PDA

View Full Version : My lone female female lays eggs

mars
03-11-2008, 06:02 AM
My girl sure made a mess!!!!! :Groaner:

I have a 125 gal aquarium in the house with one lonely butterfly koi female. She has grown way to big for the tank, she is 22" long form mouth to tail tip (way to big for tank).:eek1:
I KNOW I NEED TO BUILD A POUND

Last friday night she laied eggs and what a mess it is. I did two water changes on Saterday (alittle over 50% each time ). Then again about 65% change one on Sunday PM and also tonight Monday. The water is looking and smelling a bit better, but more is needed.
Does anyone have suggestions to treat water while I am try to clean up the mess? I saw in one thread to add an anti-fungal or anti-bactiral agent to the water? I did add some TETRA POND which helps to control external parasites, bacteria and fungus.

BYW This is the second time she has laied eggs. The first time she did last year after I lost 5 of her tank mates.

Any and all help gladly accepted
Marlene

stephen
03-11-2008, 06:38 AM
My girl sure made a mess!!!!! :Groaner:

I have a 125 gal aquarium in the house with one lonely butterfly koi female. She has grown way to big for the tank, she is 22" long form mouth to tail tip (way to big for tank).:eek1:
I KNOW I NEED TO BUILD A POUND

Last friday night she laied eggs and what a mess it is. I did two water changes on Saterday (alittle over 50% each time ). Then again about 65% change one on Sunday PM and also tonight Monday. The water is looking and smelling a bit better, but more is needed.
Does anyone have suggestions to treat water while I am try to clean up the mess? I saw in one thread to add an anti-fungal or anti-bactiral agent to the water? I did add some TETRA POND which helps to control external parasites, bacteria and fungus.

BYW This is the second time she has laied eggs. The first time she did last year after I lost 5 of her tank mates.

Any and all help gladly accepted
Marlene

Keep going with the water changes. Sounds like you are on top of it.

mars
03-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Keep going with the water changes. Sounds like you are on top of it.

Thanks for the encouragement :bow:

one of this days I need to get help for the construction group to try to make plans for a pond. I have been needing to make one for years but have put it off .... to scard to start, to many so-so ideas with not enough cash and not enough courage to start a project.... DIG THAT HOLE!!!!!!

Landon90
03-11-2008, 02:30 PM
I have built a pond recently nothing special just 6x6x3 squared . No bd's which im sure alot would disagree with. But I have the time to maintain it . It took me a weekend from start to finish and im running a uv/bio filter fountain pump and waterfall pump for right now.I am getting a 55 gal bio filter shortly. IF you want more info or help from me let me know. I am seventeen and renting so couldnt make a full scale proffesional pond =[ but it works for me. Wish i had some eggs:cry:

Popfish
03-11-2008, 02:44 PM
You can buy nice Rubbermaid tanks for your purpose up to 1000 gal & very inexpensively. Then outfit it with bottom drains, filters & pump & you would be all set.

rainblood
03-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Or an 8x8 kiddie pool

Luck
03-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Or these: http://www.venturakoifarm.com/subcat79.html:

GHouse
03-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Rubbermaid makes tanks larger than 300 gallons? Are you sure?

Luck
03-11-2008, 09:16 PM
I have seen a 1000 gallon plastic tank, but I am not sure who made it. It was about six feet tall by 10 foot round!!! Come to think of it, it must have been more gallons than that.

mars
03-12-2008, 03:54 AM
Thanks for the ideas. :cool:

I dont want a round tank :no: but I have thought about trying to convert two large shower stalls end to end and linning it with the pond linning. I have seen the filters you place in the bottom of the tanks but I am not sure of all the work in keeping the tank clean. I know how much work it is trying to keep my 125 gal aquarium up. It is almost impossible to keep the water chemisty in acceptable ranges!!!!
My water right for the tap tested with Jungle 6 in one test strips
Nitrate 20 (mg/l)
Nitrite 5 (mg/l)
Hardness (GH) 150 ppm
Chlorine 0 (mg/l)
Alkalinity (KH) between 180 and 300 ppm
PH 8.4

mars
03-12-2008, 04:08 AM
I still keep flip-flopping over a in ground pond deep hole pond and a raised more formal tank/pond. I also think about putting rectangle tank on my pattio. I love looking at all the neat ones that all the members have made and are posting here. I do not have a great imagenation and can't see my back yard landscaped into a fish's dream come true.
I have dogs which would love to swim and there are Egrids and other birds which whould love to go fishing. OH WHAT TO DO??????