PDA

View Full Version : To cull or not to cull

Noahsnana
09-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Anyone have pics of fry and what they look like when grown out

Curious as to fry pics and what they become... how do you know what to look for? How do breeders cull? How can they forsee the growout?

bigtylor
09-16-2007, 09:59 PM
There was just a great fry thread last week, can't remember who's it was though, sorry. Maybe someone will bump it.

PapaBear
09-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Culling well is a real pain when you don't know for certain who the parents are.
You do know the mother, so you at least know that Goshiki traits would be more likely to succeed, but you'll need better advice than I can offer when it comes to spotting them in fry.
Since you are pretty much shooting in the dark (daddy-wise) I would look for nice pattern potential on fish with good looking skin. High quality skin will produce better results, no matter the type. It can have the prettiest pattern to die for at an early age, but if the skin quality isn't there the beauty will be very fleeting.

Gene
09-17-2007, 10:02 AM
From personal experience I can tell you that it is very hard to explain about picking potential koi with just words. What you need to do is keep as many as you can and watch how they develop. After a few years you'll get better due to the experience.

PapaBear
09-17-2007, 10:13 AM
From personal experience I can tell you that it is very hard to explain about picking potential koi with just words. What you need to do is keep as many as you can and watch how they develop. After a few years you'll get better due to the experience.

That's pretty much the approach we've taken. Not being a breeder by any stretch of the imagination:no: our main objective has been to learn by observing as much as possible from as many as we can manage well.
Still dumb:rolleyes: , but not as dumb as the first time;)

pete
09-17-2007, 11:23 AM
PapaBear when you gona update your thread?

PapaBear
09-19-2007, 07:59 AM
PapaBear when you gona update your thread?

Coming soon to a Koiphen thread near you;)

pete
10-16-2007, 11:14 PM
Updates :)