PDA

View Full Version : my spawn 2008

Wolfscout1
05-08-2008, 06:18 AM
Oh boy. :no:

My koi spawned was a rough time for my metalic speckeled Bullet.
hundreds of eggs everywhere including top sides of pond....

2 days later .. I have fry in the settlement chamber, in the waterfall, in the small pond ( which is part of filtersystem) and in the stream to main pond, in the main pond they are readily seen in the floating plant baskets I made.
:eek1: They're everywhere...:eek1:
I have no idea if they will survive.. or even if I would wish them to... Have no idea what to do with them if they do.

ATM they are feeding the frogs and the other koi I woudl think.

I have taken a couple into the house into an aquarium to see how things go.. Might actually keep a couple but hundreds naw I'm assuming nature will take it course on most of them. Hopefully 90%. :eek1:

I've read about if for years and never had sucha huge spawn before where I am now concerned over the massive amounts of fry that I see.

Poppajohn
05-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Good luck with your fry and I would keep a close eye on your water.

I would so like to be in your shoes right now. I purchased a 12' intex pool the other day incase I am lucky enough to catch my uncles fish drop there eggs. He said I could take whatever I wanted because after they wash down into his other pond the bass just eat them. So hoping I can catch them and be able to enjoy them as you are. :cool: My fish are too young yet so maybe next year for my fish. :yes:

John

Wolfscout1
05-08-2008, 03:15 PM
well, I wasn't prepared for such a large spawn.. they have spawned last few years but not nearly as large a egg count as this one. I just came inside from sittiong out there wondering if I want to fool with trying to do something about saving some of them or not................... :confused:

Wolfscout1
05-17-2008, 08:40 AM
OK I took 20 into the aquarium indoors... of that I am now down to 5 for the last 7 days.
I did the water changes and the fry feeding, had the live food sorted out.
I am now grinding up flake food for the 5fry and they can be seen eating it.
no colors are evident yet. still whitish-to-clear.
I'm looking into getting a stock tank to grow them up to pond size in. Have spare pumps and filters for that already.
~~ Out in the pond the situation looked grim for the fry.
seems there isn't one to be found now. Whether threw cannibalism, frogs ( I have hundreds of them out there), perhaps the pump and filters killed off many in the end.
Water quality is back to normal out there now as well.. Took few days of water change and attendance to get it there though.
I'd be content if one or two make it of the 5fry.

Noahsnana
05-17-2008, 09:43 AM
I think they survive better in the pond than in aquariums for people. All the spawns last years has reaped me about 40 little ones in the pond :rolleyes:

I used bait catchers to catch them and let them grow in the QT for a few months and returned them to the pond when cool weather was coming in. They survived the winter. I had a wonderful tiime hand feeding worms to these kids only now they won't let me in the pond but do come running when I call to them.

UnkleTim
05-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Is it bad to not want the babies?
I am on the same page.
I had no idea they hatched that quickly though.

megatron
05-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Its happen to me last summer, but I decided to remove all. It will be harmful to other kois especially when the water condition turn bad. Just watch up on your water quality :eek1:

Wolfscout1
05-17-2008, 03:23 PM
hrm ... I really would only care to keep 2 if that many....
Actually kinda glad nature took the rest..... I'm not wanting to be a breeder and "distributor" .
I have the pond and watergarden as a pleasureable hobby not for profit or gain except our own happiness and comfort.
Spawning == I've always viewed as a necessary evil to having them.
Now, it's one I wish I could have prevented.
but I have 5fry so will try to see what I can do with them..
a challenge.. sometimes I Like them.

Wolfscout1
05-29-2008, 04:52 AM
I still have the 5 fry. some very unusual color markings and placements starting to show up that are on none of the others in the tank.
this shall be interesting to watch how they develop.

I've also been really surprised how fast they are growing...
It's near 3 weeks and they are nearly 3/4ths inch long.
couple pics from earlier today.

Wolfscout1
06-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Today was interesting....... I've been so concerned trying to keep the 5 fry alive ... well ... today I went out and cleaned the cattail and lillie container that is right next to the pond.
I found two very nice fry in it that are much bigger than the 5 I have inside.
ok.. no filter , no aeration, no nothing.. just some water from the hose once or twice a week for those cattails mostly.
gee and after all my hard work and stuff just to have the 5. :confused:

so now I have 7 inside in the aquarium.. if they all survive that more than doubles my herd. lol

Ya'll have a good day.

:harhar:

Shorty
06-03-2008, 02:56 AM
Today was interesting....... I've been so concerned trying to keep the 5 fry alive ... well ... today I went out and cleaned the cattail and lillie container that is right next to the pond.
I found two very nice fry in it that are much bigger than the 5 I have inside.
ok.. no filter , no aeration, no nothing.. just some water from the hose once or twice a week for those cattails mostly.
gee and after all my hard work and stuff just to have the 5. :confused:

so now I have 7 inside in the aquarium.. if they all survive that more than doubles my herd. lol

Ya'll have a good day.

:harhar:

I cleaned my barrel filter today, and pulled out 5 of 1" fry from there. Seems like they shoot those eggs everywhere !

Wolfscout1
06-09-2008, 05:43 AM
I've really been surprised how fast these buggers are growing. still can't focus in with my cheap camera but they are over an inch long now.....
They are a bit over a month old now .
A total of 7. two of those appear to be turning out very nicely to suit me.
Can't tell if any are going to be Butterfly koi like their mom.
Don't know when that starts to show....:confused: I've read it's soon but doesn't look like it in this case.

Ya'll have a good day.

Wolfscout1
06-30-2008, 05:33 PM
They've really grown the last three weeks... I'm looking at taking them outside to a quarantine tank I've been working on sometime probably next week I think..
Maybe they can grow large enough to go into the main pond by fall.. hopefully.

tyco4357
07-01-2008, 08:02 PM
When they get to about an inch you can put them back in the pond and they will be fine. As long as the other koi see them as fish, they won't bother them. You don't have to keep them in an aquarium anymore, unless you don't have the room in the pond.

DebbieKSW
07-01-2008, 08:11 PM
You will most probably find they do better in the pond too.
Thanks for the updates.

Wolfscout1
07-01-2008, 08:44 PM
It's more being concerned about them getting sucked into the skimmer or the bottom drain than I am worried about them with the older fish.

I figure they can get a bit larger by spring in the freezer quarantine tank i have.. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.. it's already set up and waiting on the weekend for the move.