PDA

View Full Version : beginner plants for aquarium - help me learn

cindy
02-26-2008, 03:50 PM
I found a good site http://www.aquariumplants.com/Beginner_Plants_s/17.htm

Do they have to be in pots? I don't want gravel :no: Maybe my tank will be prettier and healthier.

Pond James_Pond
02-26-2008, 08:31 PM
In a goldfish tank, Cindy? What kind of light hood and how many watts is the tube?

steve

birdman
02-26-2008, 09:01 PM
Sounds like your thinking of doing what I am doing. I have been working on lighting combinations for both goldfish and plants. The right spectrum for plants really makes the goldfish look bad, and the best bulb (pictured) for goldfish won't grow a thing. So what I am working on is one set of me n fish lights for the day, and one set of plant lights at night when I'm sleeping. I'll let you know what I come up with, By the way, I tried 6 different bulbs for the goldfish and this one was way better than any of the rest. It really brings out the colors in the goldfish.

Pond James_Pond
02-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Does this bulb list the k number? Like 6700k or 10,000?

steve

DesertPonder
02-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Personally, I've never been able to keep live aquarium plants with goldies. I gave up trying. There is one plant (sorry, I can't remember now what it is) that they won't readily eat but I never had any luck getting them to grow.:rolleyes: I did seem to have a little bit better luck with the plants in pots rather than loose in the gravel.

birdman
02-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Does this bulb list the k number? Like 6700k or 10,000?

steve
No it dosn't, but it's not a good plant bulb. I'm using 6500 K for plant bulbs.

kitfoxdrvr
02-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Cindy:

What kind of fish are you planning on keeping? We can tailor a flora plan for you depending on the fauna. If it is goldfish, they will nibble on many plants, but not all.

If you have lots of plants, having a substrate may not be a problem as wherever roots go, oxygen goes as well (plant roots respire same as the rest of the plant), so no nasty gasses. A few of the plants at the link you posted do not require gravel and can attach to rockwork or driftwood (java fern and Anubias are great like this), but really the only reason to go sans gravel is if you are raising discus that require pristine water and frequent water changes, or you just plan on vacuuming the bottom regularly to remove uneaten food. Gravel does a great job of hiding mulm and it provides a great substrate for bacteria. In a normal community aquarium, the only way gravel can cause a problem is through neglect. And after reading many of your posts here, I doubt you are one to neglect any of your aquatic friends!

Steve

cindy
02-28-2008, 03:25 PM
I have goldies and just the light I bought with the aquarium. No gravel. Ever.

kitfoxdrvr
02-28-2008, 03:32 PM
I have goldies and just the light I bought with the aquarium. No gravel. Ever.

Then the Anubias and Java fern can be attached to rocks and driftwood and make for a very pleasing to look at aquascape, with no gravel. Only the hungriest goldfish will eat these, and they will survive under most any lighting. Attach them with monfilament line or rubber bands (I like rubber bands as they start disintegrating at about the same time the roots of these two have attached themselves to the substrate). Some people will set a tank up this way and spread a VERY think layer of sand or gravel on the bottom just to hide the glass, but is not at all necessary. Post us some pics as you proceed; I have seen some very nice gf tanks set up this way!

Steve

birdman
03-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Cindy, here's what I ended up doing. Four 48', 40 watt Color Max bulbs to bring out the colors in the fish, and 5 of the 6500 K 100 watt rated compact florescents.