PDA

View Full Version : Platinum Ogon Butterfly Fry

Greg Stienstra
08-19-2007, 02:45 AM
I had a 9200 gallon pond installed June, 2005. It's 18 to 20 feet wide, 36' long & 4.5' deep. I have netted off 1/3 of the pond. I have a pair of 24" Platinum Ogon Butterfly KOI, imported from Japan. I purchased the pair for $500 in Sept. 2005 from www.thekoifarm.com. The female spawned on 6/28 and I them moved the pair back to the other side of the net. About four hundred fry were born on July 2nd. At ten days old they were a 1/2" long. Now at seven weeks old they range in size from 2" to over 3" long. I have been feeding them 55% protein #1 crumble finfish slow sinking starter feed from Zeigler Brothers.
Photos 1, 2 and 3 are of my pond.
Photo 4 is the parents.
Photo 5 is the fry at 10 days old.
Photos 6 through 9 are the fry at seven weeks old.
I only plan to keep 15 for another pond I'll build next year. So if any one would like to buy some write or call me at 845-239-3014. I have not decided on a price yet.

Just Jessie
08-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Beautiful pond, pretty babies too

Noahsnana
08-20-2007, 10:41 PM
nice looking group of fry

Greg Stienstra
10-12-2007, 11:37 PM
Here are photos of Platinum Ogon Butterfly fry. Many are close to 5" long now. I have noticed that some are standard fin fry. I'll probably leave them in my pond this winter. I just have to install a gas tank and turn on the LP gas fired boiler to heat the water this winter. But first I'll need to cover the pond. Don't want to heat the air.

SamKoi
10-13-2007, 12:26 AM
WOW!! You did a great job with those fish. they look very healthy and well fed:D: You still thinking about getting rid of a few?

Edit: Sorry just re-read the post...hopefully nobody decides to breed again in the spring:eek1:

Alitheoldbat
10-13-2007, 03:26 AM
Nice job those babies sure have grown. :) Keep up the good work.

luke-gr
10-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Wow, the big group of platinums is very striking. I think I would like to have an all plaitnum pond someday. :rolleyes:

hemle
10-13-2007, 01:27 PM
wow looks like i have to drive to ny to help you "take care" some of your kois.. =)

Greg Stienstra
10-13-2007, 02:35 PM
Thanks for looking at the fry!
This is the 1st time I've had fry since the pond was installed in June, 2005.
I started out with pond grade KOI, comets and shubunkins. Well, last season I got rid of the comets and shubunkins. They breed liked rabbits!! This fall I have been selling many of the pond grade KOI. Right now I have 17 pond grade and 29 select grade KOI in my pond. I also have 8 large in a 300 gallon stock tank and 13 smaller pond grade KOI in several other tanks. Hopefully I'll be able to sell off these pond grade KOI before winter.

Greg

PapaBear
10-16-2007, 07:41 AM
This should be really interesting to follow their development.
You've already mentioned that some of the fry are standard fin instead of Longfin, but you netted the pond to have a controlled spawn so you KNOW who the parents are.
Since Longfins are a hybrid of Koi and Indonesian Carp you should see 4 different type of bodies/fins.
1. Obviously you would expect to see longfins just like the parents.

2. You should also see some standard fin Koi, as there is roughly 1 chance in 4 that the "koi" genetics from each parent will be passed on to any embryo.

3. You may also see some shorter Lonfins whose fins are more of a "fan" shape than long and feathery.

4. You also have a 1 in 4 chance of seeing some with longer fins than the parents because of the strictly Indonesian genetics being passed on.

From the latest photo's it appears you do have that kind of mix among the fry, so now the fun begins.
Will there be a difference in the way the various fin types develop in terms of color, body shape, etc...? I think it'll be fun to observe how they come along.

Greg Stienstra
11-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Friday around 6 pm I decided to "catch those fry". So I pumped pond water into my three 100 gallon stock tanks. At the same time I back washed my filters and dropped the water level down to 24". By 11 pm I caught 212 fry. I used hip waders and long water proof gloves. Caught two Gin Rin Chagoi's to photograph them as well. I removed the netting that divided the pond and the bags of gravel that held the netting in place. But my gloves weren't long enough, that water was cold. Started adding water at midnight, needed 6000 gallons to make the 4.5' level. It was full by 10 the next morning. By the time I got done it was 3 am. I'm glad I didn't have 3 or 4 hundred fry. My wife Barbara helped me until 12:30, she had to go to work the next morning!!
Photos 1 & 2, 69 Platinum Ogon Butterflies
Photos 3 & 4, 63 Doitsu Platinum Ogon Butterflies (about half may have Matsuba in them).
Photo 5, 80 Platinum Ogon Butterflies with some Matsuba in them.
About 15% are standard fin. I do have a white Matsuba in my pond. If it's a male and he got close to the net and if some of the eggs attached to the net he may have fertilized them. I have no idea where the doitsu part came from. I made the tank covers you see in photo 5 out of 3/4 PVC conduit and HD fiberglass screening glued to the PVC. Used a PCV heat box (I'm an electrician) to heat up a 2' section to make the bends.

Alitheoldbat
11-04-2007, 10:33 PM
WOW they are getting big! Are 3 100gal tanks going to be enough for the winter? Interesting mix you got LOVE the Doitsu's.

JoesPonds.com
11-04-2007, 11:11 PM
Wow, that's a lot of fry! Gorgeous too...good lucking finding homes for all of 'em. I'm in a similar situation with my fry from our flock spawn...

bigtylor
11-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Wow, that's a lot of fry! Gorgeous too...good lucking finding homes for all of 'em. I'm in a similar situation with my fry from our flock spawn...

How about some updated pics of yours??

JoesPonds.com
11-04-2007, 11:17 PM
My fry are in a 5,500-gallon growpond right now. It's completely covered with shade screen right now so taking pics is pretty difficult. I hope to construct an indoor holding / sale tank within the next few weeks and will likely pull over some fry and take pics shortly thereafter...stay tuned...

bigtylor
11-04-2007, 11:20 PM
will be waiting. Ours will be moving to the basement in a few days. :D:

Greg Stienstra
11-05-2007, 12:09 AM
WOW they are getting big! Are 3 100gal tanks going to be enough for the winter? Interesting mix you got LOVE the Doitsu's.

No it's not enough. I have a 300 gallon tank with 8 large 18 to 24" KOI. There were 11, but I sold three on Saturday. If I don't sell these before winter sets in they'll go back in the pond until spring. Right now I have 48 KOI in my pond, from 12 to 24" in length. I've been selling off my pond grade KOI this fall. I have a heated room between the garage and my shop. There is enough space for a 1250 gallon indoor pond.

SamKoi
11-05-2007, 10:03 PM
You better watch this guy, I think he may be your food hog :D: LOL

cindy
11-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Pretty fish, hope you have plenty of filtration

Greg Stienstra
11-06-2007, 07:27 PM
Pretty fish, hope you have plenty of filtration

For now I'm OK. I also have a 300 gallon to use. Thinking of get two 150 gallon tanks also. Then I'll be able to sort them out more.

Greg Stienstra
11-08-2007, 12:43 AM
Well, today I bought a 150 gallon fiberglass stock tank from Tractor Supply. Had my wife Barb help me made the PVC frame for the lid. This time I used contact cement to glue the HD fiberglass screening to it. Tomorrow I'll find some room in my garage to set up the tank. I'm thinking about moving all the tanks to the cellar. It's allot warmer there, just need to keep a couple lights on during the day. I measured some of the fry tonight. Many are over 5" long and some are already 6" long.

Alitheoldbat
11-08-2007, 02:55 AM
Can't wait to see what they look like in the Spring. They are just beautiful! Would be fun to do a Koiphen growout contest with some of your babies. :)

Greg Stienstra
11-08-2007, 06:58 PM
This afternoon I started working in my cellar. removed the very old sump pump. Jack hammered the concrete for a 20" diameter basin for a 1/2 hp sewage pump.

Greg Stienstra
11-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Can't wait to see what they look like in the Spring. They are just beautiful! Would be fun to do a Koiphen growout contest with some of your babies. :)

Yes that would be fun to do. Moving them to my cellar very soon. Much warmer there, they'll eat more and grow larger.

Alitheoldbat
11-08-2007, 07:20 PM
This is going to be fun project to watch. :) Keep the photos coming.

bammbammkoi
11-09-2007, 06:59 AM
How did you make that bottom drain? Look good :cool:

Greg Stienstra
11-09-2007, 07:50 AM
How did you make that bottom drain? Look good :cool:

I used a 2" PVC shower drain from Home Depot. I just had to grind off the ridges around the drain on the bottom side of the tank.

Greg Stienstra
11-12-2007, 01:26 AM
Yesterday I installed the plastic basin for the sump pump. Mixed concrete to patch the floor around the basin. I cut off the funky 2" ABS piping and installed 2" PVC piping for the sump pump. It tees off to a 2nd sump pump near the boiler. I'll replace that pump and install a basin at a later date. Today I cut off the barrel at floor level and connected the sump pump. Also extended the 3/4 copper line from the safety valve on the hot water tank to the sump basin. I ran three 20 amp circuits, one for the sump pump on a single receptacle. The 2nd circuit is for air pump & 150 gallon tank set up,two 20 amp SP switches controlling two GFI receptacles. The 3rd circuit will be for the three 100 gallon tanks. I made up a mixing valve to control the temperature of the water when I change the water in the tanks. The cold water is hard water and the hot goes through the water softner. Tomorrow I'll hook up the mixing valve to the PEX tubing that goes out to my garage. I'll bring the three 100 gallon tanks from the garage to the cellar and set them up to the left of the sump pump. Then I'll move the 212 fry down cellar. The 150 gallon tank will be four the 5 to 6" fry.

Greg Stienstra
11-13-2007, 01:44 AM
Today I connected the water to the mixing valve. Also dropped down a hot & cold 1/2" PEX line for the sink. I ran out of those plastic bushings that go over the end of the PEX tubing, which you expand to connect to the fitting. So I had to run to the plumbing supply house. Barb and I put the fry from the two 100 gallon tanks into four plastic containers with hinged lids. We drained the tanks and took them apart. Loaded the 46 2x8x16 cement blocks into the front bucket of my excavator and took them around to the bilco door behind my house. Set up the two tanks with water 1/3 the way up. By the time we brought the first two containers of fry down cellar it was 4 pm. Sorted them out according to size. Had Pizza and brought the last two containers down at 8 pm and sorted out the doitsu.
Photo #3 is tank 1, 3.5 to 4.5" size, 28 Butterflies & 8 Standard fin.
Photo #4 is tank 2, 3.5 to 4.5" size, doitsu, 27 Platinum Butterflies, 21 Platinum Ogon/ Matsuba Butterflies.
Photo #5 is tank 4, 5 to 6" size, 21 Platinum Ogon Butterflies, 11 Platinum Ogon Standard fin, 9 Doitsu Platinum Ogon butterflies and 6 Doitsu Platinum Ogon/ Matsuba Butterflies.
Tomorrow I'll bring down the last 100 gallon tank with the 80 Ogon/ Matsuba butterfly fry. I'll try to get the 300 gallon tank into the cellar. If I can't then I'll have to get another 150 gallon tank. Before I had a chance to cover tank 4, one of the fry jumped out. The water was down 15" and he sailed at least 12" over the top of the tank!! Then another one got out after I covered the tank. The hoses were keeping the cover an 1" off the tank by the wall. I had to drill two holes through the sides to bring the hoses through to keep the cover tight.

majederr
11-13-2007, 09:54 PM
Are you selling these or keeping them all? Joanne

Greg Stienstra
11-13-2007, 10:45 PM
Are you selling these or keeping them all? Joanne

I'm going to sell most of them. I'll only keep a few for myself.

Greg

GoldieGirl
11-13-2007, 11:06 PM
It's too bad Shiro Utsuri was chosen for the 2008 grow out contest. These Platinum Ogons would have been perfect!!

Alitheoldbat
11-14-2007, 12:55 AM
Is there any reason we couldn't do a second grow out contest with Greg's fish? I know I would do it since SU was chosen for the "core group".

See earlier posts in this thread Greg wasn't against the idea. :)

majederr
11-14-2007, 01:09 AM
when will you sell them?

Greg Stienstra
11-14-2007, 01:42 AM
Tonight Barb and I brought down the last 100 gallon tank (tank #3). There were 80 Ogon/Matsuba Butterflies in that tank.
13 are 5 to 6" long and when into tank #4.
Tank #3 has, 19- 4.5", 24- 4", 14- 3.5" and 10- 3".
The water temperature in tank 1, 2 and 4 is now 72 degrees ( in garage is was 54). They are moving around allot and starting to eat again. I'm hoping the smaller fry will start gaining in size with the warmer water and the larger ones in a separate tank. I'm going to install a 13 watt flourescent light over each tank controlled by a timer.

Greg Stienstra
11-14-2007, 01:45 AM
It's too bad Shiro Utsuri was chosen for the 2008 grow out contest. These Platinum Ogons would have been perfect!!

Where can I find information about the contest?

Greg Stienstra
11-14-2007, 01:50 AM
when will you sell them?

Any time now. Soon I'll be running out of space. I only have one 300 gallon tank left that I can use. I can be reached at 845-239-8610.

GoldieGirl
11-14-2007, 02:15 AM
Here's the thread on the growout contest:

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67555

GoldieGirl
11-14-2007, 02:24 AM
Is there any reason we couldn't do a second grow out contest with Greg's fish? I know I would do it since SU was chosen for the "core group".

See earlier posts in this thread Greg wasn't against the idea. :)

Ali (is that your name?) if we can't get the contest to change, and you bought one from Greg, maybe I could get one shipped to you for me, and I would come down to pick it up. I seriously love these longfin Platinum Ogons (maybe I would choose doitsu)! But there's too many issues shipping them to Canada. What do you think?

And my DH is hankering for a driving holiday down to the states this winter!

Greg, how much will you be asking for them?

Greg Stienstra
11-14-2007, 02:44 AM
Ali (is that your name?) if we can't get the contest to change, and you bought one from Greg, maybe I could get one shipped to you for me, and I would come down to pick it up. I seriously love these longfin Platinum Ogons (maybe I would choose doitsu)! But there's too many issues shipping them to Canada. What do you think?

And my DH is hankering for a driving holiday down to the states this winter!

Greg, how much will you be asking for them?

I'll ask my friend Lee Menszak ( www.thekoifarm.com) about the shipping. I know he has shipped KOI to CA. Haven't decided on the pricing yet. Will let you know this week.

Alitheoldbat
11-14-2007, 02:51 AM
Hi diamond*girl,
I go by Ali my nickname. If it works out with Greg and we do our own contest I would be happy to help you get yours. I'm even willing to meet you in Seattle or further north if better for you. I'm 30 miles south of Seattle. Lets see what happens. Feel free to PM me.
Ali

Greg Stienstra
11-15-2007, 01:12 AM
Today I ran the 1 1/2" PVC drain lines from each tank to the sump pump basin. On tanks 3 & 4 where it connects directly to the tank it does a good job of pulling the debris off the bottom of the tank. Until I can make a guard, have to use my hand to prevent a fish from being sucked into the drain line.
Photos 3 through 6 are of the sixty 5 to 6" koi in tank 4. You can see they are trying to swim up stream! Sometimes one koi will block the flow of water coming out of the 1" hose. This morning I couldn't figure out why the water in tank 4 was very cloudy and didn't smell right. Then I remembered, the bio medium in the filter has not had a chance to get established. I took it right out of the box. I changed out the water several times and again tonight. I also added aqua clearer to help the bacteria get going.

Greg Stienstra
11-15-2007, 01:35 AM
Hi diamond*girl,
I go by Ali my nickname. If it works out with Greg and we do our own contest I would be happy to help you get yours. I'm even willing to meet you in Seattle or further north if better for you. I'm 30 miles south of Seattle. Lets see what happens. Feel free to PM me.
Ali

Hi Ali!

The only problem I see is the shipping to the west coast. I asked my friend Lee from www.thekoifarm.com about it. He told me you have to be a known shipper to ship through the airlines. One day last week Lee was up at 3 am to be at Newark Airport by 6:30. He was shipping three koi to CA. It's exspensive to ship via the airlines. He doesn't have anything good to say about Fedx, UPS or DHL. They just throw the boxes around, doesn't matter if it says fragile or not.
Greg

Alitheoldbat
11-15-2007, 03:36 AM
Alot of the dealers that post here send UPS overnight with no problems. Double bagged, oxygen & in a sturdy box and they seem to ship fine. Another Koiphener who sells on Ebay gets the inexpensive styrofoam coolers tapes them up good labels and sends.
Simi Koi has really good shipping prices link http://www.simikoi.com/cat115.html
So if we reversed the coasts it shouldn't be a huge difference. If several people in an area wanted to join in they could be shipped together saving costs. From threads about the last grow out several had their fish shipped to one location.
From what I've gathered is fish to be shipped no food for at least 3 days.

Mark box on all sides, top & bottom in big letters "LIVE FISH"

This a quote in another thread by simikoi "Nobody can ship via air cargo unless they are a "Known Shipper" it is post 9/11 procedure. Its not that hard to become "Known", but hardly worth it for a hobbiest.

But most everybody can ship Fed-ex or UPS and they will pick up as well.
Really its not all that hard to ship, I ship koi several times a week. 1/3 water, 2/3 oxygen, heavy duty box, double bag, ammonia binder, and off they go.

Assuming you have received a shipment of koi recently, then I guess you can save the box, but I don't suggest reusing the bags. If you don't have a box, they aren't all that hard to get. But most box sellers stock regular thickness boxes...they are easily crushed in transport. You need heavy duty boxes, 250 lb, preferably double wall. I buy them in bundles of 50 from Uline, but I think you can get them in bundles of 25. I don't know of a source to get them one at a time.

With the bags if you don't have a local dealer you can buy a few from, that means having some mailed to you from an out of town dealer...not impossible I guess, but get a few extra in case one ends up leaking. Then how do you get the O2 into the bag if you don't have an O2 tank? I guess you can drive the fish in the open bag to a place with a tank (pet store?) and fill it up and tie it off there....kind of a pain, but not impossible either.

I guess the last concern is fear. If you have never shipped fish, it can be scary. To place these fragile fish in the hands of a UPS driver, with nothing but a thin plastic bag and a piece of cardboard as protection...its not for the timid."

He just uses "heavy" box but some recommend styrofoam lining box for extra protection.

Alitheoldbat
11-15-2007, 03:39 AM
They look like they are having fun in the current. :)

majederr
11-15-2007, 04:12 PM
How do you tell which will have the longer fins as they all sort of look like they have same size fins?

Greg Stienstra
11-15-2007, 11:41 PM
How do you tell which will have the longer fins as they all sort of look like they have same size fins?

This weekend I'll get out the blue bowls to photogaph them. Then every one can get a better look at them.

Greg Stienstra
11-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Alot of the dealers that post here send UPS overnight with no problems. Double bagged, oxygen & in a sturdy box and they seem to ship fine. Another Koiphener who sells on Ebay gets the inexpensive styrofoam coolers tapes them up good labels and sends.
Simi Koi has really good shipping prices link http://www.simikoi.com/cat115.html
So if we reversed the coasts it shouldn't be a huge difference. If several people in an area wanted to join in they could be shipped together saving costs. From threads about the last grow out several had their fish shipped to one location.
From what I've gathered is fish to be shipped no food for at least 3 days.

Mark box on all sides, top & bottom in big letters "LIVE FISH"

This a quote in another thread by simikoi "Nobody can ship via air cargo unless they are a "Known Shipper" it is post 9/11 procedure. Its not that hard to become "Known", but hardly worth it for a hobbiest.

But most everybody can ship Fed-ex or UPS and they will pick up as well.
Really its not all that hard to ship, I ship koi several times a week. 1/3 water, 2/3 oxygen, heavy duty box, double bag, ammonia binder, and off they go.

Assuming you have received a shipment of koi recently, then I guess you can save the box, but I don't suggest reusing the bags. If you don't have a box, they aren't all that hard to get. But most box sellers stock regular thickness boxes...they are easily crushed in transport. You need heavy duty boxes, 250 lb, preferably double wall. I buy them in bundles of 50 from Uline, but I think you can get them in bundles of 25. I don't know of a source to get them one at a time.

With the bags if you don't have a local dealer you can buy a few from, that means having some mailed to you from an out of town dealer...not impossible I guess, but get a few extra in case one ends up leaking. Then how do you get the O2 into the bag if you don't have an O2 tank? I guess you can drive the fish in the open bag to a place with a tank (pet store?) and fill it up and tie it off there....kind of a pain, but not impossible either.

I guess the last concern is fear. If you have never shipped fish, it can be scary. To place these fragile fish in the hands of a UPS driver, with nothing but a thin plastic bag and a piece of cardboard as protection...its not for the timid."

He just uses "heavy" box but some recommend styrofoam lining box for extra protection.

I have plastic bags and oxygen. I probably can buy a few boxes with stryofoam lining from my friend Lee. My neighbor works for UPS. I'll get info from him about shipping koi. I've never had koi shipped in, always bought them locally.

Alitheoldbat
11-16-2007, 12:09 AM
Wow almost everything needed right there. The simikoi link I posted to show what size and how many can go in what size box. They also mention adding something called I think a "bag buddy" that helps protect the fish. Let me see what I can find about them on here.

Here is the link to Bag Buddies they are cheap and get good reviews. With so many babies to rehome may be well worth it. Anything for safety. :yes:

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34116

Any idea of pricing yet?

Greg Stienstra
11-19-2007, 02:46 AM
Thought every one would like to get a better look.
Photo 1 are 4 to 5" platinum ogon butterflies.
Photo 2 are 4 to 5" platinum ogon/matsuba doitsu butterflies.
Photo 3 are 4 to 5" platinum ogon doitsu butterflies.
Photo 4 are 4 to 5" platinum ogon/matsuba butterflies.
Photo 5 are 5 to 6"platinum ogon butterflies.
Photo 6 are 5 to 6" platinum ogon doitsu & ogon/matsuba doitsu butterflies.
Photo 7 are 5 to 6" platinum ogon/matsuba butterflies.

mmzullo
11-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Greg,
Are you the one having a problem with Craigslist(getting flagged)? Just curious. You have nice fish. I would like to come up one day. I'm in nothern NJ.
Mike

Greg Stienstra
11-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Greg,
Are you the one having a problem with Craigslist(getting flagged)? Just curious. You have nice fish. I would like to come up one day. I'm in nothern NJ.
Mike

Yes, I've been selling off most of my pond grade koi. There are other people that have koi for sale on craigslist. My wife Barbara just keeps re-posting them. Sometimes within a few minutes the post have been removed. But I have sold allot of fish through craigslist. Your welcome to come up anytime, even if you just want to look.

Greg

GoldieGirl
11-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Hi Greg, thanks for the pictures. They are beautiful babies. I'm assuming the fish all look like pic #5 for color and the other photos look yellowish because of the camera setting, right?
Also, are you sure they are all longfins? Most of them look standard to my eye.

Any idea of the price yet?

Greg Stienstra
11-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Hi Greg, thanks for the pictures. They are beautiful babies. I'm assuming the fish all look like pic #5 for color and the other photos look yellowish because of the camera setting, right?
Also, are you sure they are all longfins? Most of them look standard to my eye.

Any idea of the price yet?

Photo #5 was taken with a flash. This weekend I'll re shoot them and change the photos. Most are long fins. Maybe 10% out of the 211 are standard fin. I have noticed that some of the butterflies have longer fins especially on the 4" fry.

Ethan25
11-20-2007, 03:35 PM
I would love to have just one of these. Are you planning (when you make them available) to offer shipping? Or local pickup only??

Greg Stienstra
11-20-2007, 07:01 PM
I would love to have just one of these. Are you planning (when you make them available) to offer shipping? Or local pickup only??

I'm going to check with UPS with regards to shipping koi. They have a shipping facility about 5 miles from my home. Once I have everything in place I'll let you know. I just sold the last of my large pond grade koi. Now I'll clean out my 300 gallon tank, cut three 2" bottom drain in it and bring it down cellar. I'll pick up another plastic barrel and make up my own filter.

Yen
11-21-2007, 12:08 AM
Oh, I did notice your posts being removed on Craigslist too. I'd like to come one day too if you don't mind.

Thanks,

Yen

Yes, I've been selling off most of my pond grade koi. There are other people that have koi for sale on craigslist. My wife Barbara just keeps re-posting them. Sometimes within a few minutes the post have been removed. But I have sold allot of fish through craigslist. Your welcome to come up anytime, even if you just want to look.

Greg

Greg Stienstra
11-21-2007, 02:28 AM
Oh, I did notice your posts being removed on Craigslist too. I'd like to come one day too if you don't mind.

Thanks,

Yen

That's fine with me. I'm usually here on weekends. This week Wednesday and Friday are also good. I did sell allot of koi through craigslist. Of the 48 koi in my pond only 10 are pond grade.

Greg Stienstra
11-26-2007, 10:48 AM
Sunday It was a very nice sunny day. So Barb and I caught 22 koi from our pond. Here are photos of the parents of these fry.

shipisland
11-26-2007, 09:12 PM
Thats some pretty koi.

Greg Stienstra
11-28-2007, 07:33 PM
I forgot to mention on my previous post. I purchased my pair of Yonsai Platinum Ogon Butterflies two years ago from Lee Menszak at www.thekoifarm.com. I believe he still has a few available. By the end of the week I'll set up some lighting and take better photos to post here. I spoke to my neighbor ( works for UPS) about shipping koi. Also Spoke to the Fed X driver. I think UPS would be better since I could drop off Koi around 6 pm at their near by facility for over night delivery. Does anyone have any 1st hand experience with Fed X,UPS or DHL?

Thanks

Alitheoldbat
11-28-2007, 10:45 PM
Been waiting for new photos of the babies :)

So are your parents now 4 or 6 years old? Didn't understand if they were Yonsai when you got them or are that now. What size were they when you got them 2 years ago?

What Japanese breeder did Matt get them from? Of all the Koi for sale I only saw one that stated breeder.

Have never had a fish shipped to me yet but from what I have read UPS does a pretty good job. Would 6pm dropoff allow enough time for next day to the West Coast? I guess it would as there is the 3 hour time difference.

Have you come up with a price for the fry yet?

I know I may ask lots of questions but better to ask than have an unpleasant surprise later. After all it is "buyer beware" and if ya don't ask then ya suffer if there is a misunderstanding. Always best to be an informed consumer. :D:

Thanks Greg for keeping this going and trying to find the answers.

Greg Stienstra
11-29-2007, 01:37 AM
Been waiting for new photos of the babies :)

So are your parents now 4 or 6 years old? Didn't understand if they were Yonsai when you got them or are that now. What size were they when you got them 2 years ago?

What Japanese breeder did Matt get them from? Of all the Koi for sale I only saw one that stated breeder.

Have never had a fish shipped to me yet but from what I have read UPS does a pretty good job. Would 6pm dropoff allow enough time for next day to the West Coast? I guess it would as there is the 3 hour time difference.

Have you come up with a price for the fry yet?

I know I may ask lots of questions but better to ask than have an unpleasant surprise later. After all it is "buyer beware" and if ya don't ask then ya suffer if there is a misunderstanding. Always best to be an informed consumer. :D:

Thanks Greg for keeping this going and trying to find the answers.

Hi Ali, they are now yonsai ( 4 years old). I think they were about 15 or 16" when I bought them from "Lee". The breeder most likely was Yokota. Because they were hard to come by at that time the importer didn't want that known. With everything that is going on with KHV, I prefer American bred koi. Many of my select koi are from Quality Koi of NJ.

To minimize the shipping time, I would want to drop off the koi about a hour before they load the trucks at UPS. I'm told that tha cargo area in the UPS jets is not heated. So the shipping box would need to be insulated well.

I will have better photos and pricing posted by Sunday night.
I understand your concerns about buying koi without actually seeing them in person. I have always gone right to Lee's place to pick out koi.

Alitheoldbat
11-29-2007, 03:00 AM
Hi Greg,
I have been watching these since you first posted about them. Thanks for the info on breeder not that I really know anything about them but at least I can research it a bit. You have had yours long enough that they should be clean. If I end up with some of course they will be QT'ed. Would be nice to do in person but that won't happen just have to trust sometimes that who you are dealing with will do the best then can do right by you.

Looking forward to the photos Sunday night. :D:

Simi Koi
11-29-2007, 02:07 PM
I have shipped with both UPS and Fedex. Both have been reliable as far as delivery times, but I prefer Fedex. They seem to handle the boxes with a bit more care. With either one expect to pay about $100 to $125 for shipping coast to coast.

Greg Stienstra
11-29-2007, 10:13 PM
These are a group of fifteen, 6 to 6 3/4" platinum ogon butterflies. I'm using an Olympus E-10 digital camera shooting at 2240 by 1680 pixels, 160 asa, 3.2 f stop and 1/400 sec shutter speed. I reduce all photos the same to 1024 by 768 pixels and save as a jpg with a jpeg quality of 75. Going back down cellar to photograph the doitsu.

11/30 10:30 am.
I realized that the colors were off because I photographed the parents outside in natural light. These fry were photographed in my cellar using two 250 watt britek flood lights with barn doors. So I did a little editing to try and match the colors. It is very hard to get the colors correct using artificial lighting. These Butterflies are white like their parents with the exception of the ones that show matsuba traits.

Greg Stienstra
11-29-2007, 11:57 PM
The 1st five photos are 6 to 6 3/4" platinum ogon doitsu butterflies.
Photos 6 through 10 are 6 to 6 3/4" platinum ogon/matsuba doitsu butterflies.

11/30, 10:53 am.
I realized that the colors were off because I photographed the parents outside in natural light. These fry were photographed in my cellar using two 250 watt britek flood lights with barn doors. So I did a little editing to try and match the colors. It is very hard to get the colors correct using artificial lighting. These Butterflies are white like their parents with the exception of the ones that show matsuba traits.

Greg Stienstra
11-30-2007, 12:11 AM
6 to 6 3/4" platinum ogon/matsuba butterflies.

11/30 10:56 am.

DebbieKSW
11-30-2007, 02:11 AM
Greg,
they are beautiful.
I hope you get plenty of takers.

Greg Stienstra
11-30-2007, 09:23 AM
They are white like their parents, posted on page 6! The parents were photographed outdoors with natural light. The fry were photographed in the cellar with two 250 watt britek floods. I'll try to match the coloring tonight.

Greg Stienstra
11-30-2007, 12:00 PM

GoldieGirl
11-30-2007, 04:11 PM
I have shipped with both UPS and Fedex. Both have been reliable as far as delivery times, but I prefer Fedex. They seem to handle the boxes with a bit more care. With either one expect to pay about $100 to $125 for shipping coast to coast.

Ned, how come on your website you estimate $50 for shipping to the east coast? Can't Greg get a similar rate to ship to the west? Or Sugarloaf in New York with the Growout koi, as well? What's the secret?

Simi Koi
11-30-2007, 04:31 PM
Yes, I do get some amazing rates with FedEx. :yes: In fact I am proud to boast the BEST shipping rates in the business.:bow: But I am afraid these rates are not available to the general public. :no:

Greg Stienstra
11-30-2007, 08:44 PM
I just went online to check UPS shipping rates which don't include my cost for packaging. A insulated box 17x10x10.5 inside dim. cost $24 at www.uline.com I could take a 18x12x12 and line it with 1" foam. But you would still need to add about $30 to the shipping cost shown below.
Ship From: 10918, UNITED STATES
Ship To: TACOMA, 98401, UNITED STATES
18x12x12" box, includes insurance on $500 declared value
UPS Next Day Air Early A.M.®
Billable Weight: 40.0 lbs. by 8:30 A.M. next day 223.95 USD*

UPS Next Day Air®
Billable Weight: 40.0 lbs. by 10:30 A.M. next day 190.75 USD*

UPS Next Day Air Saver®
Billable Weight: 40.0 lbs. by 3:00 P.M. next day 176.89 USD*

Simi Koi
11-30-2007, 08:54 PM
40 pounds is pretty heavy. A gallon of water weighs 8.3 pounds. An 18x12x12 box only needs maybe 2 gallons of water so you are looking at around 15 to 20 pounds. Remember, oxygen is more important then water. 1/3 water, 2/3 O2.

Also, you can buy an 8x4 sheet of Styrofoam from Home depot and cut it up...MUCH cheaper then an insulated box. Or you can buy insulated bubble wrap that should work well too.

Greg Stienstra
11-30-2007, 09:39 PM
40 pounds is pretty heavy. A gallon of water weighs 8.3 pounds. An 18x12x12 box only needs maybe 2 gallons of water so you are looking at around 15 to 20 pounds. Remember, oxygen is more important then water. 1/3 water, 2/3 O2.

Also, you can buy an 8x4 sheet of Styrofoam from Home depot and cut it up...MUCH cheaper then an insulated box. Or you can buy insulated bubble wrap that should work well too.

I was figuring 16x10x6=960÷1728= .56x 7.48= 4.19 gal x 8= 33.52#.
If I figure 1/3 water, 16x10x4=640 ÷1728= .37x 7.48= 2.77gal x 8.3= 23# plus 2# for the packaging 4 or 5# for the koi (8oz. each?). Then it would be around 30#.
Ship From: 10918, UNITED STATES Ship To: TACOMA, 98401, UNITED STATES
Package Weight Dimensions / Packaging / Declared Value
1 30 lbs. 18 x 12 x 12 in. My Packaging 500.00 USD

UPS Next Day Air Early A.M.® by 8:30 A.M. next day $188.42 USD*
UPS Next Day Air® by 10:30 A.M. next day $155.22 USD*
UPS Next Day Air Saver® by 3:00 P.M. next day $145.90 USD*
I would use a 275# double wall box, cut up 1" foam on my table saw and line the box.

Simi Koi
11-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Trust me, I have shipped a couple hundred 18x12x12 boxes of koi. 15 pounds of water is all you need to ship 10 to 12 of those little guys. My 24x12x12 boxes usually weigh 30 to 35 pounds and it would hold about 25 of them.

Greg Stienstra
11-30-2007, 11:04 PM
Trust me, I have shipped a couple hundred 18x12x12 boxes of koi. 15 pounds of water is all you need to ship 10 to 12 of those little guys. My 24x12x12 boxes usually weigh 30 to 35 pounds and it would hold about 25 of them.

Tomorrow I'll go to staples and get a few different size boxes. I'll cut of some 1" foam I have left over to line the boxes. Put 6 koi in the smaller box and 12 in the medium box and weigh them. Then I'll check the UPS shipping costs.

Greg Stienstra
12-01-2007, 11:03 PM
I didn't have time to go to Staples today. Since we're suppose to be getting a snow storm tonight and into tomorrow, Barb and I did some outside work instead. Back on 10/28 we removed the sod along the right side of our driveway and planted six globe dwarf blue spruce shrubs. I had 10 yards of eastern sunrise gravel sitting in the driveway for a month. So today we layed down weed control fabric and the irrigation for 3 of the shrubs. We got 1/2 the gravel in from the road to just past the green irrigation box. We almost froze outside today, stayed around 30 degrees all day. Right now it's 21 at 10 pm.

Lori Jo
12-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Looks beautiful! And Colddddd..

Greg Stienstra
12-02-2007, 01:24 AM
Looks beautiful! And Colddddd..

Thank you, I just finish up outside.

Greg Stienstra
12-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Since the weather was bad today, decided to make more room for tanks in my cellar.

Greg Stienstra
12-31-2007, 12:13 AM
It's been a while since my last update. I've added a 300 gallon tank (tank 5) with a 55 gallon SC/mech filter and a 20 gallon moving bed bio filter with Kaldnes K1. I've removed the pressurized filter with subm pump from tank 4 and used the same setup. Installed 3/4" PVC piping for the air supply to all the tanks and moving bed filters. Now I'm working on changing the filtration setup for tanks 1 & 2 and tank 3. When I get that done I'll sort the butterflies according to size and post prices.
The last three photos are of the platinum ogon butterflies. On 11/30 they were 4 to 5", now they are 5 to 6" long. The ones in the 300 gallon tank (tank 5) are pushing 7.5" now.

See this link for more on the 300 gallon tank setup.
http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70779

Limpet
12-31-2007, 06:02 PM
Looks like a pretty good set up, reminds me of last year with my little ones watching them grow over the winter.

Greg Stienstra
01-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Last night I finished re-doing the filtration for my two 100 gallon tanks that are tied together. A 1400 gph submersible pump is in the 30 gallon SC/mech filter barrel. Because the return from the moving bed bio filter is gravity flow, I had to figure out a way to get equal amounts of water into each tank. I used a 2" PVC pipe running level and reduced to 1 1/2" with a gate valve to each tank to adjust the flow. Today I'll finish setting up my last 100 gallon tank. Then I'll have five tanks and I can sort out these butterflies according to size and quality.

Greg Stienstra
01-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Today I got the last 100 gallon tank (tank 3) connected to the 30 gallon SC/mech barrel filter. Connected 2" PVC to the two drain valves and routed it to the drain basin to the right of the laundry sink. Last I had to remove the sump pump and install a 1/2 hp sewage pump instead. These koi just love oranges and some of the orange peels were getting into the sump basin clogging the sump pump. I'll have to go to Lowes to pick up more 1" PVC fittings so I can finish hooking up the pump and MB filter.

Greg Stienstra
01-08-2008, 01:32 AM
Tonight I finished hooking up the 750 gph submersible pump and the moving bed bio filter. Until I can pick up more UV lights I'm using the pressurized filter with out the sponges and bio balls in them for tanks 3 and 4. Hopefully I'll be able sort out the butterflies this week.

Just Jessie
01-08-2008, 02:37 AM
Pretty impressive set up. I was thinking its a good thing we know you have koi of I would wonder what kind of spirits you were distilling there.
I love the pictures of you platinums, they are all such a perfect uniform color ( or lack of color, as the case may be) and to seethat many of them all swimming togehter is a real treat.

Greg Stienstra
01-14-2008, 12:22 AM
Today Barb and I sorted out the butterflies. Out of the 204 I have left about 34 are standard fin.
Of the remaining butterflies of which there are platinum ogon, platinum ogon doitsu, platinum ogon/matsuba and platinum ogon/matsuba doitsu.
28 are 4 to 4.5" long.
45 are 5 to 5.5" long.
50 are 6 to 6.5" long.
47 are 7 to 8.5" long
Also some of the butterflies have extremely long fins and is more pronounced on the smaller koi.
One night this week I'll photograph the 6" ones. They look much better in a black tub.
Photo 1 is the 7 to 8.5" platinum ogon doitsu shown in photos 2 through 5.
Photos 2 and 3 are of the same group, 7 to 7.5" platinum ogon doitsu.
Photos 4 and 5 are of the same group, 8 to 8.5" platinum ogon doitsu.
Photos 6 and 7 are the same group, 7 to 8.5" platinum ogons.
Photos 8 and 9 are the same group, 7 to 8.5" platinum ogon/matsubas.
Photos 10 and 11 are the same group, 7 to 8.5" platinum ogon/matsuba doitsu.

shipisland
01-14-2008, 10:12 PM
Greg they are looking bigger,and looking good.How your system working?

Zac Penn
01-14-2008, 11:16 PM
What are you doing with all of these?

Greg Stienstra
01-15-2008, 12:24 AM
Greg they are looking bigger,and looking good.How your system working?

Thanks Michael. I really like the new filter setup.

Greg Stienstra
01-15-2008, 12:30 AM
What are you doing with all of these?

I'll be selling most of them. I wanted to see how they develope before I quote prices. Thinking about another pond just for a dozen of platinums.

Archivesisis
01-15-2008, 01:00 AM
Leave it to the spouse to find out, (always the last to know)
(a first)
at KOIPHEN!

Greg Stienstra
01-16-2008, 01:22 AM
Tonight Barb and I took photos of the 6 to 6.5" butterflies.

Can't post any more photos.
I get this message

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 4000 bytes) in /home/koiphen/public_html/forums/includes/class_image.php on line 1418

Greg Stienstra
01-16-2008, 08:57 AM
Photos of the 6 to 6.5" butterflies.
Photos 1, 2 & 3 are the same group of platinum ogon doitsu.
Photos 4, 5 & 6 are the same group of platinum ogons.
Photos 8, 9 & 10 are the same group of platinum ogon/matsubas.
I think the black along the dorsal fin of the ogon/matsubas appears to be fading as they grow.

Late last night I was having trouble posting photos. This morning they uploaded fine.

Ellie
01-17-2008, 09:17 PM
They are beautiful babies.

Greg Stienstra
01-19-2008, 02:13 AM
After much thought I have decided on these prices. They are only 6 1/2 months old now. While the smaller ones have grown 3/4" each month they could really take off in their second year. They would do fine in a smaller pond. The larger ones have grown 1.25" each month. I think by the end of this season could be 18" long with the right conditions, large pond with deep clean water and allot of food. I feel that the doitsu are worth 25% more, they really look good. They are getting plenty of vitamin C. They devour the oranges I feed them every other night. Tonight I tried a grapefruit which was picked clean. I have put allot of time and effort into raising these guys. The water gets changed every 2nd or 3rd night. The tanks are totally cleaned out once a week. I would discount on a purchase of six or more. Shipping could be arranged.
I can be reached at 845-239-3014.

4 to 5" platinum ogon $40
5 to 6" platinum ogon $65
6 to 7" platinum ogon $80
7 to 8" platinum ogon $95
8 to 9" platinum ogon $110
4 to 5" platinum ogon doitsu $50
5 to 6" platinum ogon doitsu $80
6 to 7" platinum ogon doitsu $100
7 to 8" platinum ogon doitsu $120
8 to 9" platinum ogon doitsu $135

shipisland
01-19-2008, 03:55 AM
After communicating with greg's assistant almost on a daily basis, i can attest to greg committment to these tosai development.Everything he stated about the care of these koi are true, plus more.The dedication he has shown in perfecting,and the upkeep of his filtration system has led me to improve my own.

Greg Stienstra
01-20-2008, 02:32 PM
Yesterday afternoon a fellow from Long Island drove up to see my butterflies. He bought four 4" butterflies and three 5" standard fins. I need more tanks so I can sort out the butterflies better. I'll probably build one out of wood with a liner. I need to have the water at least 36" deep.

Greg Stienstra
02-08-2008, 11:55 PM
I've started to make a 300 gallon tank. It will be 8' by 34" by 24" high. It'll be a holding tank with dividers in it. Then I'll be able to photograph a group of butterflies and keep them separate from the others.

See this link;
http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73187

Greg Stienstra
03-03-2008, 01:23 AM
Today I cleaned the filters & tanks and refilled with fresh water. While the water level was at 12" I decided to take some more photos.
The first 8 photos are of the butterflies in the 300 gallon tank. Some are 11" long already. There are some standard fin in this tank.
Photos 9 through 15 are of the butterflies in the 150 gallon tank. They range in size from 6 to 8".
The last photo shows how they clean the oranges.
Maybe this week I'll be able to finish the 300 gallon wooden tank. Then I can sort them out better.

Gordon Parr
03-03-2008, 08:18 AM
Very Nice!

rainblood
03-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Incredible! Most of us end up with crapagoi in our spawns but you've managed to raise real koi :clap: :clap: :clap: How many do you have left? 200? Thats probably going to become a problem really fast.
Keep the pics comin :punk1: :yahoo: :D:

Greg Stienstra
03-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Incredible! Most of us end up with crapagoi in our spawns but you've managed to raise real koi :clap: :clap: :clap: How many do you have left? 200? Thats probably going to become a problem really fast.
Keep the pics comin :punk1: :yahoo: :D:

Yes, there's about 200 left. 35 are standard fin ogons and around 40 butterflies are pond grade. The remaining 125 look pretty good. Some are 6 to 8" long and their fins are longer in proportion to their length then the 10-11" ones. As soon as the water warms up I'll put 30 or 40 of the best butterflies in my pond.I think I'll change the pricing according to their quality and not length.

Koidaddy
03-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Beautiful koi ~ and yes, a price change would be good - You'll move them much faster.

KD
:clap:

Koidaddy
03-03-2008, 07:44 PM
PS: If you lived closer, I'd take one or two!:yes:

DebbieKSW
03-03-2008, 08:47 PM
They are great.I recently bought a small doitsu platinum myself.
I hope you can find buyers.

kpaxx
04-26-2008, 06:35 AM
platinum ogon's are indeed an eye catcher! i can'r wait to own a few....congrats to you new babies!

Ethan25
06-10-2008, 03:11 PM
any recent pics, Greg? how are things going?

Joey S
06-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Yes, someone in NY was just looking for butterfly Koi.

Hirogoi
06-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Ummm, if you ship I'd like to buy like five. Can you pm prices for the longest finned fish?

Greg Stienstra
06-10-2008, 04:40 PM
Hi Everyone!

Sorry I have not been on koiphen much these past few months. I've been very busy working. I've still have around 100 assorted butterflies ranging from 8 to 12" in lenght. The smaller ones I've sold to a local garden center. Depending on size, quality and quantity bought the prices are $75 to $125 each.

Last Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday I had two koi spawn each day. If I had the room and time I would have separated the Chagoi pair. But it's allot of work raising them.

Thanks
Greg
845-239-3014

Susan Reed
06-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Greg I would like to see some updated pictures please and maybe interested in getting one or 2 from you depending on how much shipping will be.

tyco4357
06-11-2008, 07:48 AM
I live in New Jersey....Hi neighbor...your fish are beautiful. Just one word of precaution. Don't overload. You really need to move those babies or sell some. All the same they are beautiful. Your pond is also beautiful. You should be very proud. I just had to move some of my large koi to a friend of Pennsylvania because they were all close to 36" and I had 10 large ones.

Greg Stienstra
06-23-2008, 01:00 AM
Here on updated photos taken Sunday night. A few are standard fin in the 300 gallon tank shown in photos 1 through 4. They range from 9 to 12" long. Last week I took out ten 11 to 12" koi and moved them to my pond. I also took a video with my camera phone. But the file extension is 3G2 and I can't play with windows media player 11.

premster
06-26-2008, 11:44 PM
U are gonna end up with some monsters in those tubs soon .

Greg Stienstra
06-27-2008, 10:53 PM
The 9 to 10" butterflies are $95 each.
If you buy 6 or more then they are $75 each.
Shipping via Fedex or UPS over night to the west coast is exspensive. I set up a 14x14x14" box lined with 1" foam.
Two koi and 4.5" of water it weighs almost 20#, shipping would be $175 to $200.
6 to 8 koi the box would weigh about 25#, shipping would be $200 to $235.
I go by the rates Fedex shows on their web site plus $35 to cover cost of shipping material and driving 35 miles round trip to fedex.
I don't get the discounted shipping rate the retailers get.

Greg Stienstra
07-07-2008, 06:18 PM
I sold a dozen 9 to 11" butterflies today to a garden center in Spring Valley, N.Y. I'm sure they will be sold retail in the $125 to $150 price range. On July 2nd they were one year old and many are over 12" long now.

DebbieKSW
07-07-2008, 08:17 PM
I am sure that they will sell like hotcakes...Then they will want some more Greg.
Lovely koi.

rainblood
07-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Try posting on craigslist. I know its kind of creepy having strangers show up at your house, but... I've gotten good response when I posted to thin my herd. BTW - them be some well feed fishies :D:

kev
08-10-2008, 12:23 PM
tyco,
where are you from in jersey?

Greg Stienstra
08-10-2008, 02:12 PM
This past week I moved 90 of the Platinums to their new home, a 12 ft round 3400 gallon above ground pool.

Hirogoi
08-10-2008, 05:43 PM
They look really good with that blue backdrop.

Greg Stienstra
08-13-2008, 12:22 AM
49 scaled butterflies
16 doitsu butterflies
31 scaled standard fin
18 doitsu standard fin
All range in size from 8 to 14" long

tyco4357
08-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Yup, I am a Jersey girl. North Jersey. Where are you from? (Parsippany)

:cheer:

Those fish have really grown and look absolutely gorgeous. Good job and good luck selling. Shouldn't have a problem with fish that look like that!

JanR
08-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Wow!!!!! Those are beautiful fish.

Greg Stienstra
08-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Yup, I am a Jersey girl. North Jersey. Where are you from? (Parsippany)

:cheer:

Those fish have really grown and look absolutely gorgeous. Good job and good luck selling. Shouldn't have a problem with fish that look like that!

I'm about 56 miles from you in Goshen, NY

Midorigoi
08-13-2008, 11:12 PM
Those babies look beautiful, they are schooling nicely in there :yes:

tyco4357
08-13-2008, 11:15 PM
:yes: I could actually take a ride and come and see your fish.....hmmmmmm.... Oh, and by the way, if you want another pool, I am selling mine. 24 round, muskin, liner 3 years old pebblebottom, 1 1/2 horsepower pump. 4 ft. high

Greg Stienstra
09-15-2008, 01:23 AM
Last week I sold two butterflies to the dealer that I bought the parents from in 2006. Saturday I sold 5 to a guy from Morristown, NJ. So now I'm down to 86 in the 12 foot pool.

Greg Stienstra
10-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Sorry, I thought I posted these photos already. They were taken August 15th.

Greg Stienstra
10-11-2008, 10:25 AM
About 30% of this spawn are standard fins. These photos were taken Sept. 17th. They are 14 months old then and range in size from 10 to 15" long. On Sept. 28 a fellow from NJ bought four large female standard fins for breeding stock. So now I have 82 butterfly and standard fin left. Four of the eight pictured are females.

Archivesisis
10-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Greg...

Greg Stienstra
11-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Here are some photos of 14 to 15" Platinum Ogons. These are all females. I also have many 12" and a few 10" ogons. There are 82 left in my 12 foot pool. I don't know why but I have allot of females. I can ship if anyone is interested.

Midorigoi
11-09-2008, 03:43 PM
They're beautiful! How much are you selling them for???

tyco4357
11-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Greg, they are gorgeous! They have grown beautifully! You are about 2 and 1/2 hours away from me. Maybe in the Spring if you have any left.

Hirogoi
11-10-2008, 01:10 AM
I want a few, but shipping is what kills me.

Archivesisis
11-14-2008, 02:16 PM
The Shop, The Yard...

Archivesisis
11-24-2008, 08:23 AM
Words cannot express the grief one feels when one loses love. Then again, wise words can heal wounds and help us reflect on the tragedy--

"Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart." Washington Irving

"Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a teardrop." Anonymous

"'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all."
Alfred Lord Tennyson

"To know how to grow old is the master work of wisdom, and one of the most difficult chapters in the great art of living. "
Henri Frederic Amiel

"Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you'll find one at the end of your arm... As you grow older you will discover that you have two hands. One for helping yourself, the other for helping others."
Audrey Hepburn
Henri Frederic Amiel

"The quality, not the longevity, of one's life is what is important."
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr

"Fly free and happy beyond birthdays and across forever, and we'll meet now and then when we wish, in the midst of the one celebration that never can end."
Richard Bach

Happy Birthday, and may the rest of your birthdays in the future bring you everything
you thirst for.
Love,
Barbara

Greg Stienstra
11-26-2008, 01:53 AM
Sunday morning I awoke to find the 5 drain lines had started to freeze. So I had to get the kerosene heater out, cover the filter with a few tarps and thaw everything out. I disconnected the pump and UV light. I removed the 2" PVC line to the pool. I'm going to rap the 4" PVC line and knife valve with heat and insulation. Then plug it into a standard receptacle not a GFI. I don't want it tripping in the middle of the night. Still have to cover and wrap the pool.

thinh_tran911
02-16-2009, 10:36 PM
hi im very interested in you platinum kois. do you have any in 3-4 inch size i can buy i live in charlotte NC

Greg Stienstra
02-21-2009, 08:38 AM
hi im very interested in you platinum kois. do you have any in 3-4 inch size i can buy i live in charlotte NC

Hi there!

I don't have any Platinum koi under 10"

Greg Stienstra
04-09-2009, 10:51 AM
These 75 Platinums are 21 months old now. Some are only 10" long, but most are over 14" and a few are 16". I also have 25 in my 9200 gallon pond.

Hirogoi
05-20-2009, 09:12 PM
They're so pretty.

cujo
05-20-2009, 10:21 PM
how much are you asking now can we have a pricing update

Hirogoi
05-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Try sending a PM.

Greg Stienstra
09-08-2010, 08:24 AM
I have only 11 Platinums left now, 5 butterflies and 6 standard fin. Eight are 20-23", two are 18" and one is 16". Here's photos of three of them, all females.
Photo 1, 21"; photo 2, 23" and photo 3, 18". It's very hard to catch my koi, have to drop the water down because of the lily pads. I'll post more photos later this fall.

Hirogoi
10-12-2010, 03:41 AM
Any pics of the butterflies?