PDA

View Full Version : Tooooooo Many!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lorebitzer
04-06-2008, 10:51 AM
I have Tiger Lilies (a.k.a. ditch lilies) that are taking over everything. I dig and dig to get rid of them and I can't! They pop up everywhere. Any ideas?:no:

Noahsnana
04-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Are you digging up the tubers?

TNKoiGrl
04-16-2008, 03:12 AM
LOL I have the same problem with some type of mint I planted...big mistake..I replaced my potato vines with it when I heard that they were poisonous and not to put around ponds. :( Thant mint is about to carry us off. Not sure what kind it was...but when you rub the leaf it reminds me of soap of all things.
Patti

bigtylor
04-16-2008, 08:22 AM
You could post them in trader forum. Many people would probably be willing to pay shipping for them.:)

majederr
04-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Had the same problem 2 years ago. Moved as many tubers as I could find to another location, but still we find strays all around

lorebitzer
04-16-2008, 08:48 AM
Had the same problem 2 years ago. Moved as many tubers as I could find to another location, but still we find strays all around

I have been digging and digging for 2 yrs. now. I want to keep SOME of them but they multiply all year long. I guess I'll just have to keep digging all year long..........:no:

Thanks
lore

Just Jessie
04-16-2008, 11:04 AM
Do you have any pictures of them in bloom?

lorebitzer
04-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Do you have any pictures of them in bloom?

No, sorry. I'm one of the poor people who don't have a digital camera. Although I have mentioned it so much to my husband that I just might be getting one soon just to shut me up!
They are really pretty in bloom, but they are a member of the daylilies, which means that each flower only lasts one day. Luckily though they have alot of flowers on each tall stem.

lore

GHouse
04-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Tiger lilys are nice. I could think of a worse curse. You must be in the south. Here in Upstate New York my problem is Posion Ivy! I have beat it out of the main yards, but it is all in my wood area. There's always round-up.

lorebitzer
04-16-2008, 11:32 AM
Actually I live in MIchigan. They are only a curse because I have a small garden and like other plants as well. I guess the plant gods do seem to think I need the other ones! lol
Wouldn't rounup kill the plants around it?

lore

olemacdee
04-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Lore,
Round up will kill them and everything around them. You have to be very careful with overspray. Be sure that there is no wind if you are going to spray. I have Tiger Lilies as well. They definitely spread like crazy and I live in North Dakota. I have several planting beds around my trees. I plant the Tiger Lilies around the base of the trees and also against the house. It hides the foundation walls and makes a nice background because they are very tall when in bloom. I do have to digout the runners each spring and sometimes during the summer, but they sell very well in the plant sales we do. I always warn before selling them, but when they see how I have mine, they want to do the same.
Ole

Noahsnana
04-27-2008, 03:25 PM
I moved them to my pond walls to stablize it

gander
04-28-2008, 01:42 AM
Are you sure your talking about Tiger lilies? Tiger lilies and day lilies are quite different. Tiger lilies are tall. They can make a mass bed but its sounds more like you are talking about old fashioned orange daylily.
this is a tiger lily.

DoubleS
04-28-2008, 08:09 AM
If they really are tiger lilies, not day lilies....I'd love to take some off your hands :cool: I bought 3 tiny plants last year and they are barely hanging on. Not spreading like I had hoped. I saved them a good sized spot in one of my gardens.

lorebitzer
04-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Are you sure your talking about Tiger lilies? Tiger lilies and day lilies are quite different. Tiger lilies are tall. They can make a mass bed but its sounds more like you are talking about old fashioned orange daylily.
this is a tiger lily.

okay, I guess I have orange daylilies, but they are really tall. The stems for the flowers get taller than me.
I do have 1 tiger lily, I now know, that is in an entirely different area that I didn't even plant!:clap: It's very pretty. Hope it multiplies! Did I say that?:no:

I live in a mobile home community ( a fancy way of saying trailer park) lol and set some lilies out in a box of dirt with a free sign that said "spread rapidly" and they went pretty fast, so I'm just gonna do that. Maybe it will make someone else's yard nice!

loretta

TNKoiGrl
05-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Sounds like a great idea...and i am sure will be appreciated.

waterlilli
05-26-2009, 07:20 PM
this is what mine looked like lst year

IMSALSMOM
05-26-2009, 07:23 PM
are these them??

Just Jessie
05-26-2009, 10:54 PM
I have some tiger lily seeds some of you sent me. I planted them, so far nothing has come up. I am so bummed. Mine all died and I loved them the best or all myu flowers, and I am having trouble finding any in this area.

waterlilli
05-27-2009, 08:44 AM
there ya go jessie i can send you some of those i have tons lol

Jenkins
08-12-2009, 03:13 PM
if you want to spray roundup with out worrying about drift killing other plants you can brush it on the plants you want to kill or if using a sprayer, rubberband a sock over the nozzle and mop it on