PDA

View Full Version : And it begins again...

PapaBear
05-29-2008, 07:20 AM
Let the games begin for 2008.
Night before last the males were all acting flashy and jumping all over the place. I was thinking I might have some fluke problems the way they were acting as they were coming most of the way out of the water. Yesterday morning we figured out that they were just doing their warm up exercises as our female Orenji Ogon was primed and ready.
She was just barely getting started so we were able to net her out and move her to a 6' spawning tank that was already up and running and moved the longfin male in to breed with her. She is a relatively young female so it only took them a few hours to finish, and once they were done I moved them back to the pond.
I started siphoning eggs out last night and moved a few thousand to a small hatchery tank. I'll gather the rest this morning and move them as well, which should be at least 10,000 more. (like I said, small female)
Since we were able to separate the breeding pair we will be culling for Ogon from this spawn to see if we really learned anything from last years fun and games. It should be an interesting follow up to last years education.
We have 2 more females that could start up anytime now. Our Kin Aka Bekko (~21") and a Shiro Bekko (~14"). We plan to breed them to our 2 Kohaku Males.
Here are the first set of parents.
Mom first.
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa68/larziles/Orenji-1.jpg

And Daddy.
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa68/larziles/Frenchy.jpg

PapaBear
05-29-2008, 09:09 AM
Well, apparently the Ogons told everybody how much fun they had yesterday because we're off and running again this morning.
I was just getting ready to finish siphoning eggs to remove to the 1st hatchery tank when I noticed some of the young males chasing the Shiro Bekko. I only had to watch for a few minutes to be sure it was genuine slap and tickle time, so I quickly got the rest of the Ogon eggs out and set to catching the desired pair for todays activities (which are going on while I type this).

From this spawn we plan to cull for Sanke and Bekko.

Here's mom.
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa68/larziles/SBekko12.jpg

And Dad.
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa68/larziles/Henrietta2.jpg

PapaBear
06-21-2008, 12:32 PM
No pix yet, but the first 2 spawns yielded a few thousand fry each.
The LF Ogon cross fry are in the small hatchery tank I threw together last year and are growing well. Very few with dark markings, which is what I had hoped for. Mostly orange/yellow for now, but they've got a lot of growing to do before I can tell much.
The Bekko/Kohaku spawn is housed in an indoor aquarium and appears to be doing fine. A bit slower growing than their outdoor cousins, but LF fry look bigger than they truly are because of the long tail fin so it can be deceptive. Still far too small for any meaningful indication of color or pattern, so not much else to report.
Our big girl still hasn't spawned yet, but the next week or two will likely change that... Patience is such a pain sometimes...:rolleyes:

On a side note.
Both of our hachery tanks (95 gal and 85 gal respectively) are filtered using the 750 gallon rated submerged filters Lowes sells for their POS water gardens.

I mention this because most of the time hobbyist fry are raised in unfiltered but heavily aerated pools to prevent fry from getting sucked into the pump/filter, which typically leads to high mortality rates due to water quality issues.

By using this type of filter (<$30) the pump pulls through the submerged filter which spreads the suction out over a large surface area. Even newly hatched fry are safe from harm, and water quality is more easily controlled and stable with far fewer water changes needed.

PapaBear
06-22-2008, 09:51 AM
BTW, we also feed some live food (rotifers, etc... as per Brett's little recipe at the top of the page) and with all the wet weather they've been getting mosquito larvae from anywhere I find the little buggers trying to grow...

tyco4357
06-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Is that a big sponge filter? I have 4 in my baby vat, but I am wondering if yours is the same. They sit on the bottom of the tank?

PapaBear
06-23-2008, 07:41 AM
It is about 1' square with 2 layers of sponge matting and bioballs inside, sitting on the bottom.

velvetbone
06-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Bump

PapaBear
06-29-2008, 07:26 PM
The big girl still hasn't gotten "in the mood"...:rolleyes:
Might have to break out the candle light and roses again;)
Not much else to report yet as they're still pretty dinky. The longfins are growing faster, but we haven't taken any pix yet.