PDA

View Full Version : Fry and their egg sac...

sgarbett
04-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Hi everyone. I am a newbie to raising fry. I have several hundred babie fry that hatched Sunday. Most are hanging out on the bottom or stuck to the sides of the tank while others are swiming around. My question is.. how long does it take for the fry to obsorb their egg sac?? I don't know when to start feeding?? Sonnie

Just Jessie
04-16-2008, 10:59 AM
When the sack is absorbed and they are all free swimming, at least thats what I do.

rainblood
04-16-2008, 12:10 PM
We love pics :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

sgarbett
04-16-2008, 01:02 PM
I would love to post pictures for you. Being a newbie I know the current housing conditions are not right. They are sooo small. I am terrified about water changing or moving the fry to a more suited home. I will try to get pics for you. This is the first spawning from my two Butterfly Koi. I was caught completly by surprise. The water temp was barely 65 and they didn't start the hanky panky until late morning into early afternoon. I will post pictures of the parents also. Maybe someone will give me more detail on their proper Koi names and what posibly to expect if any fry live??

rainblood
04-18-2008, 06:03 PM
How are they coming along bub?

bigtylor
04-18-2008, 11:33 PM
There are a few threads on here of people and their spawns. Watch the ammonia. I found out the hard way, it shoots up WAY FAST.

rainblood
04-23-2008, 01:21 PM
I assume by your silence and lack of pics that either (1) fry are all dead or (2) you're too busy to post because you've got ten thousand fry you're carin' for. Which one is it :D:

sgarbett
04-26-2008, 11:55 AM
Sorry I have not responded sooner. You are right on one account. I have been working a lot. I do however have roughly 100 or so fry still with me. I have around 30 in a aquarium in the house. Which gives me the GREATEST of pleasure being able to observe their development. They are sooooo cute!!!! The rest I have put outside, in my pond, in a self made containment box. It, believe it or not, is made of wood and pantyhose. Thats right PANTYHOSE!! Please don't ask for a picture of this. It is not an attractive thing. It does however do the job for now. I did this so I could see which developes better and faster. As far as posting pictures are concerned. I am quite illeterate with computer downloads and such. My husband also had the camera out of town with him. He is back now. I will see if he will post a picture or two for everyone. Sonnie

sgarbett
04-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Just a small picture of some fry. Sorry about the quality.

BekkoIsTheBest
04-27-2008, 02:10 PM
cute!

rainblood
04-28-2008, 11:06 AM
They look great! What are you feeding them?

sgarbett
04-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Thanks. I had some string algae in the pond (yuk). I put that in the tank with them for about the first week. They munched on whatever was living in it. I changed the moss every couple of days. Did water changes every three days. After that I gave them fresh water hyacinth from the pond, some frozen baby brine shrimp and crushed (powdered) Koi pellets. They are starting to all gather around now when I put the Koi pellets in. I have the best time watching them. I am also the proud parent of several thousand Goldfish fry.:yahoo:

rainblood
04-28-2008, 04:31 PM
:yahoo: :clap: :yahoo: :clap: :D:

sgarbett
04-30-2008, 11:52 AM
When do they get their colors?? They are 3 weeks old now. I can see all of their developing "guts" if you will. I have been looking for their whiskers to. I guess those are just to small to see. There are a few that are getting big while others are growing at a slower rate. I hope that is normal!!

rainblood
04-30-2008, 05:04 PM
There are going to be Tobies - which will outgrow and eat their siblings. They should be getting colors in the next few weeks. If your spawn is like most, you will end up with crappy colors :D: Showas tend to be black as youngsters. Kohaku's look yellowish where the red is supposed to be. Keep us updated with progress :cool: