PDA

View Full Version : Planned spawning using sibling Koi...

JoesPonds.com
02-21-2008, 04:19 PM
I'm considering whether or not to breed a pair of yamikazi doitsu lemon hariwakes this spring, the problem is, I believe they're actually siblings from the same spawn. Are there any known issues associated with using siblings in a planned koi spawning? Any input is appreciated...

JoesPonds.com
02-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Has anyone here ever bred Koi that were siblings from the same spawn? If so, what was the result?

Cowiche Ponder
02-27-2008, 12:02 PM
Just using knowledge from dog and rabbit breeding which I don't know if it's at all connected :D:

There are so many variables in genes that a fish (rabbit :rolleyes:) can get from the parents that even siblings in a spawn/litter might not be that closely related. What we see in rabbits that it will bring out the best and worst traits of a line. Culling must be heavy and without compromise.

Now I could be all wet.... :D:

rainblood
02-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Inbreeding is never a good idea :nono: from a gentic or moral standpoint.

Midorigoi
02-27-2008, 04:15 PM
Inbreeding is not good, but when koi were first produced they did breed closely related fish to one-another to get desirable traits. But there really is no need to inbreed now that the varieties are established.

Zac Penn
02-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Inbreeding is not good, but when koi were first produced they did breed closely related fish to one-another to get desirable traits. But there really is no need to inbreed now that the varieties are established.

There is if these are the only high quality fish he wants to breed together. I would say go for it, but I wouldn't try and sell them for much until you know how they will develop.

I don't think I have any moral issues with inbred fish but with humans I DO!