PDA

View Full Version : Housing for the eggs

Bonz
05-31-2008, 08:34 PM
I have 3 16 inch koi in a 1000 gallon pond. Last year the spawning took place and I didn't know it happened. When I went to move the koi to their winter home in the garage I had 2 surviving babies. Today I was outside when the spawn took place and I was able to read on the Internet about spawning. I wasn't sure I wanted to try raising the fry but decided I was going to give it a shot. I have water hyacinths which are loaded with eggs. I went on line to see what I needed to do to provide a safe hatching environment. Couldn't find much information so I winged it. I set up my 100 gallon fiberglass tank I used the first year my koi were housed in the garage. I filled it with pond water, set up a pump for oxygen with a sponge filter on the intake valve. To this I put 2 plants covered with the eggs in it. Now I have no idea what comes next. Most of my reading involved fry feeding, etc. But what do I need to do now to insure hatching? I'm mentally prepared for failure but I really would like to try this. Any suggestions will be very much apprecited.

Thanks in advance for any information shared.
Bonz

vipldy
05-31-2008, 09:05 PM
I have 3 16 inch koi in a 1000 gallon pond. Last year the spawning took place and I didn't know it happened. When I went to move the koi to their winter home in the garage I had 2 surviving babies. Today I was outside when the spawn took place and I was able to read on the Internet about spawning. I wasn't sure I wanted to try raising the fry but decided I was going to give it a shot. I have water hyacinths which are loaded with eggs. I went on line to see what I needed to do to provide a safe hatching environment. Couldn't find much information so I winged it. I set up my 100 gallon fiberglass tank I used the first year my koi were housed in the garage. I filled it with pond water, set up a pump for oxygen with a sponge filter on the intake valve. To this I put 2 plants covered with the eggs in it. Now I have no idea what comes next. Most of my reading involved fry feeding, etc. But what do I need to do now to insure hatching? I'm mentally prepared for failure but I really would like to try this. Any suggestions will be very much apprecited.

Thanks in advance for any information shared.
Bonz
Someone else from WI:punk1: :clap: :yahoo: Well so far ya done good. They should hatch in about 3-5 days if all goes well. If you see white eggs try and get them out as they are no good and they are rotting. When they hatch and take their first breath I think you can feed them egg yolk..They will also find food on their own in the plant. Fry eat live food so get some shrimp brine and you can start hatching your own...Best of luck!

Marie

Luck
06-01-2008, 01:58 AM
your in the same boat as me, I have about 400 newly hatched goldfish fry. They are in a 100 gallon setup and so far they have had egg yolk and now some daphnia. vipldy is right the white eggs (after a couple days from spawn) are non-fertile and will cause water quality issues. The other big one is watch the ammonia...a little bit will kill em quick. I use pond water from where the parents are to do water changes, I have heard that city water can do a number on them also.

sallyboy
06-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Congratulations, you seem to be doing fine. You are on the correct road. The sponge filter is fine. The easy part is over. The fish did most of the work. You have probably found most information on the web concerning feeding, because keeping the fry alive is the hardest part.

I was in a very similiar situation as you two years ago when my koi first spawned. I don't want to seem like an expert because by no means am I. I only this once and it worked. I'm on my second try now. I will tell you from little experience what happened to me.

I,like you, placed several water hiacynths in a 55 gallon tank with an external filter. Like you, I expected poor results but my 9year old son begged me to give it a try. I did nothing at that point. What appeared to be 50 eggs hatched in four days. The fry stuck to the glass of the aquarium, seemed like 40 fry. On the next day there were thousand of fry swimming around. I was amazed.

Being ignorant and not knowing what to do, I ran to the local pet store and bought some liquid fry food by Wardleys. During the next week I did several water changes and 75% of the fry died. I have to blame it on water quality.

After a couple of weeks, I began to feed the fry ground koi pellets. As a result of Darwin's theory, 35 of the fittest fry survived into adult hood.

My protocal was not correct by any means. I just wanted to let you know that if an idiot like me can do it, you are in good shape for success.

My suggestions are: frequent water changes with dechlorinated water, feed live food - like rotifers and baby brine shrimp. And don't forget to cull the fish. There is no way you will be able to keep 100s of koi alive in a 100 gallon tank. Good luck and have fun.

sallyboy
06-01-2008, 09:43 AM
By the way, this time around I'm going to try Rotifers, Daphnea, egg yolks, and live baby brine shrimp.

Bonz
06-02-2008, 12:03 AM
I realize water changes are very important and I was spending my time at work today trying to figure out how to do this without sucking up the babies (if I get any). I do water changes in the pond using a submersable sump pump and a hose and water the garden with it. I figured this would be to much suction in the baby tank. My daughter has an aquarium syphoney thing to clean out her indoor aquarium but you have to suck on it to get the flow started, yuck. I also thought about using a length of aquarium 1/4 in hose but I'd still have to suck on it to get it started. The thought a mouthful of pond water and all the fishy stuff (you know what I mean?) is not appealing. Do you think I could put pantyhose on the sump pump without hurting it? And would I replace with fresh water and a dechlorinater or use pond water?

I stopped tonight and bought a dozen eggs for the first feeding and plan on visiting the local pond place to get what ever else I'll need. I am too tired tonight to do any reading on line but am wondering what the heck is Rotifers and Daphnea?!?!

Thanks all of you for your suggestions and words of encouragement...

BTW Vipldy, I'm in Milwaukee ;)

sallyboy
06-02-2008, 05:34 AM
I use aquarium air tubing to siphon out the debris/mulm on the bottom of the tank. I use the clear stuff and have avoided a dirty mouthful so far. I usually syphon into a five gallon bucket, let everything settle, and then scoop the fry out with a net.

I think the panty hose over a pump will not allow all the "dirt" to get sucked up. I also think it will be to powerful.

Roifers and daphnae are small animals used for fish feeding. The are available at pet stores that sell frozen foods. It's an alternative to live foods.

Good luck and enjoy the challenge. It's a great learning experience. My son is very quick to point out the koi that were raised by him as a result of the spawn.

ALABAMAFALCONRY
06-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Yesterday i had counted my 1 inch koi from my first spawn " 348" !! my small pond that i set up for second spawn . I havent even touched them but there is 3 times the amount this is the first year. everything has come out right . after 9 years. I think alot of it was just having the water right and a lot of
patience , and thanks to "Steve Ramsey " I was more prepared than i would have been had i not spoke to him. i will keep you updated . also i crossed a jet black butterfly koi with a platinum ogon . we will see what i get

Bonz
06-02-2008, 11:51 PM
I was trying to remove the white eggs today per vipldy's suggestion and noticed quite a few eggs that look clear but flatened with a ring of green around them. Any idea what this might be?

Sallyboy I think I'm going to hire a neighborhood kid to start the suction when I do water changes :yes: