PDA

View Full Version : dwarf seahorses

MikeST
01-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Anyone ever have luck with dwarf seahorses?

I was thinking of giving it a try. I designed what I think is a cool system for filtering. But I went on a different forum...and after a while I got the people there to admit that after initial success...they were never able to go beyond the first generation of babies before losing everything.

I cant remember the forum...
Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts

Mike

Wrekdyvr
01-23-2008, 12:18 PM
You may want to chck out www.seahorse.com and www.seahorse.org. Good luck, they are fascinating creatures.

zqk
01-23-2008, 12:49 PM
I had dwarf seahorses about 30 years ago they did well until my younger sister decided to feed them for me bananas and salt water do not mix well.:eek1:

Tristan
01-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Seahorses of drawf or large size can be a headache, but if they eat food you will have bout 75% of the headache cleared up. They are very fussy and a lot of them will not eat any foods once in captivity, and others will only eat live foods or certain frozen foods......They like a tall deep tank over a typical fish tank, and the so called 29 bio cubes and the regular 30 and 33 and 37 and greater all glass cubes are ideal for seahorses and even a pencil fish or so as tank mates...........Do yourself a favor an do not buy them mailorder no matter what the website says. Buy only from a LFS locally and insist on seeing them eat. While hatching out brine shrimp may not seem like much of a chore it gets old pretty fast, but if they eat frozen brine or mysid's thats fine, just make sure yuo can get them locally at a reasonable price. The one major LFS here that deals in SW only is the only one around that sells frozen mysid shrimp, and he gets 3X what other places gets for it, and he sells all he can for those that have seahorses and other critters that prefer that food......

misskris
02-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Tristan,

I have to argue!

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER, buy seahorses from an LFS. Buying SH from an LFS is like buying KOI off Ebay!

There are several, reputable breeders that specialize in breeding and raising captive bred seahorses. These are trained from an early age to eat frozen foods. Also, they kept in systems where they are not subjected to parasites.

As far as dwarves, they need to be fed several times a day and are the only horses that have never sucsessfully switched to frozen foods. So hatching brine shrimp daily is a chore. Visit, www.seahorse.org , there are several members there that have raised several generations of these cute lil guys.