PDA

View Full Version : My first successful fry hatch

Shorty
04-10-2008, 07:18 PM
This is the third spawning I have tried to hatch koi eggs. First failed from fungus, every single egg bit the dust. The 2nd spawn had the eggs develop eyes but wouldn't go beyond that. This spawn hatched 3 days ago and they are still alive -- THANKS TO KOIPHEN !!! Learned a ton here, its a great community.

BekkoIsTheBest
04-10-2008, 07:36 PM
:cool:

bigtylor
04-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Very :cool: Be sure to watch your ammonia. It will spike VERY FAST. And don't be disappointed if you lose alot. Some will surely survive. :) We had our first spawn where we actually knew we had a spawn and could pull eggs. We still have about 40 fry alive a year later.

vipldy
04-10-2008, 10:20 PM
:cool: Keep us updated!!

Marie

Just Jessie
04-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Very nice, congrats

PapaBear
04-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Kuul...
We're getting ready to have our 3rd annual spawn pretty soon. So far we've had decent success, and this year we HOPE to control who breeds with whom a little better.

lomaponder
04-11-2008, 09:35 AM
My pond spawn must of happen around the same time as yours because when I looked at that picture, I thought I was looking into my tub with all those two little eye dots looking back up at me.:cool3:

Question: Have them on egg yolk. I read an AKCA article that stated to use brine sprimp as next food entry. Is this a necessary step or can I go straight to ground-up koi food?

rainblood
04-11-2008, 10:43 AM
This is where the hard part begins....

Jeff Speck
04-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Matt, the initial inch or two of growth is critical for healthy fish of a desirable quality. You can use ground food at this stage but they won't grow much. Many will have stunted growth and deformity caused by slow early growth. And the rot produced by egg yolk and uneaten ground food will give you ammonia and headaches and possibly bacteria/trichodina/fungus/etc. Live food is essential because the fry are excited by the movement and it doesn't foul the water. Brine shrimp are good but expensive and a little bit of a hassle. Moina (small daphnia also called water fleas) are probably the best way to go. Can purchase many sizes of daphnia through AES, or scoop some out of a natural pond or lake. Feed green water to the daphnia/moina in a seperate tub to get the population thriving and then scoop them as needed into your fry tank. All you need to know about daphnia can be found here:

http://www.caudata.org/daphnia/

JoesPonds.com
04-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Congrats. Now the real fun begins...

Shorty
04-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I should have setup a culture of daphnia, but have hatched out some goldfish fry with tons of brine shrimp, so figured even though it is labor intensive, it is rather reliable (for me) and am using that method.

PapaBear -- I recall seeing a video that I belive was yours, the babies were eating some dough ball looking food from your hand. Is there a chance you could share your recipe on that?

Also what other foods should I feed after they get past the brine shrimp stage?

Thanks
Shorty

Jeff Speck
04-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Shorty--

Freeze-dried krill is good. High protein koi foods. Dainichi/Toyoma makes very small "baby" pellets of their "Growth" formula. There are a few other manufacturers that produce a tiny high-protein pellet. A cheap coffee grinder will turn krill or any pellets into fine particles depending on the size you need.

Shorty
04-14-2008, 01:21 AM
Noticed something today - about 200 fry were on the surface, laying on their sides. Looks like they had some kind of bubble in their intestines, or just south of their anal port. If I blew a puff of air on the surface of the water to startle them, they would swim down, and then float back up. Only about 200 are doing this, there are easily a thousand or more that are looking normal.

Any ideas on what causes this?

rainblood
04-15-2008, 12:42 PM
How are they doing?

Shorty
04-16-2008, 01:50 AM

How are they doing?

They are doing good -- in the morning, they are all swimming around just fine. About 2pm I get a bunch of floaters, and by 6pm there are a bunch floating. About 10pm, there are still a bunch floating. Then next morning they all seem to be swimming just fine again. Have only found a few dead so far. (knock on wood). They are in an above ground tank and I think the temperature goes up and inflates their swim bladder, and it looks like food coming out their rear end has an air bubble around it. Well, I should say the air bubble just behind their "guts", and just in front of their anal port.

Have only found a few dead, like 10 maybe. Not sure if the floaters are recovering in the middle of the night, or if they are dying and sinking to the bottom.

I have a small batch (like 100 or so) from the same spawn in a 55 gallon barrel. They took an extra day or two to hatch, and the barrel is in the shade. I super sterilized the barrel and used malachite green in the water just before adding the eggs in the barrel. None of the barrel fry are floating. The barrel is also in the shade, and has much less density.

This is day 12 since the fry in the main tank hatched.

Thanks
Shorty

Shorty
06-03-2008, 02:33 AM
The fry have been showing some color.

Here are some of the tobies I seperated to let the smaller ones grow.

Kept the tobies in an aquarium

Big culling day - drained entire tank and sorted all of them.

Found a super tobie swimming around in the bottom of the tank, he is HUGE compared to the others, wonder how many he has gobbled up.

Shorty
06-03-2008, 02:50 AM
So here is the breakdown so far:

Started with thousand or two.
Counted 458 today

29 might be nice mutts
183 might pass for low pond grade
246 are definately culls

One of them has 3 vertical stripes on it's starboard side, perfectly symetrical - one stripe in the middle, one just behind it's head, and the other on the meat section of the tail. It's other side is a sneezer pattern. Have another that has the 3 stripes on the port side.

DebbieKSW
06-03-2008, 03:05 AM
It sopunds like good fun even if work intensive.
Good luck.

1USAVET
06-14-2008, 02:39 AM
Thanks for the info on the daphnia, Jeff.

Shorty
06-18-2008, 04:43 PM
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aKF1du31gfw"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aKF1du31gfw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Here is a short video clip of feeding my fry today. I seperated my fry into 2 tanks, this one has the tobies plus the solid color and light colored koi. The other tank has the dark and colorful ones, but they aren't as eager to eat out of my hand.

rainblood
06-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Can you post pics of the parents or was this a group spawn?

Shorty
06-19-2008, 10:00 AM

Mom 1

Mom 2

Dad 1

Dad 2

Parents are somewhat of a mix, I am going for unique mutts, not trying to produce anything specific.

rainblood
06-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Good learning experience to say the least. Looks like you'll have some well fertilized palm trees :D:

Keep us updated with growth pics :cool:

PapaBear
06-21-2008, 11:35 AM
...Looks like you'll have some well fertilized palm trees :D: ... :cool:

:Drogar-Laugh(LBG): ROFLMAO

Your female bekko doesn't look bad, but the males look rough and/or a poor match for either female. Cull exclusively for Bekko babies imho, and feed the rest to the trees (or any juvenile Koi you may have).

PapaBear
06-21-2008, 11:48 AM
PapaBear -- I recall seeing a video that I belive was yours, the babies were eating some dough ball looking food from your hand. Is there a chance you could share your recipe on that?

Also what other foods should I feed after they get past the brine shrimp stage?

Thanks
Shorty

I'm sorry to be so late responding to this, but somehow I missed it until now:dumb:

I started them out with ordinary powdered food, moistened enough to form a dough ball. I have a snail infestation (prolific little buggers) so I mash a bunch of snails up with the paste to jump up the protein and give them a taste for es cargo:D: . (when the koi get up to 2 or 3" the snail population will drop precipitously...:cool3: )
Once they are around 1-2" I start making a mixture of powdered food, whole cooked shrimp, fresh veggies (leftovers from dinner;) ), and the like pulverized together in a food processor along with some Orange Juice. Then I freeze it on a cookie sheet and break it up into chunks like peanut brittle. They go absolutely ape for it, it makes a great way to train them to hand feed and you always get a good look at them while they grow.

Shorty
06-22-2008, 02:54 AM
:Drogar-Laugh(LBG): ROFLMAO

Your female bekko doesn't look bad, but the males look rough and/or a poor match for either female. Cull exclusively for Bekko babies imho, and feed the rest to the trees (or any juvenile Koi you may have).

Thanks for the compliment on the quality of the fish !! They are all walmart specials. (extensive QT ofcourse).

And thanks for the dough ball recipe too -- I have been doing a similar recipe, glad to hear you are doing the same. I also add a little brown sugar and strawberry jelly, got that from my carp fishing days.

Shorty
07-01-2008, 06:24 PM

We did our first intentional cull today. Removed all the white, solid orange, and kohaku, kept all the sneezer speklegoi to develop them more. Down to about 100, maybe 150, didn't count them. Seemed like a lot less than last time I drained the tanks and removed some tobies.

They are about 2.25" long, except for 2 huge tobies at 4". I removed those to another tank just incase they could fit some of the smaller ones in their mouths.

Some of them have real mutt potential !! Their colors & patterns have changed & developed a lot since a month ago.

Celeste
07-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Hi Shorty! I just joined today. :) I wouldn't have the heart to cull...but I just adore my little babies and of course I don't have hundreds of babies to figure out what I'm going to do with them LOL. Keep posting, I had fun reading this thread. :D

Celeste

Shorty
07-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Did another culling yesterday, here are some photos of some of the fry. A few are up to 4", while a few are still down at just under an inch. Most at 2" or just a little bigger. Their colors are showing better each month. I found one I am very excited about, it is a grey / blue doitsu with a large red patch on it's head, plus couple other little red patches. Its still rather small so long ways to go, and too small to get a good photo with my crummy camera.

Shorty
07-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Short video of my koi tanks

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D91Luo6u7l8"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D91Luo6u7l8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

rainblood
07-23-2008, 04:21 PM
Very cool insight

Shorty
07-30-2008, 02:54 AM

These are some that I am keeping to grow out for a while. Am amazed at the variety of color, some of them are yellow and none of the parents had any yellow.

rainblood
07-30-2008, 10:22 AM
:cool:

tyco4357
07-30-2008, 10:37 AM
What is the setting you use on your camera to take pics of fry? Every time I try, comes out blurry or not clear. I have them in a white bowl and am having a very tough time. Tried auto, didn't work, tried to adjust settings but not doing it right. Any suggestions? tried with flash and without

Shorty
07-31-2008, 02:21 PM

My camera is a rather crummy one, its only a 1024 x 768 resolution and 8 years old so this is about as good a quality picture as I can get. I imagine with a real camera that has a higher pixel capacity, it is just a matter of point and shoot.

This picture I think is just about the best picture of the fry I have taken. It has the fry in a blue water jug that has had the top cut off -- I found the jug on an abandon golf course we were doing a koi rescue at.

The light comes in the side of the container, and I have another light shining on the other side, and to cut down on the reflective glare from above, I put a piece of cardboard on top of the jug -- that cardboard has a peep hole which I use to shoot the picture thru.

Still the pictures are crummy, I saw in another thread (from Greg something - platinum koi) that he has a very elaborate photo setup. He has a special tank to put the fish in, several lights surrounding it, and a camera on a tripod. Has pictures of his photo setup in his thread.

What is the setting you use on your camera to take pics of fry? Every time I try, comes out blurry or not clear. I have them in a white bowl and am having a very tough time. Tried auto, didn't work, tried to adjust settings but not doing it right. Any suggestions? tried with flash and without

Midorigoi
07-31-2008, 11:14 PM
Oh wow! They look really nice!
Do I see a goromo? Last pic fry on the bottom right :yes:

jhamil4ton
08-05-2008, 08:56 PM

My camera is a rather crummy one, its only a 1024 x 768 resolution and 8 years old so this is about as good a quality picture as I can get. I imagine with a real camera that has a higher pixel capacity, it is just a matter of point and shoot.

This picture I think is just about the best picture of the fry I have taken. It has the fry in a blue water jug that has had the top cut off -- I found the jug on an abandon golf course we were doing a koi rescue at.

The light comes in the side of the container, and I have another light shining on the other side, and to cut down on the reflective glare from above, I put a piece of cardboard on top of the jug -- that cardboard has a peep hole which I use to shoot the picture thru.

Still the pictures are crummy, I saw in another thread (from Greg something - platinum koi) that he has a very elaborate photo setup. He has a special tank to put the fish in, several lights surrounding it, and a camera on a tripod. Has pictures of his photo setup in his thread.

Very cool picture. Are a few of your little ones gin rin? I really like the set up you've been using. Thanks for the insight.

steveamy
08-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Cool learning experience. Thanks for the updates.

Shorty
08-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Very cool picture. Are a few of your little ones gin rin? I really like the set up you've been using. Thanks for the insight.

Yes, a bunch of them are gin rin -- the shiro bekko mother had gin rin scales. And of the fry, about 10% have gin rin scales, but that can't be used as an overall percentage because I have had so many losses that not sure what originally had.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments.

Shorty

dant
11-19-2008, 06:52 AM
what do you feed them to get them in such quick growth rates. ?

Shorty
11-20-2008, 11:00 AM
what do you feed them to get them in such quick growth rates. ?

Started with tons of brine shrimp, 3 times a day. Then moved over to powdered pellets & flake, and then up to just pellets and ... cat food. My fry haven't grown as fast as other people's fry, here at koiphen.

Shorty

ColumbiaWaterGardens.com
11-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Those are really nice, I have a spare pond that I'm not using, and thought I'd give breeding a shot... Still learning as much as I can before I start. :confused: