PDA

View Full Version : a look at what I found at the potter's

dick benbow
08-30-2007, 11:49 PM
The one I ordered will be ready in October and have more of a pot base with crescent roof overtop. Just in case you wonder who dan Laxall is, the picture of the hemlock at Weyerhaueser's pacific rim display is featured in one of his pots......
here is a smaller version. the two side metal pieces are to wire in the bonsai
on a more difficult angle

pot #2 is a companion plant pot and a tiny ground cover that blooms all summer will occupy it. It has pink and white edged flowers. Reminds me of
something in an alpine meadow.

the green pot I want to use with a blackthorn that produces white flowers in the spring and orange berries in the fall. or I may use in for my Gingo.

Pot #4 I will use for my chinese quince that Koi Judge Larry Gill hand carried for me on the plane on his way to Portland to judge the show there this past july.

Pot #5 had a hairline crack in the lip and he threw it in free. I may slide my
Gingo into it if I can't find a nice yellowish one to match the foliage in fall.

so what do you think? have I done "good" ?

Just Jessie
08-31-2007, 12:04 AM
I love the pots. Especially the first one that look like part of an egg.

Koizilla
08-31-2007, 12:35 AM
so what do you think? have I done "good" ?

Quite a magnetic composition

" Ancient tree "hatches" from Dinosaur egg "

Zilla

KINGBASHI
08-31-2007, 12:44 AM
dick, you are the man!!--that first pic is just plain art!!-i love it!!-i want it bad---really i do---it will sit on the ledge of pondzilla---i will beg if i have to------steve

Cowiche Ponder
08-31-2007, 02:31 AM
Steve..you might want to start now...groveling never hurt!

warrenrrrr
08-31-2007, 05:44 AM
very nice

dick benbow
08-31-2007, 04:50 PM
most of the exotic name brand pots I purchase ( the daiinichi of pots) cost around $500. ea. I have some derek aspinall that are valued much higher as he's no longer with us......but dan's pots all 5, remember one was free...$20.00.
The custom one similar to the hemlock one, custom made to my specs $25.00. Forget it ...I tried talking him into carrying koi....but I figured it was worth a try! :)

Robert
08-31-2007, 07:17 PM
Thats some nice looking pots at a great price. Does he have a web site, mail order, or sell on ebay?

Robert

dick benbow
08-31-2007, 08:35 PM
it is a great price. Dan is up in age and does this as a hobby. He's not in it for the money. It's something he loves. When I decided I wanted to order my pot I wrote Dan an email. A week later he answered. I'll call him on the phone and the day after I leave a message he gets back to me. I say that only to give you and idea that this guy is pretty special and not someone who does what he does for the money. Robert if your interested, PM me and I'll get you Dan's email. I'm not sure if he has a camera or can post pics but we could try.
:)

Robert
08-31-2007, 11:21 PM
Robert if your interested, PM me and I'll get you Dan's email. I'm not sure if he has a camera or can post pics but we could try.
:)

Thanks Dick,

Sounds like you have a special friendship with Dan.

I may take ya up on Dan's email offer if I can't ever find that "just right" pot for a special tree. Right now I don't need a particular pot, but I love pot hunting about as much as bonsai hunting:yes: .

Please keep us posted (pics.:clap: ) when ya get those pots filled with trees.

Robert

dick benbow
09-01-2007, 09:27 AM
In less than an hr I'm off to the cascades to look for yamadori hemlock at around 6,000 feet. I'd love to find something I can work with. A few years back my alpine came from there. I'll take my camera and share the experience when I get back. Here's a pic of the alpine. Nothing special. It adjusted well to the lower climate, most folks feed their's and they bolt and don't do well. This guy is stabilized now enough to where I can do some styling. The rock I picked up next to it on a ledge, so a part of it's home is still with it...it's a form of granite referred to as ryal light not sure on spelling.