

I took out each koi and then bowled, took a group picture of all six and covered.
I then removed for their Photo op each one according to type. (many shots and angles).
I then took the ones I wanted to go in the big tank and did just that knowing darn well this would be the last time I catch them for another 3" to 6" of growth. Maybe more :shrug:

Well to make this a little shorter there are now 4 grow outs with the big kids and the one little Shiro and the nasty looking "Showa" still in QT keeping the media warm.

OH YA, the pictures that I pains takingly took.
I put da card in de computer and she no working Man :no:
So I take out de card and she still no woking Man :no:
Sos I take her back out an talk nice tings to her to make 'er Happy, ya know? :yes:

So I pushs her in again, and this time like a man my Brotha Man :eek1:
I done broke 'er an all dem photos be gone now. :frown:

Sorry, I ate a coconut. :D:

No Rum was hurt in this post :cool3:

premster
10-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Ill have to pass on pics too. I have hurt my shoulder and am not trying to catch me boogers . Unfortunately I did not measure my guys and I am thinking
the shiro was about 6.5 to 7 inches and the sanke was just about 6 . the sanke got sick and needed to be treated for costia . the Shiro joined the herd early .

I have not caught either of them but I am comparing them to fish I have caught and measured . the Shiro is about 14" as it is the same as another measure sanke the Growout sanke is about 12-13 " . It was lagging behind for a long time and over the last 2 months caught up . The Shiro has a bit of yellow on the lip , proly cus I fed them krill and sanke looks male but they are both very different proportions .

Sorry but I am noy getting in 50 deg water to get them with a bad shoulder now . lol

Rudy
10-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Edit to the post above.

Out of all the pix somehow 3 made it. They stink but are of the larger SU.

So here ya go :rolleyes:

sundan
10-12-2008, 01:46 PM
holy moly Rudy, you been giving them steriods? Jumbo su. I must be doing something wrong cause mine have not grown much. Here is mine when I got them.

Ellie
10-12-2008, 10:32 PM
the lousiest photography contest. Sorry Rudy. Anyway here are mine

The Shiro, still shy, like Rudy's it waits until the big fish are not around and then grabs a bite like a sniper. Kinda dissapointed with the shiro it seems to be fading instead of developing. First pic is the day I got it followed by tonight's awful pics. I don't understand my camera. Pictures looked great on the camera and look like doodoo when uploaded. I tried to resize but they weren't any better. Sorry.

ponderingkoi
10-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Well I posted a separate thread, but I'll duplicate it here. I caught my SU today, 10-15-08 and measured. Looks like she is just breaking 16" if I can get her lined up straight on the markings...lol. She was not happy about being singled out and got pink fairly quickly. I kept my water soft all summer, so I expected the sumi to fade some. I might harden it again next year and see if it comes back. The fish fed themselves most of the summer season with the koi kicki buffet feeder, so I don't know how much food it got, but it hung in there tough with the rest of the herd that are all much bigger.

Rudy
10-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Very nice growth :clap: . I like the body on that koi.
You have plenty of time for the rest to fall into place. :cool:

ponderingkoi
10-15-2008, 11:18 PM
For some reason, almost all my koi seem to have doubled in size this summer. This is the first time I let them feed themselves, so maybe that's part of it. They also got Manda fu treats daily and shrimp about once per week. I fed them OSI (Matt @ Sugarloaf rec.), & Dianichi premium pellets in the feeder. They also snacked on this water plant a lot...not sure what the name of it is. :cool3: The SU looks better in the pond, not stressed. :yes:

Carl
10-16-2008, 06:27 AM
For some reason, almost all my koi seem to have doubled in size this summer. This is the first time I let them feed themselves, so maybe that's part of it. They also got Manda fu treats daily and shrimp about once per week.

That's pretty impressive growth. :eek1:

ponderingkoi
10-16-2008, 07:56 AM
That's pretty impressive growth. :eek1:

That big yellow koi in the pic. feeds the others. She is heading over to the string to pull it in this pic. She is the only one that pulls the string to release the pellets. Looks like she's done a good job...lol! :cool:

ponderingkoi
10-18-2008, 04:45 PM
I'll pull my SU again next week to get some better pics of her. I just need a calm day to remove the net and drain down the pond. We've got too many leaves falling right now and it's getting cold. I've got to get the greenhouse on this next week too. Time to get prepped for winter.