PDA

View Full Version : Toshio Sakai in Seminar February 23-24 2008

Russell Peters
01-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Mr. Toshio Sakai of the Isawa Nishikigoi Center, one of the most notable and highly regarded Nishikigoi breeders in Japan, is coming to the San Francisco Bay Area in February 2008 to present another 2 day seminar on Nishikigoi. The first day will feature a series of lectures by Mr. Sakai followed by a banquet, and the second day of the seminar will feature a judging competition for the participants. The judging we be with Koi provided for the event by Mr. Sakai. The Grand Prize for the winner is TBA by Peters and Sons Koi. The Camellia Koi Club will hold this educational event at the Sheraton Hotel in Pleasanton California(near the Oakland airport). They are able to present the event through the generosity of Peters and Sons Koi, the event sponsor and Grand Prize provider. All proceeds from this event benefit the Camellia Koi Club, a non-profit organization.

In 1974 the Matsunosuke bloodline was created by the Sakai family. After many years of development, Matsunosuke Koi became the All Japan Koi Show Grand Champions in 1994, 1995, 1997 and 2002. Toshio Sakai went on to develope a Matsunosuke bloodline for Showa that has become highly respected and shows great quality because of the stability and depth of the Sumi. His knowledge and expertise in the selection of Nishikigoi will be shared with the participants of the Camellia Koi Club event. For more registration and hotel information please visit www.camelliakoi.org. This event will be limited to 80 participants.

Carl
01-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Sounds like a great event, Russ. I hope our west coast members make an effort to get there.

Russell Peters
01-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Sounds like a great event, Russ. I hope our west coast members make an effort to get there.

They are always welcome.:D: What about you East coast guys?:yes:

Carl
01-04-2008, 10:16 PM
They are always welcome.:D: What about you East coast guys?:yes:

I am sure that several of us might make it, but my schedule is much too busy right now for me to make it. I haven't even made an east coast event yet. :rolleyes:

Russell Peters
01-04-2008, 10:26 PM
I am sure that several of us might make it, but my schedule is much too busy right now for me to make it. I haven't even made an east coast event yet. :rolleyes:

We will have to work on finding a way to get you to something someday. :rolleyes: Maybe you need an assistant.:D:

Carl
01-04-2008, 10:29 PM
We will have to work on finding a way to get you to something someday. :rolleyes: Maybe you need an assistant.:D:

I have been thinking about making some changes. :yes:

Luck
01-04-2008, 10:31 PM
I have been thinking about making some changes. :yes:

more koi, less work. Good changes:yes:

Carl
01-04-2008, 10:32 PM
more koi, less work. Good changes:yes:

:D:

Russell Peters
01-04-2008, 10:58 PM
We have received several requests for seminar topics so far and they have been forwarded to Mr. Sakai. the response was "Excellant". if you have any questions you would like answered or any topics discussed please feel free to post them here or e-mail them to us at peters@pskoi.com.
Here are the requests that have been submitted so far;

1). Shiroji - What are the different types (for Sakai Koi), and what do you look for starting at Tosai?

2). Water Quality - What parameters are best for Mr. Sakai's Koi to reach their full potential? Does it change with each season?

3). Condition - when there is good growth in Mr.Sakai's Koi during the summer months, what do you look for in the Beni, Shiroji and Sumi to indicate whether or not it is weak and failing or if the quality is good but the condition is down? Describe and show the four seasons of his Koi.

4). Quality - Discuss elastic and soft Beni, Showa Sumi, Sanke Sumi and the different bloodlines he uses including Magoi.

5). High quality Tosai and Nisai - How can one tell if it is a finished Koi or if it is a very high quality Koi and will continue to improve? A lot of Koi that come to the US look very nice but after a year or so the condition goes down.

6). Water Quality - Are there different water quality parameters needed for growing Koi as opposed to finishing Koi?

7). Mud Ponds - There are times when a Koi needs to be allowed time out of a mud pond andspend time in a cement pond? What are the signs that this needs to be done? Is there a point that a Koi will no longer benefit from growing in a mud pond? How does one recognize this?

hkmp5k
01-04-2008, 11:22 PM
Mr. Toshio Sakai of the Isawa Nishikigoi Center, one of the most notable and highly regarded Nishikigoi breeders in Japan, is coming to the San Francisco Bay Area in February 2008 to present another 2 day seminar on Nishikigoi. The first day will feature a series of lectures by Mr. Sakai followed by a banquet, and the second day of the seminar will feature a judging competition for the participants. The judging we be with Koi provided for the event by Mr. Sakai. The Grand Prize for the winner is TBA by Peters and Sons Koi. The Camellia Koi Club will hold this educational event at the Sheraton Hotel in Pleasanton California(near the Oakland airport). They are able to present the event through the generosity of Peters and Sons Koi, the event sponsor and Grand Prize provider. All proceeds from this event benefit the Camellia Koi Club, a non-profit organization.

In 1974 the Matsunosuke bloodline was created by the Sakai family. After many years of development, Matsunosuke Koi became the All Japan Koi Show Grand Champions in 1994, 1995, 1997 and 2002. Toshio Sakai went on to develope a Matsunosuke bloodline for Showa that has become highly respected and shows great quality because of the stability and depth of the Sumi. His knowledge and expertise in the selection of Nishikigoi will be shared with the participants of the Camellia Koi Club event. For more registration and hotel information please visit www.camellikoi.org. This event will be limited to 80 participants.

Hey Russ,
Your www.camellikoi.org link doesn't work. I know it is misspelled. I'll let you fix it...... :harhar:

Russell Peters
01-04-2008, 11:29 PM
Hey Russ,
Your www.camellikoi.org link doesn't work. I know it is misspelled. I'll let you fix it...... :harhar:

Sorry about that, it is fixed!:yahoo: :clap:

Russell Peters
01-05-2008, 01:58 PM
We are having pins made up for the event. Every one that attends will receive one of these. This is a rough draft and we did spell Camellia wrong. It was changed.:D:

Russell Peters
01-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Toshio Sakai was born in Mushigame of Yamakoshi Village in Niigata, Japan. After his apprenticeship of Koi breeding under his father, Toshio left Niigata for Isawa to become an independent Koi Breeder. He founded Isawa Nishikigoi Center at age 18. He succeeded the first breeding of Matsunosuke Sanshoku in Isawa. The offspring of the original Matsunosuke Sanshoku have received numerous awards. Among many, Chiba Grand Championship, Saitama Grand Championship, kanto Koshin-Chiku Grand Championship, and all Japan Nishikigoi Shinkou-Kai Kokugyo (national fish) awards and grand Championship.

While developing solid award records, Matsunosuke Sanshoku siblings continued to spawn for over thirty eight years and continued to produce numerous award winning champions of matsunosuke Sanshoku. His Goshiki received the first place award for five consecutive years and its siblings produced the championship fish in Koromo, Budo-Koromo and Kawarimono.

His challenge continues to be the production of Koi with further improvement in size, quality and long lasting beauty. He has served as the member of director of All Japan Nishikigoi Shinkoukai.

Please visit www.matsunosuke.com

dick benbow
01-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Last year I was fortunate to get to the seminar with toshio and dispite the fact I have intensely studied this man's koi for over 20 years was able to pick up lots of new info regarding his marusome coloration. I also had an opportunity to meet many folks I'd talked with on line in person on this chatline. That was an additional treat. Thank-you Russ for making this opportunity available, and I hope your event will be well supported!

Russell Peters
01-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Last year I was fortunate to get to the seminar with toshio and dispite the fact I have intensely studied this man's koi for over 20 years was able to pick up lots of new info regarding his marusome coloration. I also had an opportunity to meet many folks I'd talked with on line in person on this chatline. That was an additional treat. Thank-you Russ for making this opportunity available, and I hope your event will be well supported!

Thank you Dick, there should be a lot of new information this year as well.:D:

Russell Peters
01-08-2008, 03:29 AM
here is an update on the pins with the correct spelling.

Russell Peters
01-19-2008, 01:22 AM
The discounted room rates at the Sheraton in Pleasanton expire on Jan uary 31st. If you are coming then book soon.:D:

janemm
01-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Following is an excerpt from a post by Brett Rowley (Fishbreeder) on KoiShack referencing the PNKCA seminar in Idaho. An opinion from one of our top domestic breeders shoud be worth something :yes:

"Yall got a great opportunity with Matt and Toshio Sakai as speakers. Listen up close. Toshio Sakai came to my farm many years ago and gave a presentation to the AKCA judges. It was among the best learning experiences of my life. He (Sakai) taught me more about my own fish than I ever thought there was to know. Unfortunately, attending a koi show not long after that, it was painfully obvious that some of the judges did not pay close attention to what was taught, or opted to ignore it."

Russell Peters
01-20-2008, 01:41 PM
This years prize for the judging competition will be a Sansai Gosanke picked by Mr. Sakai. I will post pictures as soon as I have them.:cool:

Carl
01-22-2008, 12:14 AM
This years prize for the judging competition will be a Sansai Gosanke picked by Mr. Sakai. I will post pictures as soon as I have them.:cool:

Any word on those pics, Russ?

Russell Peters
01-22-2008, 01:30 AM
Any word on those pics, Russ?

No, I do not have them yet. The seminar Koi have all been picked and they are being prepared for shipping. I will be able to see them when I am there in about a week and a half. I will probably have pictures by then if not sooner.

I forgot to mention that the value of the grand prize Koi is $3,000.00:D:

Russell Peters
01-25-2008, 02:32 PM
We were able to extend the discount rate at the Sheraton until February 7th.
The seminar pins have arrived and we will be bringing some to the San Diego Koi Show.:D:

dick benbow
01-27-2008, 11:29 PM
If your on the fence with attending, I certainly want you to make up your mind to go. I went last year and it was well worth the price to learn about this man's fish. His new Marusome, is so different from everything else you have learned that without the updated knowledge all you think you knew is out the window. In the past we always encouraged folks to put their money into the pond and system, and quit putting your money and effort into fish.
If you did that your priority now is knowledge. Knowledge that you can only get from the "manufacturer". I've been to many breeders in japan, and many have been kind to share information with me, but I have to honestly admitt that Toshio Sakai has always been the most willing. This year over last year, will be specific questions that will be covered over and above what was covered last year so for those who went there is something more for you this year. I never talked to a single person last year that wasn't happy with the time there and what they learned. If your olde as dirt like me and feel comfortable with your water quality, then all that is left to advance with is
your knowledge of bloodlines. This time with Toshio and with the 6 breeders
in Las Vegas in March are worth your time and money to support. If your thinking maybe you'll skip this year and go next year, you might want to re-consider.

Russell Peters
01-29-2008, 01:49 PM
I receieved a very nice e-mail from Miwa Sakai last night. She had some topic ideas for the seminar. They would like part of the time to be an open forum. Mr. Sakai is very interested in seeing the attendees ponds and Koi. He is asking people to bring in pictures of their ponds and Koi. With the pictures you could bring any questions that you may have. I think it would be a great opportunity to learn more about your pond and Koi keeping skills.:cool3:

Russell Peters
01-30-2008, 01:15 AM
I receieved a very nice e-mail from Miwa Sakai last night. She had some topic ideas for the seminar. They would like part of the time to be an open forum. Mr. Sakai is very interested in seeing the attendees ponds and Koi. He is asking people to bring in pictures of their ponds and Koi. With the pictures you could bring any questions that you may have. I think it would be a great opportunity to learn more about your pond and Koi keeping skills.:cool3:

If you would like to participate in this open forum e-mail me you photo's ahead of time and I can prepare them for Agnes to show on the big screen. My e-mail address is russellpeters@comcast.net.

Carl
01-30-2008, 07:38 AM
Sounds like a great event. It would be wonderful if we could get something going like that on the East Coast.

Russell Peters
01-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Sounds like a great event. It would be wonderful if we could get something going like that on the East Coast.

Anything is possible.;) BTW, I leave for Japan tomorrow morning so I will be posting pictures of Koi soon.:cool3:

Carl
01-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Anything is possible.;) BTW, I leave for Japan tomorrow morning so I will be posting pictures of Koi soon.:cool3:

Great. When are you returning?

Russell Peters
01-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Great. When are you returning?

I fly back on February 6th and will probably be human again on February 7th.;)

Carl
01-30-2008, 02:16 PM
I fly back on February 6th and will probably be human again on February 7th.;)

That's good to know. We would like to do the Sanke drawing when you are back. :yes:

Russell Peters
01-30-2008, 04:26 PM
That's good to know. We would like to do the Sanke drawing when you are back. :yes:

Sounds good!:cool:

Russell Peters
02-05-2008, 05:34 AM
Here they are.

stephen
02-05-2008, 06:08 AM
:eeeeek::eeeeek:

dick benbow
02-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Stephen's trick graphics reminds me of the 1930's song called "barney google" with those goo-goo-googley eyes...LOL :)

Steve Nguyen
02-05-2008, 11:31 PM
Very nice pictures, Russ.

I bet they look even better in person. Can't wait.

Steve

Russell Peters
02-06-2008, 02:52 AM
Mr. Sakai still has not shown me the grand prize Koi. Since he is going to send it soon I will post a picture when it arrives.

stephen
02-07-2008, 02:15 AM
Very nice pictures, Russ.

I bet they look even better in person. Can't wait.

Steve

Welcome Steve:yahoo::cool:

Beautiful koi Russell.:yes:

Russell Peters
02-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Welcome Steve:yahoo::cool:

Beautiful koi Russell.:yes:

Mr. Sakai always out does himself with the seminar Koi. One of the benefits of coming to the seminar, besides learning about his Koi, is that there is a chance to get some really high quality Koi at a reduced price. It is his way of helping to support the hobby.:D:

Russell Peters
02-09-2008, 01:26 PM
We have asked the Sheraton in Pleasanton to extend there room rate, $75.00 single or double, until February 14th for any late comers.:yahoo:

koiman1950
02-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Hey Russ

Finally got my account set up here. Looks like Toshio sent some really nice stocks. Look even better than last years. I may have to see what I can do to get one of each.

See you in a couple weeks.

Mike

Russell Peters
02-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Hey Russ

Finally got my account set up here. Looks like Toshio sent some really nice stocks. Look even better than last years. I may have to see what I can do to get one of each.

See you in a couple weeks.

Mike

Welcome aboard Mike, no pun intended.;) I am looking forward to it.:D:

Russell Peters
02-12-2008, 11:14 AM
I am picking up our shipment of Koi from Isawa in 4 hours. I received an e-mail from Miwa telling me that her father picked an exceptional Koi for the Grand Prize. I will post pictures when I see it.:yes:

koiman1950
02-12-2008, 10:47 PM
I am picking up our shipment of Koi from Isawa in 4 hours. I received an e-mail from Miwa telling me that her father picked an exceptional Koi for the Grand Prize. I will post pictures when I see it.:yes:

Russ

Stop with the teasers:harhar: , I want pictures,pictures and more pictures:punk1:

Mike

Russell Peters
02-13-2008, 01:53 AM
Here it is.:yahoo: :yes: :cool:

Steve Nguyen
02-14-2008, 07:14 PM
I just got back from visiting PSKOI. for lack of better words, all I can say is... OMG... u gotta see them fish in person to truly appreciate its beauty.

Steve

Russell Peters
02-21-2008, 12:54 AM
Part of the seminar involves a silent auction. Here are a few of the Koi.