PDA

View Full Version : zek's SU's

zek
05-21-2008, 09:02 PM
Here are my 2 SU's.
Both were around 5 1/2". The darker one has some hi on the chin that hopefully goes away.

I have them in a 300 gallon stock tank with 2 55 gallon barrels for filtration and a dolphin 150 air pump stirring up 2 sq ft of k1 in one of the barrels and air lifting ~800 gph. I have 2 sankes with them too.

They are all doing great!

zek
06-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Lesson reinforced on picking heavy sumi on a SU. The 1st one is full of hi. The pick doesn't show it, but there's spots all over, especially on the underside. Does that make it a crappy showa, or just a specklegoi? Little growth, perhaps 1/2 inch.

The 2nd one is looking good. There's a nice band of sumi lurking under to balance the pattern. It's grown to 7 inches.

Carl
06-22-2008, 03:36 PM
I've seen a lot of pics of Omosako line koi outgrowing their hi. Hopefully, yours will too. There was an Omosako growout at another chatboard, and many of them had lots of hi, but most expected it to disappear.

zek
06-23-2008, 08:56 AM
That's the science project in a nutshell on this one: see what happens to the hi. I wanted the heavy sumi to see how it developed in contrast to another one I have from last year where the sumi the opposite extreme. I would be shocked to see that much hi come down. The pictures don't show it, especially the underbelly which I didn't post.

The other grow-out should be a pleasure to watch the sumi develop.

I also have an SU that I bought at the local koi club auction last year that's sumi started with only a grey shadow. Only a single small spot near the gill plate has developed real inky black so far. The rest is slowly filling and darkening.

Carl
06-23-2008, 09:41 AM
That's the science project in a nutshell on this one: see what happens to the hi. I wanted the heavy sumi to see how it developed in contrast to another one I have from last year where the sumi the opposite extreme. I would be shocked to see that much hi come down. The pictures don't show it, especially the underbelly which I didn't post.

The other grow-out should be a pleasure to watch the sumi develop.

I also have an SU that I bought at the local koi club auction last year that's sumi started with only a grey shadow. Only a single small spot near the gill plate has developed real inky black so far. The rest is slowly filling and darkening.

I think you really have to give SU's a couple of years before you know how they are going to turn out.

zek
06-23-2008, 10:48 AM
That's correct on sumi development. I've not read anything positive on loosing hi. This is a perfect example to find what happens with it coming from a good genetic stock and what makes this an interesting observation.

Ryan S.
06-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Small spots are morely likely to go away, patches much less so, so people say. Of course its bad to have beni on the top or anyplace visable while a koi is in normal course of swimming. A large group of su on another forum a couple months back had a lot of random beni spots from fish of the same line it was said it would often fade out as they grew :confused: I think its a roll of the dice and may or probably always be there, but its just a part of what makes a good show fish, so who knows from that group which will turn out the best overall.