PDA

View Full Version : When separate tobies? Cannibalism prevention

Shorty
05-01-2008, 12:42 AM
I have some that are around 1", and others that are still barely 1/4". Have heard that the big ones (tobie or toby?) need to be seperated at some point to prevent them from eating their siblings -- anyone know how to tell when to ? Or any comments on if really have to ?

Billy
05-01-2008, 11:21 AM
I started out with 117 wakin fry and ended up with 7 due to tobie's.
If you want to save the fish remove the tobie's.

Shorty
05-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the info -- decided to drain the tank this morning and see what was in it. Have only seen the really tiny fry up to this point, like 1/4" long. When the water was about half way down, I saw a monster tobie, it is about 1-1/4" long and it was near the edge being very still. A small 1/4" fry with neat colors swam up to it, and GULP. AAARRRGGGG!!!! When I finally got to the bottom of the tank, I discovered there were about 20 tobies living in the depths, and only about 200 of the small fry left. Started out with easily a thousand or two. The process of draining the tank killed about 50 or more fry too.

rainblood
05-02-2008, 05:43 PM
The pretty ones are always the first to die. Seperate 'em and take some pics :D:

dick benbow
05-03-2008, 07:48 PM
on the farm we netted the mudponds once a month and culled thru them. each month we would size the koi and place in appropriate separate ponds.
The first two months are critical and that's when you have to have some kind of live food like daphnia or brine shrimp. Once you get them onto mini pellets
and over an inch in length you'll be alright