PDA

View Full Version : I went home yesterday to several uprooted plants in

sworley
11-28-2007, 02:16 PM
my aquarium! My 2 fantails and 2 orandas apparently had a "dig-fest" while I was at work! I replanted a large sword plant in a glass container filled with substrate and then sort of nestled it back into the bottom of the aquarium. I'm going to take the other uprooted ones, hornwort, anubias and some anacharis, and try them in little glass containers, too. I think I remember seeing a picture of someone else's aquarium in which they had planted their aquarium plants in containers. I'd be most appreciative of any suggestions. Thanks :)

GoldieGirl
11-28-2007, 02:57 PM
All my plants are in square glass vases and the goldies don't bother them. Use a good plant substrate (I use Eco-Complete). Try not to use containers that are more than 3" tall. You want the roots to be able to fill the pot, which keeps the substrate from going anaerobic. Also be sure to get pots that the fish can't tip over, either that or half burying them in the gravel will work.

Good luck!
Cindy

sworley
11-28-2007, 08:12 PM
gravel, so I put that in with the plants in some thoroughly cleaned glass candle cups that Glade candles came in. I've saved several of those over the years thinking that they might come in handy, and sure enough, they did! :) They're an idea individual serving size for pudding, jello and that sort of thing, too. I've found that any candle residue will pop right out and then they're easy to clean with good dishwashing detergent and hot water. Fortunately I have more if more of my plants are victims of goldie digging! Thanks again for the response.

RichB
12-10-2007, 10:34 PM
My carp do that. I ended up not buying real plants as they either uprooted them or destroyed them by sucking on them. I give them some lettice instead now and again..

R

sworley
12-12-2007, 09:35 PM
problem I was previously and the plants seem healthier. How do I know if the substrate in the containers with the plants is getting nasty? I'm hoping the plants will take up the nutrients and not create a problem with being contained like that. They seem to be growing well.

GoldieGirl
12-12-2007, 11:04 PM
The roots will fill the containers and keep the substrate aerobic.

In a couple of weeks you'll see the root systems through the glass.

Problems can arise if the roots are rotting and you don't realize it, sometimes the tops of the plants take longer to die. Even then, the fish and tank health will be fine as long as you don't disturb the substrate. Just remove the whole vase and discard the dead plant, rinse the substrate well and start over.

BTW congrats on your future bigger pond! I just enlarged my own little water garden to 4000g and can't wait till spring to add more koi :clap:

sworley
12-13-2007, 08:27 AM
I also appreciate the info on taking care of the container plants in the aquarium. My goldie aquarium is finally, after having it for 4 months, starting to clear up much better. I'm sure part of it has to do with having the plants in containers, for the most part. I do 25% water changes at least once a week so I know that helps, too. I don't rinse the filter cartridges but about once a month, now. That also seems to help.