PDA

View Full Version : Wintering small Koi

mmzullo
10-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Hi All,
Haven't posted much just read a lot. My Koi has spawned about 3 months ago. The babies are about 1.5 inches to 3 inches. Should they come in for the winter or can they survive the winter. This is a natural mud pond which is spring feed. It's about 5 or 6,000 gallons.
Thanks

vipldy
10-29-2007, 09:47 PM
Hi All,
Haven't posted much just read a lot. My Koi has spawned about 3 months ago. The babies are about 1.5 inches to 3 inches. Should they come in for the winter or can they survive the winter. This is a natural mud pond which is spring feed. It's about 5 or 6,000 gallons.
Thanks

Ist year koi should spend their winter indoors eating and growing!

Marie

FishOCD
10-29-2007, 09:52 PM
6 mos from now there willl be a lot of people who will post here of the nearly 1 yr old babies they find during spring cleaning. So yes, some may survive outdoors -- but some may not. Bring them in if you want to be safe.

mmzullo
10-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Mornin' All,
Thanks for the replies. I've heard that Koi don't grow well in tanks. I have a 125 gallon tank. I know they are better off in side to survive. I'll try to start catching some. It's not going to be easy.
Thanks Mike

PapaBear
10-31-2007, 08:43 AM
How many do you think you have??? You can grow some in an indoor tank, but you'll need to keep a close watch on your water quality. Since your outdoor pond is spring fed your survival rate will likely be higher than a liner pond, especially if it is relatively deep. How deep is it???

FishOCD
10-31-2007, 02:24 PM
Get a Frabill minnow trap (i got the football shaped one at Walmart). Put in 1-2 pieces of Bil-Jac Liver Treats for dogs. Put in trap on floor of pond, particularly around hiding places like next to plants. Next morning it will be filled with baby koi. Repeat until koi are cleaned out.

JoesPonds.com
10-31-2007, 04:38 PM
If you want to minimize losses among the fry, I'd definitely recommend moving them to a heated pond or indoor setup for the winter. I'm fortunate that water temps rarely drop below 50 in our area, so our fry will be spending the winter in our 5,500-gallon grow pond...

mmzullo
10-31-2007, 08:48 PM
The pond is about 4 or 5 feet deep at the one edge where the spring is coming from.
I will have to try the minnow trap. I have a dip net but they are not feeding now. I would like to try to get them inside.
I'll keep you posted.
Mike

mmzullo
11-04-2007, 10:58 AM
Well I got a minnow trap. I'm having a hard time finding Bil-Jac liver treats. I went to 2 pet stores with no luck. I bought some kind of liver treat. Soak time of trap was about 2 days. Only caught 3 baby gold fish. I'll still try to find the Bil jac.
I'll keep you posted. Is it too late to try the catch the baby Koi?
Thanks
Mike

Koidaddy
11-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Get a Frabill minnow trap (i got the football shaped one at Walmart). Put in 1-2 pieces of Bil-Jac Liver Treats for dogs. Put in trap on floor of pond, particularly around hiding places like next to plants. Next morning it will be filled with baby koi. Repeat until koi are cleaned out.

What a smart girl!
:cool:

mmzullo
11-04-2007, 03:18 PM
Ok I found Bil-Jac. It's in the pond. I'll check it on Tuesday.
MIke

FishOCD
11-04-2007, 04:15 PM
I'll be interested to hear if it works for you too. I still can't believe it attracted and trapped every single fry (50?) over a 3 day period (I emptied it morning and afternoon the first day, and just in the mornings the next two days.) I'd suggest replacing the Bil-Jac every day as once it's waterlogged it doesn't seem to have that alluring (vile) liver smell. BTW, I had no luck when I used it with bread or shrimp even though others have. Good luck!

mmzullo
11-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Well no luck with the minnow trap. Only caught about 4 gold fish. I quess the Koi are not feeding at all. I also moved the trap to different parts of the pond. The spring is flowing pretty good should I drain the pond and catch as many as posible or just hope they can survive the winter.?
Also today I cleaned the egde of the pond of grass and other debris. I've noticed during the summer that the larger Koi always eat under this one piece of slate. They must of made a hole under this piece about a foot.
Unfortunatly with the rain we had the water is pretty dirty so I can't see anything. I think I should let them go and pray.

vipldy
11-06-2007, 10:53 PM
Well no luck with the minnow trap. Only caught about 4 gold fish. I quess the Koi are not feeding at all. I also moved the trap to different parts of the pond. The spring is flowing pretty good should I drain the pond and catch as many as posible or just hope they can survive the winter.?
Also today I cleaned the egde of the pond of grass and other debris. I've noticed during the summer that the larger Koi always eat under this one piece of slate. They must of made a hole under this piece about a foot.
Unfortunatly with the rain we had the water is pretty dirty so I can't see anything. I think I should let them go and pray.

All you can do is either drain it down and net them or let them be and what will be will be:yes:

Marie

mmzullo
11-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Hi Marie,
Yes I think I'm going to let them be for the winter. I know the gold fish survive the winter and small Koi from previous years have survive. I must of drain about a foot of water which was about at least 1000 gallons. It has filled up already from the spring. There is always water movment unless we get a 10 deg week of freeze then it stops. I always keep a hole open on top when it freezes.
Thanks